One Year of MFP - Justin Beiber Was RIGHT!

Options

Replies

• KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Fantastic, you look so happy and so you should...
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Absolutely inspirational! Glad to see you so happy, you look great! I know you will get that medal!
  • letmebeda1_wechange
    Options
    congrats! you look great! i'm new and now i'm even more excited and looking forward to be putting up pictures like yours with my success story. keep up the great job!
  • raige123
    raige123 Posts: 352
    Options
    Justin was right... we SHOULD "Never Say Never!"

One year ago today, I started Couch to 5k to prepare for Warrior Dash in June, and joined MFP to track my progress. It was one week into my decision to get in shape. I still didn't think I could lose weight - why should I believe I could when every other attempt failed - but it was also the first day I got on a scale and realized I weighed ten pounds more than I thought I did, at 160#. If I was 150#, I was comfortable being about 15# over what I considered my ideal weight of 135, but I absolutely REFUSED to be 25# heavier!

My first day of C25K, I took my dog with me. A Pekingese. Pekes have about three inch legs and aren't known for their athleticism. It was ROUGH. I didn't have a stop watch, so I counted the seconds in my head, and probably didn't quite complete the workout as suggested. And it wasn't the little dog's fault. Damn, was I out of shape! I had doubts I could ever do this, but I was determined. The next time, I left the dog at home, and didn't fair much better. Then we had a snowstorm, Christmas, another snowstorm, and I knew the only way to keep at it was to join a gym, and I did.

Since then, I've kept up with the running, completing seven 5k races, a 4.5 miler, a 5 miler, a 10k, and 3.5 mile Warrior Dash. I've become addicted to it, and keep pushing myself to go faster. I picked up a couple of medals for best in age group in a 5k, and 2nd in group for the 10k, and my best time for a 5k has so far been 24:59. Today, I timed myself going one (cold and windy) mile in 7:16, and my goal is to win a trophy next. I gotta get a lot faster and I'll probably have to find a small race that all the area's best women aren't competing in to win, but it's still my goal. :smile: Plus, I always run better with competition.

A year ago, I had exercise and old weather induced asthma. It took me over an hour to stop wheezing after exerting myself in the cold. Now? I was a little raspy when I got back from my 5.6 miles today, but I was fine within 10 minutes. No albuterol required.

I've also started strength training in July. Prior to that, I only did body weight and stuff with a 5# dumbbells. I love how my body has been transforming with weights.

All told, I lost about 35 pounds since I signed up on here, then "gained" about 4-5 back since going on maintenance in October. I'm not sweating that "gain" though, because at 125# I bought size 7 jeans, and at 130#, I bought the same brand in 5, and the size 3 almost fit, but squished my bum in an unflattering way. :tongue:

I don't have any photos at my starting weight that show how I really looked. But I do have one I took about a month into my weight loss, down 6# and feeling really good about how I looked. I was about to go to Zumba class, which was also a humbling experience because I have two left feet and no rhythm. I still can't dance, but I look a lot better now.

before-after-1.jpg

IMG_3035.jpg

IMG_3071.jpg

I loved these jeans, and was sad that a year ago, I had to undo the top button to wear them comfortably. They were a very stretchy size 8, but I typically wore 10 or 12.

IMG_3075.jpg

Now, I'm happy to be a "loser" in misses' 2 or 4, or juniors' 5.

Thank you, MFP for making this transformation seem almost... easy! I worked my bum literally off, but I enjoyed myself and never felt deprived, hungry or frustrated. (Yay for exercise calories!!!!) And thank YOU to all my friends who've been so motivational and inspirational. I know I couldn't have done this without you all, and my uncontrolled addiction to this website. :drinker:

Amazing!!! :)
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    You look fantastic!! Thanks for being an inspiration!
  • lupa01
    lupa01 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! I've ran across your pics on here before and always thought the same thing, "Wow! I wanna be like her!"lol You are such an inspiration! May you have continued success, no doubt that you will!:-)
  • missmegs1908
    missmegs1908 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You look AMAZING! Thank you so much for sharing :)
    I am just starting on my running journey and hope I can one day be where you are!
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    holy *kitten*, look at those abs!
  • jewel6018
    jewel6018 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous! So tone and fit. Thank you for sharing you have worked hard but you are right mfp makes it much easier even though it is still a lot of work. Thanks for the inspiration. You look great!!!!
  • kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Amazing! You look fantastic!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everybody! :smile:

I was looking at my pics from last holiday season on FB, and while there's no good full body pics to use as "befores," there's still a lot of changes to my face!

before-after2.jpg

And my color, too. Since eating better, my skin has a more golden hue. I sunscreen out the wazoo and don't tan. I always thought I had alabaster skin. Now, I'm more golden-ivory. :laugh:
  • MrsNoir
    MrsNoir Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    First of all, you look all gorgeous!! Glad you've done it, your body is looking amazing! I wish i could get any close to how your tummy is looking now!:D

Second... and what call my attention to this post: Justin Bieber is right? I'm afraid there are sayings dating from around 3000 years BC based on that philosophy of not giving up your dreams, blah blah blah.. I'm sorry, I don't even know the guy or the music he does, but I bet he's no better than Socrates back in the ancient Greece... those were revealing thoughts, whatever we say now it's been based on what we've read from them, in one way or another, and I guess not even those ancient greek guys made that philosophy, perhaps they were just retransmitting what they heard before. I think the only thing that is new in our times is technology, to be honest. If you read any books from whoever, you'll find that sentence quite often. :D, so please don't merit Justin Bieber for it, he's just repeating perhaps what his mother said to him, whose grandfather told her one day, who got told by ... who knows!:D
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Way to go girl!
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    One of my fav MFPers! Terrific success and story, Great job!!!
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new here, but I love your posts, Lorina!! They are very inspiring and you look absolutely fantastic!!
    Btw--I have a Peke girl, too! She's awesome, but no, not a runner!
  • ncwingnut71
    ncwingnut71 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!!!
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic!!!! Amazing transformation! Congratulations!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    so please don't merit Justin Bieber for it, he's just repeating perhaps what his mother said to him, whose grandfather told her one day, who got told by ... who knows!:D

Lol... trust me, my tongue was firmly in cheek when I credited the Biebs! :laugh:

I'm 39 years old and have much more sophisticated role models. Like Albus Dumbledore. :wink: “It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”
  • hcn74
    hcn74 Posts: 214
    Options
    Wonderful transformation! Congratulations on your success.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I hope to look as good as you when I turn 39 in the not so distant future! Way to go!
    :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!