• CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Found a great link!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+lower+cholesterol

:flowerforyou:
  • barbiebarkley
    Options
    hello and im sorry i didnt see your post in the begging!!!!i to was alone here.i had not 1 friend to talk with,share with or anything.know i use everyone on my friends list for this that and it helps me...if you want to add me go ahead!!!!!i swear this site helps keep myself in check!!!!!
  • Its all about the whole grains - wheat bread, multi grain rolls, brown rice, oatmeal, wheat pasta, etc - to help clear out those arteries. & switch to margerine instead of butter. My suggestion would be to Google "Top 10 Foods Highest in Cholesterol" or something like that and steer clear of them!

Also, is it the bad cholesterol or the good cholesterol? I know I was diagnosed with high cholesterol at the very young age of 15, but after getting bloodwork done it turned out it was the good cholesterol so it was okay!
  • spade74
    Options
  • Elfinmajic
    Elfinmajic Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol comes from animal fat basically especially beef, so I'd cut that out immediately, and all/any fatty cuts of meat. High fiber foods & veggies will help a lot. I really enjoy this website, and have found it to be quite beneficial, so good luck with it!!
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Yes. Do yourself a favor and do some research from reputable sites, along with info fro your doc, and not random suggestions from people on an internet forum.
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome....your friend is correct this is a very nice site, I have been here for about 3 weeks now and some of my post don't get answered but that is fine.....

Now on to you.......my Cholesterol is fine, however my husband is out of control......you need to change your diet, but please do it slowly take baby steps it will not change overnight, not saying you have to eat all salads and just vegetables. What I am saying is you need to cut out fried foods, greasey foods and lumncheaon meats.....also watch the Carb intake. Next exercise is also important. They put my husband on Zocor and another type which really isn't doing to much he is still HIGH. He likes his red meats, fried foods and steaks, hoagies, french fries.....fast food places.

The other thing I might suggest for you is taking Fish Oil Supplements, it has Omega 3, I take two a day. I do take medication for my Heart and have blood work drawn every 6 months.....Cholesterol was perfect it is my fasting blood sugars that were high and she will repeat the test....exercise will take care of that also....good luck hope this helps you, friend me is you like.....
  • ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I had high cholesterol and high blood pressure and was on meds for both, but now that I have lost 30 pounds by eating better and exercising, I am now off both meds ! So happy as I thought I would be on them for life.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    my cholesterol SUCKED at the beginning of my journey...and probably sucked at least a few years prior if I had it checked then. Anyway, with better diet and exercise, you can lower your cholesterol. You are welcome to check out my profile where it has the general rules I follow, plus links to my blog where I have some recipes. In the event you don't go through that effort, my general advice on the nutrition would be:

1. aim for lean protein, healthy fats and carbs that have a lower glycemic index value. Why should you aim for those types of carbs you ask? simple, they don't cause a rapid insulin spike. what happens with an insulin spike? 2 things...first, insulin stores food as fat. second, insulin spikes cause cravings for more sugary food.

2. refined/processed sugars are more the enemy than healthy fat. that's important to remember. I don't care what you've heard about Cheerios....fact is that its not as healthy for you as eggs (and I mean eggs with the yolks). Yes, eggs have cholesterol...but its the good cholesterol that your body needs. Eggs also have protein and healthy fat, and they don't cause an insulin spike.

3. along the lines of #2, limit processed foods as much as possible. I'm not a "go organic" guy...but I do believe in eating as much natural food as possible (doesn't matter if its organic or not...just wash it).

4. drink 3-4 liters of water a day.

5. exercise. start slow with something you like. add intensity as you are able. I went from doing no exercise, to doing some cardio, to doing more intense exercise like sprint interval HIIT and boot camps. Intensity is relative to your current ability. Something that was intense for my 6 months ago probably isn't as intense for me any longer.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Its all about the whole grains - wheat bread, multi grain rolls, brown rice, oatmeal, wheat pasta, etc - to help clear out those arteries. & switch to margerine instead of butter. My suggestion would be to Google "Top 10 Foods Highest in Cholesterol" or something like that and steer clear of them!

yes, whole grains are better than white stuff...but I also try to limit whole grains as well.

and I disagree that margerine is better for you than butter. margerine is a foreign substance as far as your body is concerned. obviously, butter should be limited, but in moderation, it is a healthy fat. Roughly 5 days each week, I cook 2 or 3 eggs over medium in regular butter. I've been doing this since I realized the propaganda about eggs and butter being bad for you was hogwash.

and as I indicated in my earlier post, just because something has cholesterol in it does not make it bad for you. Eggs are just one example of a food with cholesterol that is GOOD for you.
  • Naybelline
    Naybelline Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    My triglycerides have always been high, and my cholesterol ratio has always been a bit high. I have moved up and down the scale a few times in the range of 60lbs.. When I am thinner, my numbers on cholesterol, and triglycerides improved dramtically. As a point of interest, they were the best when I was doing the Atkins Diet. Who would have thought? Now I have changed to a realistic, sustainable diet, and the numbers are almost where they should be. I attribute the good reports to diet (tons of fruits, veggies, and limited lean protein), and cardio exercise. As my Doctor has warned, the older you get the more important those numbers become. If it cost you "out of pocket" to get re-checked (and you live in the U.S.) you can go to healthcheckusa.com for low cost (like dirt cheap) testing. Make some positive changes in diet and exercise (and weight), and retest again in six months to make sure you are on the right trajectory. Good Luck, and Welcome.

I live in the UK, so those checks are free. I shall make sure I get checked out again and I've got an appointment with the doctor in the new year shall see what he says too in regards the next check, thanks for your reply.
  • Naybelline
    Options
    hello and im sorry i didnt see your post in the begging!!!!i to was alone here.i had not 1 friend to talk with,share with or anything.know i use everyone on my friends list for this that and it helps me...if you want to add me go ahead!!!!!i swear this site helps keep myself in check!!!!!

Hi :D yes it's helping me so much already!!! I will add you thanks
  • Naybelline
    Options
    Its all about the whole grains - wheat bread, multi grain rolls, brown rice, oatmeal, wheat pasta, etc - to help clear out those arteries. & switch to margerine instead of butter. My suggestion would be to Google "Top 10 Foods Highest in Cholesterol" or something like that and steer clear of them!

Also, is it the bad cholesterol or the good cholesterol? I know I was diagnosed with high cholesterol at the very young age of 15, but after getting bloodwork done it turned out it was the good cholesterol so it was okay!

Unfortunately the bad type. :(
  • Naybelline
    Options

Thank you!
  • Naybelline
    Options
    Hello and welcome....your friend is correct this is a very nice site, I have been here for about 3 weeks now and some of my post don't get answered but that is fine.....

Now on to you.......my Cholesterol is fine, however my husband is out of control......you need to change your diet, but please do it slowly take baby steps it will not change overnight, not saying you have to eat all salads and just vegetables. What I am saying is you need to cut out fried foods, greasey foods and lumncheaon meats.....also watch the Carb intake. Next exercise is also important. They put my husband on Zocor and another type which really isn't doing to much he is still HIGH. He likes his red meats, fried foods and steaks, hoagies, french fries.....fast food places.

The other thing I might suggest for you is taking Fish Oil Supplements, it has Omega 3, I take two a day. I do take medication for my Heart and have blood work drawn every 6 months.....Cholesterol was perfect it is my fasting blood sugars that were high and she will repeat the test....exercise will take care of that also....good luck hope this helps you, friend me is you like.....

Thanks chick, I will friend you! I have totally revamped my eating habits lol... gotta be done hasn't it! I to liked all the fatty foods.
  • Naybelline
    Options
    I had high cholesterol and high blood pressure and was on meds for both, but now that I have lost 30 pounds by eating better and exercising, I am now off both meds ! So happy as I thought I would be on them for life.
    [/quote

Ahhh brill, well done !!
  • Naybelline
    Options
    Yes. Do yourself a favor and do some research from reputable sites, along with info fro your doc, and not random suggestions from people on an internet forum.

I came on here for help from others as I tried looking and didn't know what really to do! had no info from my doctor as I stated earlier in a post. The random suggestions actually from every one here is a great help
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    I came on here for help from others as I tried looking and didn't know what really to do! had no info from my doctor as I stated earlier in a post. The random suggestions actually from every one here is a great help
    Do yourself a favor, though, and do your homework. Lots of misinformation and myths are perpetuated in the forums.

Best wishes. :flowerforyou:
  • Naybelline
    Options
    Do yourself a favor, though, and do your homework. Lots of misinformation and myths are perpetuated in the forums.

Best wishes. :flowerforyou:

I will, thank you :smile:
  • Naybelline
    Options

yes, whole grains are better than white stuff...but I also try to limit whole grains as well.

and I disagree that margerine is better for you than butter. margerine is a foreign substance as far as your body is concerned. obviously, butter should be limited, but in moderation, it is a healthy fat. Roughly 5 days each week, I cook 2 or 3 eggs over medium in regular butter. I've been doing this since I realized the propaganda about eggs and butter being bad for you was hogwash.

and as I indicated in my earlier post, just because something has cholesterol in it does not make it bad for you. Eggs are just one example of a food with cholesterol that is GOOD for you.

I've changed my spread to Benecol.