CONFESSION - my new Guilty Pleasure ~ we've all got one, rig

Options
CONFESSION: I am officially a TERRIBLE christmas shopper - I ended up buying something for myself last night (everyone elses gifts were covered - and marginally under budget - but thats probably not the point)

Its the prettiest handbag ever & it makes me SO happy - but I dont NEED it - I just really wanted it. And now that Im not indulging myself with food; I justified this purchase with "well, you deserve it".
But do I?
Isnt my new body my gift to myself? isnt THAT the reward?

I dont regret my purchase - this purse is just too lovely for regrets ;) (girls will understand) but still - anybody else find they "treat" themselves more to tangible things in lieu of eating?

Replies

• Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a "stuff" person, other than maybe books and music, but I DO treat myself to classes. For example, I've been working out pretty hard lately, so I am treating myself to an advanced dancing workshop. I feel like its good to reward yourself, or just do things that make you feel good sometimes.
  • Bvaughn27
    Bvaughn27 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I set mini goals for myself and plan to reward myself each time I achieve one. I think it's a great idea to reward yourself with something that is not food. Sometimes your overall goal can seem so overwhelming, but when you have little rewards like this is seems encouraging and can help keep you focused along the way. :)
  • slicksps
    Options
    If you kept within your budget why not?

Everyone wants to look GOOD, handbags and accessories are part of that. I'm male I don't do handbags, but I buy clothes which make the most of my decreasing waistline because if I look good, I feel good, and that does more than just watching yourself drift across the BMI chart towards the green.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    You brought a little pretty into your life. This emphasizes the fact that you value yourself. Assuming you could afford it (if you can't you are trading one addiction for another), you are on the road to healthy:smile: Got a picture of the bag?
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Wow I never thought about this before... I was never much of a shopper... I'd always be the only one who would come out of a store with nothing when I went shopping with my friends. I would spend my money on food and sweets and crap more.

Now that I've lost all this weight and food is not really an emotional thing for me anymore, I spend all my money on clothes because I'm happy with my body and it makes me ECSTATIC that I can walk into my favorite store (old navy) and buy medium shirts and size 6 jeans so I don't even think about going to the store and buying a pint of ice cream and candy to eat later. When I was over 200 pounds, I hated shopping bc I hated the way I looked.. now I love the way I look and can't stop shopping haha.

I don't think its bad... I would never spend $$ I don't have.. it's only when I have extra spending $$.. its a good motivator for me to keep losing and maintain my weight forever ! :)
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I just want to see the handbag you bought please :) weblink to it!
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I think that's fine. The new body is a reward but it's the end reward, and when you're not seeing results as fast as you might want to, you'll still want some sort of reward, that's where other stuff comes in. I think it's perfectly fine. I can't say yet if I do it for myself. My strategy has been to pretty much just try to ignore the food and get the exercise out of the way but I don't know that that's been particularly successful.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    How much does your new purse weights?
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Also, I LOVE designer purses, COACH in particular.. so I treat myself to a new bag or something coach every few months..... :) so no judgements here.
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Yes, I treat myself to a monthly full body massage and eyebrow threading now. I guess I never felt like I was worth treating or that my body was worth looking after before but thats all changing now.

Enjoy the purse, you deserve it!
  • becca3211
    becca3211 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Why not?? you deserve it!! :smile:
  • RachelRunner78
    RachelRunner78 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I think everyone rewards themselves in some way. As long as you are not over-extending your budget, I don't see why spending the extra $ on something you want is bad in anyway.

As I am retraining my brain to have a different relationship with food, I too no longer spend the extra $ on food.

Before it was not that big of a deal to spend the extra $ on food because I hated to shop. I hated the way I looked and the way clothes fit (or didn't fit) on me. Now I put the extra money to credit cards to get them paid off. To me, that is a reward.

Soon, when I am to my goal, I hope to have a lot of the credit cards paid off so I can use the extra $ for things I want.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    LMFAO
    Do you keep a repository of these quotes?
  • WarriorMom2012
    WarriorMom2012 Posts: 621 Member
    Options

That's how I tone and shape my arms...I put 10lb weights in matching purses and carry one in each hand everywhere I go!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    So...you don't regret it, but you feel guilty?
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    That's how I tone and shape my arms...I put 10lb weights in matching purses and carry one in each hand everywhere I go!
    I read that more than 3 lbs will make you bulky.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

You should use 3lb weights :tongue:
  • WarriorMom2012
    WarriorMom2012 Posts: 621 Member
    Options

That's why I look like the old man on the "Cenegenics" add next to this
    >
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

i read that women can't bulk unless they take steroids.