Couch to 5K

Options
Has anyone had any success with the Couch to 5K programs? We are thinking about starting a Walking/Running Club at work and using this program as the basis with a goal of participating in the Susan G. Koman event in May 2012. We would meet 2 days a week as a group and workout on our own the rest of the week.

Opinions? Suggestions? Ideas?

Replies

• kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Just did my first day of it! My kids did it with me, too. Good way to build up to running.
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    This is a fantastic program! I used to become a beginner runner and ran my first race this past summer! I love running!!!
  • tfemerson
    Options
    Go for it! I'm a runner and I went from post pregnancy on the couch to a marathon in a year. It absolutely changed my life. You can run that 5K with no problem and I promise you'll get addicted to running - best vice ever! :smile:
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I'll be starting week 7 today. I've never been a runner and have historically never done much running unless I had to and always hated every minute of it. I started this program 6 weeks ago and now I really enjoy running. I'm using the "5K Runner" iPhone app. Today I'll be up to a 20 minute run. I went to a running store and got fitted for shoes a couple of weeks ago and that made a ton of difference.
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    just started c25k and am on week 1 day 3. Love it so far.
  • Toenges1
    Toenges1 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    bump
  • swatts7622
    swatts7622 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It is awesome! My 8 year old is doing it with me too!
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Best thing I ever did! I started at end of July never had run before in my life (I barely walked anywhere since I started driving 8 years ago) and now I'm training for a half marathon, Running it something I LOVE! Never thought Is say that but I do and now run 4 days a week come, sun rain or snow! All because of C25K, get it don't :)
  • aranchmom
    aranchmom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I just started yesterday. I am hoping to keep up with the program (vs. flaking out again). I enjoy running - but don't take the time alot.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    C25K is a great program to begin running. I used it, and have now run multiple 5Ks, a 10K and have an upcoming 8K in February. I am 55 and never run before in my life, and now run at least 3 times a week (3 miles each time).
  • Teresa3612
    Teresa3612 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement! I will share this with the group.:smile:
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Great program. Has good results for almost anyone who follows it
  • naturallygr8full
    Options
    All of your post are very encouraging! Do you have advise on how to start training in the cold?
  • Evanstl
    Evanstl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am starting this program on Monday 12/26!!
  • Lazytoad2001
    Lazytoad2001 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi

I never ever thought I would be a runner or enjoy it so much. WIth the help of C25K I now run 5k twice a week :)

My advice would be follow the plan, repeat weeks if you feel you need to, slow down rather than stop if it feels too hard and lastly to save yourself injury get fitted for some running shoes.

Good luck let us know how you get on.

K x