alcohol and heart racing in morning?

Options
SO I find that when i drink alcohol, more than 2 drinks and ESPECIALLY if I have 4 drinks, that when I wake up at 6am (like clockwork even when I dont want to be awake) that my heart is RACING.

This morning I woke up and I put on my HRM and found that my heart was beating at the same rate as if I were mid spin class @ 165. Last night, from about 5pm - midnight I had about 4 coronas and a vodka drink (took a limo bus to city for a bday party at a drag queen show, but that is a whole other story) ...

I woke up at 6am again, heart racing, brain racing and anxious. I was okay once i got up and moved around.

You would think this would make me not drink, but i still do, only socially though.

Replies

• sabes2631
    sabes2631 Posts: 403
    Options
    SO I find that when i drink alcohol, more than 2 drinks and ESPECIALLY if I have 4 drinks, that when I wake up at 6am (like clockwork even when I dont want to be awake) that my heart is RACING.

This morning I woke up and I put on my HRM and found that my heart was beating at the same rate as if I were mid spin class @ 165. Last night, from about 5pm - midnight I had about 4 coronas and a vodka drink (took a limo bus to city for a bday party at a drag queen show, but that is a whole other story) ...

I woke up at 6am again, heart racing, brain racing and anxious. I was okay once i got up and moved around.

You would think this would make me not drink, but i still do, only socially though.
  • Simplicity
    Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Don't Panic lol.
    Hi I don't know if this is much use to you but....
    For several years i suffered with anxiety and panic dissorder. I did finally beat it with a bit of help form a lot of people and another website with mass support.
    I don't know and wouldn't like to say if you are at all like that but i posted and almost identical post to yours last year when i suddenly found that after drinking the next day i would be a nervous/anxious wreck with fast heartbeat. I know the feeling although it used to wreck my day. i guess its just alcohols way of saying im gonna make you feel bad. i still drink again now though again like you only socially.
    A lot of little worries can sometimes make a big worry and its sometimes very hard to see past the end of your nose when analysing yourself. im making no judgement this was me last year.
    The best way i combat it is lots of water before bed even if it means getting up in the night. and make sure i get at least 6 hours in otherwise im just drunk all day (well it feels like it only with the inhibitions jeez i hate that). I am typibng this now on a raving hangover at work lol. im not so anxious about it now though lol
    after re reading it doesn;t offer a lot of advice but ive written it now lol.
    Ben
  • sabes2631
    Options
    haha! me panic attacks? you are talking to the queen here!
    I had my first one freshman year in college in 1992. Since then, I have learned all of the coping mechanisms... and alas, although drinking sometimes calms me at the moment, the next day I am a shakey, nervous wreck with anxious stomach and angst... it sucks. I guess I shouldnt drink, but i do, although not too much.

I hate it. When I was on a trip to DC for work 2 weeks ago, we went out to a late dinner and I had wine. I was up at 5 30 am running around teh washington mall trying to burn off the freakish amount of "energy" i had.

Do you think it is my body's processing out what I drank, like withdrawal? Even though it was only a couple of beers?
  • Simplicity
    Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    i don't actually know what it was that helped me in the end. i did stop drinking for a while but i thought how can everyone else carry on and not me. i ended up having a bit of counselling and untangling the wires in me head. but it all just hormones rushing. adrenaline which sends you running in the morning its not excess energy but i bet you feel tired sometimes in the body but so awake in the mind its a very uncomfortable situation. i can;t really give proper advice but i don;t get the anxiety anymore 'less i have to get on a plane (in two weeks argh!!!)
    i tried all the yoga and self hypnosis too. and the best for keeping me asleep was burning essential oils alvender for some reason the smell filled my room and i slept like a baby. brilliant maybe try that too. i know it sounds alternative but i was at the end of my tether lol
    Ben
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Substances will always mess with you physically and emotionally, if you are dealing with certain states of mental illness. I should say mental health status, because that sounds better, because illness connotes negativity, so I do apologize for that. No offense intended!!

For instance, some of the meds for ADHD are a form of amphetamine. Given the nature of ADHD, you would think that an amphetamine would be the last thing someone with ADHD needs right>? In this case, it's a matter of "fighting fire with fire" and it has a calming effect that allows the ADHD person to focus for longer periods of time. If a "NORMAL" person takes that same med, they go NUTS.
    The point is, do some research on the effects of alcohol, avoid it and limit it, and see a doctor if you have not already done so.
  • nancyat48
    nancyat48 Posts: 11
    Options
    water, water, water....you need to drink lots of it, before, during and esp after drinking. I also suffered from anxiety attacks in the past but not much anymore. but i still get a racing and sometimes pounding heartbeat (i can see my chest move under my shirt) the morning after. just relax, drink to have fun but not to get wasted, intersperse with water and enjoy yourself...i hope this helps
  • sabes2631
    Options
    Definitely shouldnt drink at all since it makes me feel so crummy.
    Working out has helped my anxiety. Which I am hesitant to call a "mental illness" -- I call it more a an issue I deal with and learn to cope with.
    I will definitely try the essential oils... i have a book on them, but havent really used it.

I find that when life gets crazy, I get nuts inside... i have to remember to meditate and exercise and play with my dog and basically slow way the heck down!

Thanks!
  • cheli
    cheli Posts: 40
    Options
    I actually just read in a reputable magazine that alcohol is a CNS depressant at first, but a few hours after it metabolizes, it turns into a stimulant. Probably has something to do with the body breaking down the alcohol into simple sugars....and you know what a sugar high feels like right? lol. That's why they say having alcohol as a "night cap" may actually ruin your sleep rather than help you sleep (you'll fall asleep at first, but wake up in the middle of the night after the alcohol has metabolized).

I skimmed over some of the replies (didn't read them in detail) but I saw water mentioned quite a bit....actually, gatorade is the absolute best thing you can have. the low sugar or sugar free one though (low cal). you definatley don't need the extra sugar after having alcohol. anyway, although one theory of hangovers is that they are actually withdrawl symptoms, the other theory (which i think most people believe most) is due to dehydration since alcohol is a diuretic. When you urinate so much after drinking, you aren't only losing water, you are losing electrolytes. Gatorade (or powerade or something like it) helps replenish not only fluids, but your electrolytes. No matter how much I drink, if I manage to down a bottle of gatorade (a whole bottle) the next morning I barely have a hangover. I'm a bit tired but that's about it! Try it next time you drink. (I discovered it while in university ;)