6 Habits to Chisel a Solid 6-Pack

Options
Several of my clients have mid sections that would be the envy of others their age range and gender but they still may not be exactly where they want to be. Hitting the abs varied, hard and frequently is very important but there are other considerations just as important.

6 Habits to Chisel a Solid 6-Pack

By Bill Hartman, P.T., C.S.C.S.

If you can't see your abs, don't assume it's because you're missing out on a magical abdominal exercise or secret supplement. Blame your mindset.

You see, losing belly flab is a boring process. It requires time, hard work, and most important, dedication. Take the right steps every single day, and you'll ultimately carve out your six-pack. But if you stray from your plan even a few times a week—which most men do—you'll probably never see your abs.

The solution: six simple habits, which I teach to my clients to help them strip away their lard for good. Think of these habits as daily goals designed to keep you on the fast track to a fit-looking physique. Individually they're not all that surprising, but together they become a powerful tool.

The effectiveness of this tool is even supported by science. At the University of Iowa, researchers determined that people are more likely to stick with their fat-loss plans when they concentrate on specific actions instead of the desired result. So rather than focusing on abs that show, follow my daily list of nutrition, exercise, and lifestyle strategies for achieving that rippled midsection.

The result: automatic abs.

Wake Up to Water

Imagine not drinking all day at work—no coffee, no water, no diet soda. At the end of an 8-hour shift, you'd be pretty parched. This is precisely why you should start rehydrating immediately after a full night’s slumber. From now on, drink at least 16 ounces of chilled H2O as soon as you rise in the morning. German scientists recently found that doing this boosts metabolism by 24 percent for 90 minutes afterward. (A smaller amount of water had no effect.) What's more, a previous study determined that muscle cells grow faster when they're well hydrated. A general rule of thumb: Guzzle at least a gallon of water over the course of a day.

Eat Breakfast Every Day

A University of Massachusetts study showed that men who skip their morning meal are 4 1/2 times more likely to have bulging bellies than those who don't. So within an hour of waking, have a meal or proteins shake with at least 250 calories. British researchers found that breakfast size was inversely related to waist size. That is, the larger the morning meal, the leaner the midsection. But keep the meal's size within reason: A 1,480-calorie smoked-sausage scramble at Denny's is really two breakfasts, so cap your intake at 500 calories. For a quick way to fuel up first thing, I like this recipe: Prepare a package of instant oatmeal and mix in a scoop of whey protein powder and 1/2 cup of blueberries.

As You Eat, Review Your Goals ....

Don't worry; I'm not going all Tony Robbins on you. (I don't have enough teeth.) But it's important that you stay aware of your mission. University of Iowa scientists found that people who monitored their diet and exercise goals most frequently were more likely to achieve them than were goal setters who rarely reviewed their objectives.

. . . And Then Pack Your Lunch

My personal Igloo cooler just celebrated its 19th anniversary. I started carrying it with me every day back in college. Of course, it often housed a six-pack of beer—until I decided to compete in the Purdue bodybuilding championship. (Second place, by the way.) Once I knew I'd have to don a banana hammock in public (the world's best motivator), I began to take the contents of my cooler seriously. And so should you. In fact, this habit should be as much a part of your morning ritual as showering. Here's what I recommend packing into your cooler.

• An apple (to eat as a morning snack)
• Two slices of cheese (to eat with the apple)
• A 500- to 600-calorie portion of leftovers (for your lunch)
• A premixed protein shake or a pint of milk (for your afternoon snack)

By using this approach, you'll keep your body well fed and satisfied throughout the day without overeating. You'll also provide your body with the nutrients it needs for your workout, no matter what time you exercise. Just as important, you'll be much less likely to be tempted by the office candy bowl. In fact, my personal rule is simple: I don't eat anything that's not in the cooler.

Exercise the Right Way (Dependent on a person’s fitness level)

Everyone has abs, even if people can't always see them because they're hidden under a layer of flab. That means you don't need to do endless crunches to carve out a six-pack. Instead, you should spend most of your gym time burning off blubber.

The most effective strategy is a one-two approach of weight-lifting and high-intensity interval training. According to a recent University of Southern Maine study, half an hour of pumping iron burns as many calories as running at a 6-minute-per-mile pace for the same duration. (And it has the added benefit of helping you build muscle.) What's more, unlike aerobic exercise, lifting has been shown to boost metabolism for as long as 39 hours after the last repetition. Similar findings have been noted for intervals, which are short, all-out sprints interspersed with periods of rest.

For the best results, do a total-body weight-training workout 3 days a week, resting at least a day between sessions. Then do an interval-training session on the days in between.

Skip the Late Shows

You need sleep to unveil your six-pack. That's because lack of shut-eye may disrupt the hormones that control your ability to burn fat. For instance, University of Chicago scientists recently found that just 3 nights of poor sleep may cause your muscle cells to become resistant to the hormone insulin. Over time, this leads to fat storage around your belly.

To achieve a better night's sleep, review your goals again 15 minutes before bedtime. And while you're at it, write down your plans for the next day's work schedule, as well as any personal chores you need to accomplish. This can help prevent you from lying awake worrying about tomorrow ("I have to remember to e-mail Johnson"), which can cut into quality snooze time.

Ronald J Adams

Certified Personal Fitness Trainer

Replies

• ljholmann
    Options
    Would this strategy work for women as well?
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Lots of stupid crap in that article
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

Some of the details are stupid, but if you just skim it, the advice is actually not bad. Drinking water, packing your lunch, and getting sleep are things we should all do. I don't think I need a gallon of water a day, but I definitely find that two quarts of water are better than one, and one is better than none. Once I get past three quarts, it's all just pee. I do find that I am thirsty right out of bed too. If I don't drink a few ounces of water right when I wake up, I get nosebleeds. I think that my mucous membranes dry up in the night with all the breathing, and then in the morning I get all crusty faced and drinking water and inhaling steam from the shower clears it up.

Although, I don't know how any of this will affect my abs. From what I understand, I can have awesome abs all day long, but if the fat on my belly covers them up, no one will know they are there.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options

a lot bro in that article... some good points (sleep and water is important, but breakfast is a personal preference)

getting a 6-pack = low body fat = moderate and consistent calorie deficit + consistent, challenging lifting + adequate protein
  • Strobins05
    Options
    Bump, Great info, Thanks
  • Spearo
    Spearo Posts: 47
    Options

Haha, agreed.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Getting a six pack is simple. Reduce your body fat until the muscle shows through. There's no special trick to it. And unfortunately, some people (a relatively small percentage) are just genetically predisposed to carry their essential fat in their abdomen and will never have a six pack.

It's all diet, not magic.
  • Bheller234
    Options
    I want to know if it would work for women too.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It's basically a junk article, it won't work for anybody. Like I already said, there's no secret, magic way to get a six pack.

It's all diet, reducing body fat.
  • mexy04
    mexy04 Posts: 96
    Options
    Interesting...lots of genes contribute to this as well
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info.
  • caseyp1122
    caseyp1122 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Water and sleep are the keys to a solid 6 pack? Guess I have been wasting my time running and doing crunches lol....good intent on the article, terrible delivery.
  • ronadams52
    ronadams52 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I knew this topic would open up a Pandora’s Box and I will try to clarify a few negative comments.

First, on my behalf I have been training males and females aged 15 to 86 since 1988. Of these I have trained several men and women who have competed in Tri-State Body Building shows. As examples they placed first in the Illinois Iron Man Bodybuilding competition and 2nd and 5th in the Midwest All Natural Body Building competition. Secondly, I generally review articles prior to posting for overall content and the info in this article was taken from a very reputable source so I would not be too concerned about those who may disagree. Who knows what their credentials are but I do know the authors.

I would reiterate the article by saying -

I do believe that breakfast is the most important meal. It gets your metabolism super charged to begin your day.

Abdominal crunches strengthen muscle but do not remove fat.

For beginner and intermediate level clients I generally prescribe varied weight training 3 days a week with cardio 3 - 5 days a week. Body builders and power lifters are usually in the gym 6 days a week for 1 - 2 hours.

On the comment about water consider this -

"Just How Important Is Drinking Water to Your Health?"

Water is often overlooked and its importance cannot be overstated. Water is the most important nutrient in our body.

The health benefits of water are just too numerous to go without mention. Drinking water for general good health and especially for our purpose, building muscle is a very important topic and shouldn't be neglected.

Water is the most critical nutrient for health, growth, and development. Water is also the most abundant nutrient in the body, not to mention the most important.

Although water does not provide energy in the same way carbohydrates and fat do, it plays a very important role in energy transformation.

Water is the medium in which all energy reactions take place. Therefore, you need to drink a lot of water for health, stamina, fuel, and building muscle.

On the comment on rest -

Muscle Recovery Factors

I'm not going to begin to tell you how much rest and sleep you need for maximum muscle gains; only you can know that. But here are some signs that you're NOT getting enough!

Over-training is the terms used when a weight trainer stops making gains and might even lose some gains. It occurs when the muscles either don't have enough time to recover, or when the muscles are subjected to too much stress. Both of these events can cause over-training.

Subject your body to too much High Intensity Training (HIT) and you're likely to see negative returns for your bodybuilding investment. Or, don't leave enough time in between sessions for your muscles to not only recover but to grow, and you'll see prior gains wiped out.

In fact, you might be closer to an injury than you might think.

Classical Signs of Over-training
    •Ringing or itching in the ears.
    •Lack of energy. You feel "drained" all the time.
    •Persistent muscle and/or joint soreness.
    •Insomnia or restless sleep
    •Inability to concentrate.
    •Headaches, irritability, and/or depression.
    •Reduced appetite for food and/or training.
    Obviously, if you "just don't feel like working out today," then you've got to ask yourself some probing questions to determine if you're over-training or just lazy.

Lastly, yes these concepts work for both men and women. I have trained several women with very visual 6 packs. The key here is having a very low body fat percentage.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Thanks for clarifying. I was actually wondering this week how I would know if I over train.
  • Bheller234
    Options
    I like the clarification that you have given. I really believe that people don't understand a lot about the idea that they could be working to hard. Most people would believe that if they are tired and sore after there working out and instantly believe that that means they did a proper workout.
    And i completely agree with the water and eating breakfast in the morning being completely important! I always eat breakfast first thing in the morning and always at the least get 8 cups of water in throughout the day. Breakfast always gives me that first little boast in the morning to keep me going all day!
    I will probably refer back to this article a lot for tips and ideas! :)
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I thought the article was pretty good myself. It outlines a few simple strategies which can assist a person in reaching their goals.

Of course if it was stated you MUST eat breakfast or your MUST do HIIT to get a sick pack then I would have a few things to say.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

I have to agree with this one. Three days a week of full-body strength training. Seems to me like you would be breaking down the muscle but not giving it enough time for repair.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I think I was expecting the post to say what kind of activities/exercises to do to get a 6 pack. I felt all the points where quite general and basic...
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Water and sleep are the keys to a solid 6 pack? Guess I have been wasting my time running and doing crunches lol....good intent on the article, terrible delivery.

Well, you've definitely been wasting your time doing crunches at least. All they'll do is push your belly fat farther out.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I think I was expecting the post to say what kind of activities/exercises to do to get a 6 pack. I felt all the points where quite general and basic...

That's the whole point of the article. There is no abdominal or core exercise routine that will magically give you a six pack. The only way is to improve your body composition, which is generally done via the methods the author mentioned. I thought the food choices recomendations were way too specific. However, the parts on packing your lunch, having healthy snacks to prevent cravings, and not eating anything at work other than what you brought with you, are all good advice.