Hiking boots advice needed

Options
Ok, all you avid hikers. I'm taking a big West Coast road trip next summer and we're planning to hit Yosemite and Yellowstone, and probably some other parks as well. I want some good hiking boots/shoes, and figured I should probably get them soon and start breaking them in.

So, what brands do you recommend?
thanks in advance for the advice!

Replies

• KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of montrail I wear exclusively hiking or backpacking. They've been great as far as stability goes - I definitely would have twisted an ankle many times without them. They are super comfortable for me.

I recommend going and trying them on in person. I tried several. They aren't pretty but they get the job done and at the end of the day they're so dirty/muddy I don't care how they look. I also recommend getting some good hiking socks - like light wool or something. The cotton ones I find are awful to hike in.

These are the one's I have, they look a lot better in person and I sure wish they were on sale when I was looking!
    I needed a boot to prevent ankle roll while carrying a big weekend pack up rocky trails.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___19442?cm_vc=PDPZ1

Good luck!
  • rsullivan
    rsullivan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Try Merrell.
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair of Mountrek from Bass Pro Shop a few months ago. I wore them for three days straight, and realized the left shoe seemed smaller than the right. I brought them back, and tried another pair (same size) and realized that pair had the same issue. I opted for a half size bigger, and had no problems. They are the best hiking shoes I ever had. Love em. The nice part is they were cheap (about $70). I buy shoes for function, and don't care how much they cost. If the $140 Timberlands felt better I would have bought them, but lucky for me the Mountreks felt best. I prefer a hiking shoe with a stiff (rigid) sole, which seems to be the point of a hiking shoe. These are the shoe's that I got (sure they have a womans version):
    http://www.basspro.com/Mountrek-Owen-Ridge-Mid-Hiking-Shoes-for-Men/product/10203047/122667
  • BeccaMovinUp
    Options
    I have a pair of Keens

http://www.keenfootwear.com/ca/en/product/fw11/shoes/women/trailhead/pyrenees/bison

There was no break in time and they are very comfortable and dry. The soles don't freeze in the cold and the leather remains somewhat rigid which is important for me because I have the weakest ankles on the planet! The only thing to get used to is the rubber toe protector, I tripped up the stairs a few times because the tip of the boot was longer than what i was used to...

Happy Hiking!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair of Mountrek from Bass Pro Shop a few months ago. I wore them for three days straight, and realized the left shoe seemed smaller than the right. I brought them back, and tried another pair (same size) and realized that pair had the same issue. I opted for a half size bigger, and had no problems. They are the best hiking shoes I ever had. Love em. The nice part is they were cheap (about $70). I buy shoes for function, and don't care how much they cost. If the $140 Timberlands felt better I would have bought them, but lucky for me the Mountreks felt best. I prefer a hiking shoe with a stiff (rigid) sole, which seems to be the point of a hiking shoe. These are the shoe's that I got (sure they have a womans version):
    http://www.basspro.com/Mountrek-Owen-Ridge-Mid-Hiking-Shoes-for-Men/product/10203047/122667
    LOL..my left foot is bigger than my right..maybe yours is too? Thanks, I have a Bass Pro Shop nearby too!

Thanks to the other posters for the advice. I definitely want to go try some on, just wasn't sure what was good!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I really like the EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports) house brand. They all have Vibram soles and no break in time. Also, look into Gortex and see if you will need to pay the extra money for it or not. Most of my hiking is done in New England and I find it necessary. Almost as important as the boots, make sure you do your research on socks!
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    The sales lady suggested that my left foot was bigger also. I know some folks are cursed with two different sized feet; but I am not one of them. Good luck on your search. Try on a bunch of shoes and walk around with them. After you decide and take a new pair home, wear them for a few days, and if they are not 100% to your liking, bring them back.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options
    I really like the EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports) house brand. They all have Vibram soles and no break in time. Also, look into Gortex and see if you will need to pay the extra money for it or not. Most of my hiking is done in New England and I find it necessary. Almost as important as the boots, make sure you do your research on socks!
    Thanks..I'll keep that in mind (someone else mentioned socks can be a huge issue too). I appreciate the advice. Its going to be a long trip with a lot of cool sites to see and I want to make sure I'm well equipped to enjoy it!
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    When your ready to step up to the big leagues and purchase a pair of boots that'll last a lifetime regardless of what you throw at them...You gotta buy a set of Danner's.

If there is one thing I learned in the USMC, it's to confide in Danner quality.
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    DP.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I would look at the brand of the sole, and the waterproofing, rather than the brand of the actual boot overall. I go walking a lot at weekends, and to be honest, I walked most of it in my battered up old falling apart boots from years ago, or my merrel walking trainers. I do love merrels, but I recently invested in some Miendl boots.
  • Legalchica
    Options
    When your ready to step up to the big leagues and purchase a pair of boots that'll last a lifetime regardless of what you throw at them...You gotta buy a set of Danner's.

I wear Danner's to work everyday! they are phenomenal :) Don't even need to be broken in.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options

I'm really hoping to buy one pair of boots that WILL last a lifetime, so I will check these out!
  • nukehiker
    Options
    I have a pair of merrells , with a hard outer sheel. very comfortable no break in needed and of course waterproof. I broke them in by hiking up Mt mitchell in NC I even on purpose walked through some water standing in water near boot high and to my surprise I actually stayed dry !! and of course like a previous poster said invest in some really good socks.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    The ones that fit the best are going to be the best boots.

I think Keen and Solomon are the best brands that are widely available, but there are tons of good boots out there. Go somewhere, try on everything they have in the store and buy what fits the best.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    You should really go to a outdoor store like REI and have someone fit you with some hiking boots. A good sales associate will be able to look at your foot and determine what brand is best for YOU, For example someone recommend Montrails, I bought a pair of those and hated them they were not comfortable to me but may suit someone else just fine. Again, it is what brand fits you best but I have had the best luck out of KEENS and they were comfortable from the moment I put them on. I do a lot of hiking and backpacking and know that above anything else your boots need to fit properly.

anybody who loves Montrail want a pair of boots? They were worn once and are a size Womens 10, trying to get rid of them.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I don't like to hike in boots so I may not be the best person to comment. In fact, the past two summers I've hiked in Keen Sandals.

I have a pair of Keen Targhee's. I have not done any real long hikes in them, but they seem to be OK on the hikes I have done. They are really warm though. If it's hot out, like above 80 F, they may not be the best thing to go with. However, when it's cold out they're an excellent casual shoe.