belly fat - my struggle - long winded

Options
5'6 & currently:
~150 lbs
24.3 BMI
34" around belly button
34" bra/rib cage (lol, even though I wear the 36's)
38" hips
22" left inner thigh
Size 10 in Gap black slacks
Not concerned about arm measurements.
Not especially concerned about weight either. I've always been muscular. I've been a size 8 and the same weight in the past, just more tone then and a little less fat all over.

I've been active my whole life- softball grade school through high school, lifted weights in high school and college, worked a standing job in college, into rollerblading, running, step aerobics and other cardio dvds. 2 years ago I messed up my right knee from overuse when running- trying to get faster too quickly. Finally went to physical therapy 6 months ago and I'm trying to get back into exercising and gaining strength. All I did for the last two years was work on my nutrition. I could have started lifting weights again during that time but I used my injury as an excuse to not exercise. Boo.

Unfortunately I used moving across the country as an excuse to let my nutrition slide and stopped doing the physical therapy exercises for the last three months. I also know that I don't get enough sleep, usually 6-7 hours, but I feel better with 8-9 hours.

So here I am. I'm doing pretty darn good already given the last 2 years. But I am concerned about my belly. I've always carried my weight there. Reports say belly fat is the worst place to have it - unhealthy in the long haul. From what I've found online it appears that getting rid of that area requires cutting back on carbs and lowering stress. Neither of which is likely to be a maintainable life-long change for me. Thankfully I'm not carb sensitive and over the last two years I've reduced my carbs in general, moved across the country to get a less stressful job, and started eating (and liking) veggies.

I eat too much sugar though. And I think that habit comes from a combo of following my dad's example - he's super sugar (& carb) man - and a physical response to craving some nutritional effect in conjunction with my borderline bipolar/ depression (both conditions appear to have a genetic predisposition and a nurture imitation of both parents.) My med's don't give me the weight increase side effect.

I'm just really frustrated. I know I am one of the lucky people. At my heaviest I was 165 lbs, size 14 and very upset about it. (That's when I got my first office job.) I know my body shape is capable of being a super sexy physique. I just can't seem to get there. I'm tired of having so much of my life and energy going into maintaining and improving where I'm at. It sucks up so much time and is mentally draining. I end up burnt out after a few months of being 'good' Which means my standard yo-yo'ing is between 145 - 155 lbs and sizes 8, 10 &12.

Are there others like me out there? MFP has so many people who are looking to loose a lot of weight and make major lifestyle changes. But I'm not in that boat. People say your body has a set point, a spot that it likes and naturally gravitates too, but I don't buy it. There's got to be someway for me make those belly rolls smaller and make me just a little bit healthier without making my life an obsession over nutrition and exercising. Some way to make whatever I need to do be my daily habits to maintain a slightly smaller physique. One that lets me fit into size 6 shirts that are perfect for my ribcage and chest without have my belly button push against the fabric so much that you can see its outline. So unsightly.

Any suggestions and support is greatly appreciated.

2011-12-20_1.jpg
2011-12-20_2.jpg
2011-12-20_3.jpg

Replies

• flyingk8
    Options
    You look great! I remember being a size 10 and in the same boat as you, and now, being a size 14/16 after years of lack of exercise and giving birth to two (beautiful) children, I wish that I had appreciated my body a lot more back then. It is tough, because you don't know how good you've got it until you've lost it, and then when you get it back you truly appreciate it! But how do you appreciate it without losing it in the first place? ..That's a question I bet a lot of people, women particularly, would like answered I'm sure!

Whatever you decide to do, stick at eating healthy and chose exercise that you enjoy, because then it doesn't feel like a drag! And you'll feel happier :D
  • rchiecuto
    rchiecuto Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    ahhh i do the yo yo'ing thing too!
    only all my weight is in my thighs ;~;
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    FYI, forgot to mention I'm 30 years old.

@flying: Thanks! Kudos to you and congrats on your kids, I bet they are a wonderful part of your life. I can only imagine how hard it is to fit in the time and have the willpower to stay healthy with a couple of little ones running around :) I hope to have kids some day. Not at that level with my boyfriend yet, so I want to use my kid-free time getting my habits sorted out.

@rchi: I hear ya! People look at me and think I look great, but I'm comparing myself to me and my history. That looking great isn't that great for me, its just average. If I was stronger, more tone and eating better I'd probably get to a size 6 pants and look great for my frame and body structure. When I've been a steady 8 my parents get all concerned. Its annoying. I'm doing it slow and steady with deit and exersice, not doing a hard core restricitive diet and too much exercise. This week I decided to start focusing on eating more protein and increasing my calories to 1500. I think I need it to help recover from exercising and the new muscles I'm getting.

My parents and brother are all obese - like 60-100 lbs obese. They all have the same struggle with yo-yo'ing, just on a larger fluxuation. My parents have been obese since I was very young, but pictures from their college days show them in really good shape. I think growing up in my family is why I've always tried to stay active and eat well. I don't want to get big like them.

I'm in a good spot compared to many people, I heard the average size for a women in the US is 14. If I can be inactive with an okay diet and be a size 12 then I am lucky (and grateful) that I am already under average. The thing is, I don't want to be just under the status quo average in a nation that is known for its high obesity rates. Conceited much? Yeah, for sure. But I beleive it is reasonable for me to aim at getting rid of some of that belly.

I'm 30 years old now and noticed over the last 5 years that my body isn't what it was, that I have to try harder, and at the same time be more gentle with myself. I can't train up to my previous levels of activity as fast, I get sore and stiff and need a solid 36hours to three days to recover after most of my cardio and strength sesions. I do 20mins to 50mins in those sessions on the days I exercise. Though I have done some long bike rides and rollerblading ~2hours, but that's rare - like a couple times a year. Listening to my body means that I only workout 2x or 3x a week so I have enough recovery time inbetween. So much info out there says 4-5x a week for weight loss. I figure it'll just be a slower process for me. I'm moving more than before and that's what really matters. I actually like exercising. I feel good while I'm doing it and afterwards too, not sure that its the runners high effect, but whatever it is I like it. Its frustrating that I need so much recovery time. I want to workout more, but I don't want to get injured and I don't want to feel sore and stiff all the time.

Any suggestions on improving willpower? I'm pretty good at being aware before I eat something. I know I didn't need to eat all those fun size candy bars at work yesterday around 4pm, or the 1.5 Lindt milk chocolate truffles last night at 9:30pm. I stopped myself as I reached for them, thought to myself - No - And then chose to eat them anyway. That's the scenerio that wears on me. I know what to do, I even catch the opportunity to make the choice, but I consistently choose to fulfill that whiney voice inside that crys out "i don't wanna" - picture a little kid having a tantrum. When will I grow up and do what needs to be done?
  • sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar situation as you. I am 5'4", 143lbs with 20.6% BMI
    Sounds healthy but sadly, all my excess weight is in my belly. I have always carried my weight there.
    I mainly do cardio workouts and run so in the new year I am going to focus on lean and strength training and hope that works for me!
  • ladykate7
    Options
    @sharesb Good luck! that's the same tactic I'm going to try.

MFP auto-calculates me to 1200 calories but I know its too low for me. Some of the tracking on here isn't helpful for those of us who are focusing on getting lean. Leanness is better achieved with muscle and muslce weighs more. I'm pretty sure keeping that muslce requires more protein then I've been getting and probably requires more calories overall. I looked really good at 150 when I was in college, but that's because I had a lot more muscle. At 150 now I'm not looking as hot.

Any bodybuilder types out want to weigh in on that?
  • sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    1200 is definitely not enough. I did good on 1200 at first but then hit a plateau for a long period of time. I upped my calories to 1500 a day and after I did, I suddenly started losing weight again. Funny how that happens....lol.

Have you heard of the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" - I recently bought that and plan to follow that program come January along with doing ChaLean Extreme. Hopefully with the two programs I will start to tone up!
  • debrobinson1205
    Options
    WOW, I would love, love, love to be 5'6" and wieght 150 pounds! Hey, I would just love to weight 150 pounds!
  • ladykate7
    Options
    @ debr I don't know your body spec's so I can't say if 150 is attainable for you, but good luck with all your efforts! I'd love to be a size 6, I know my body can be that size and still be healthy. Is it maintainable for me is the next question.

@ shares I haven't heard of either of those. Thx! I'll check them out.