Gullty!!

Options
I have changed my settings to only lose half a pound a week, to give me 1500 cals a day over the christmas period instead of 1250 ish, but I feel so guilty! I made this as a concious choice instead of trying to stick to it and busting it! this is only till boxing day!

why do I feel so bad????

Replies

• sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't feel bad...enjoy yourself over the holidays, don't overindulge and as long as you maintain and don't gain, you will do just fine!
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty. I have to eat around 1400-I quit losing when I went down to 1200 like MFP told me to. But I'll probably go up to maintenance for Christmas Holiday. The time with family is too important for me to be stressing over calories.

I will consider myself a success as long as I don't gain. :smile:

*and even if I do gain a little it'll be ok. I gained 5lbs over Thanksgiving :laugh: But it came off quickly
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i did it too. don't feel bad.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I actually decreased my calories during the week so I have a little leftover for the weekend and holiday binges....I don't even keep track of calories then.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    You're being realistic. Not a bad idea.
  • sexymewannabe
    Options
    my weekend are very hard, if it all goes wrong its at the weekend! maybe I should try that! I have planned everything today and just keep thinking - maybe i should leave bits off ! but then thinking whats the point in increasing it!

my stupid brain
  • sexymewannabe
    Options
    having said that I have eaten 1200 for 2 years without much variance, it feels like brushing my teeth with the wrong hand - perfectly ok but also wrong x
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's probably at least partly fear. Fear that you'll undo all the good you've done. Fear you'll get too used to the extra calories and will have trouble going back. As long as it's just a little guilt it's probably a healthy thing that will keep from making those fears a reality.

Enjoy the season without going crazy. That is what new's years resoultions are for after all. :wink:
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I'm concerned that you're feeling *guilty* over slowing down this process a little and tweaking the numbers. Where does this come from? (You don't have to answer here - just maybe something to think about.)

It's okay to take time to do this. Do what you need to do to make this process work for you long term. Be good to yourself not only physically, but emotionally. If it takes a little longer and helps you keep your sanity - isn't that worth it?
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I also did the same thing, and am pretty darn happy with my choice. In fact, I had been kinda stuck, but in the first week at the higher calorie count, lost a pound. I'm going to see how it goes, but I might not even change back after the holidays. Those extra couple hundred calories seem to make things easier. Good luck and don't feel guilty. Losing is losing.
  • madameduffay
    madameduffay Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have changed my settings to only lose half a pound a week, to give me 1500 cals a day over the christmas period instead of 1250 ish, but I feel so guilty! I made this as a concious choice instead of trying to stick to it and busting it! this is only till boxing day!

why do I feel so bad????

Guilt is the road to sabotage. It's not like you are making these decisions on the fly. You assessed your situation and made a conscious choice about your lifestyle over the next couple of weeks. Really, how different is that kind of thinknig from what you probably used to do; i.e. last minute decision to up your daily count by a few hundred because of some tempting treat (that's what I used to do).
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing.
  • sexymewannabe
    Options
    I had thought about setting to maintenance calories but that would be even more guilt provoking! I must chillout but the thought of undoing my hard work is very scarey
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I had thought about setting to maintenance calories but that would be even more guilt provoking! I must chillout but the thought of undoing my hard work is very scarey

You'll only undo your hard work if you keep over eating after the holidays. :smile: I look at this as more of a pause. Just like a movie or something. I'll come back after my break & start it right back up where I stopped.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    don't feel guilty, I eat at least 1500-2000 calories on a regular basis anyway, lol. enjoy and log your food, and the best tip I remember is to eat the things you can only get at the holiday time, not your regular chips and things. and drink plenty water ! have fantastic Christmas
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    you might even find that it stimulates more loss! don't feel bad!
  • DottieNewton
    DottieNewton Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I changed mine around Thanksgiving. I was trying to lose 2 lbs a week and now I am only trying for the 1 lb. Perhaps maintenance would be good for a couple of weeks. But, I am afraid I will get used to those extra calories again. If I can not gain during the next two weeks I will be mighty pleased!! We have to learn to manage food in such away we can live with it the rest of our lives.I believe it would be unrealistic to think we would never indulge in treats occasionally.