Every thing in moderation...right??

Options
I know that there should be nothing off limits...just in moderation. And....my initial thought was that during the week, I would adhere to the stricter part of eating what I should, and maybe be a little more leniant with my self over the weekend, but not go crazy overboard or anything....what are the thoughts on that? Good idea, bad idea, thoughts, comments? Ideas? It is easier for me to stick to a strict eating plan than to just have a little bit of something that is bad for me...but I dont want to totally deprive myself either.

This week, so far, during the week, I have done good with only having ONE glass of wine with dinner, instead of 2 or 3 or 4....lol

What does everyone else do?

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Plan. Set up your macros, be mindful of your calorie limits, and nutritional needs, then eat. Not everything you eat needs to directly contribute to your nutritional needs, you can still eat for enjoyment, just be mindful of your limits.
  • CiciPorcayo
    CiciPorcayo Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    My hubsand and I do that. Strict on the week days and leniant on the weekends but after the first 2 weeks we found it was easier to slip back into our old habits with those two almost break days on the weekend then having been so good all week. I think in general you should try to just eat healthier. Buy only organic, non fat low fat foods, healthy alternatives and don't buy any sweets that way if you actually want something sweet you won't have it on hand at all times u will have to go out to get it..... :) Good Luck!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If that's what works for you then it sounds like a great plan.

I don't think about food and amounts and macros and such as much as a lot of people on this site seem to. Maybe because I've been eating healthily for so long now (20+ years). I just try to eat healthy most of time. If I find I've been spurging too often, I stop. I do keep a mindful eye on how much wine I drink though, especially through the week.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    This is pretty much what I follow for the entire week. Maybe I haven't lost all of my pounds in 6 months, but it is working for me and I haven't once felt deprived. Sure there are things I have given up or rarely eat anymore, but only because I don't desire them anymore because I enjoy the healthier foods I eat more!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Eat foods you like, and make sure you're getting adequate protein and fats. Ideally you are also eating micronutrient dense foods to hit your macros. There's no reason you can't fit in foods you like into your diet
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I still try to stay on track on the weekend, but I don't worry if I go over. This way I'm not getting into bad habits but I still let myself indulge when needed.
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Dulpicate. oops!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals and allow a few calories for indulgences. If I don't use them, then great, I get a deeper calorie deficit. (BTW my goal is set at a 500 cal deficit now instead of the 1000 cal deficit, before people start going apesh*t over my choices.) For holidays, I usually anticipate blowing it completely, but I still log as much as I can to keep myself accountable, and where possible I try to exercise to make up the difference. Unfortunately, though, I don't always feel like moving after a big meal. That is just how I have been handling the holidays. I have only lost 4 lbs all month though which is a bit low for me as I am used to losing as much as 10 lbs in a month. I think, also though, that my weight loss has slowed down the closer I get to being just overweight instead of obese.
  • geri1955
    geri1955 Posts: 106
    Options
    If I want the extra wine or beers on the weekends I get extra exercise in, and sorta keep it under my cal range!!! it works for me..just for example I baked 12 different kinds of cookies for Christmas, I may have 1 or 2 a day for a snack, I dont deprive myself , and i still lost 25 lbs. in 4 months!! That is good for my age!!! im not in a big hurry to lose my last 15 lbs. best wishes to you...:drinker:
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    What is your diet history? For me, I've lost and regained weight countless times. In the past, I've always continued to "treat myself" with lower calorie versions of food I love. The end result was after I reached goal or before, I was back to the awful habits of the higher calorie versions that made me overweight to begin with. This time I am trying to eat really clean. Fruit, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, reduced fat dairy. I am hoping I am breaking the craving cycle. And frankly, I am finding, for example, a container of Greek yogurt can be as satisfying as a scoop of ice cream. I am determined to make this a lifetime change. I'm tired of the up and down. If this is the first time you have dieted, you might be fine treating yourself. For me, I know me well enough to know cannot do that. Each person is very different. I wish I could indulge on weekends but I know if I do, at some point, I will be indulging during the week, then three times a week, then every day....
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    MY diet history is gain it lose it gain it lose it. The same 30 lbs over and over. Once I lose it. I start eating again, just as I did before, and poof..its right back on there. I was here from Feb of this year until June. I lost 20 lbs, and ate really clean, only good things, nothing bad...ever. Then,....I went on vacation, and its been all down hill from there. I think I felt so deprived for so long, that is what has taken me so long to get back to where I am in the right frame of mind to do this again. I love food. I dont want to be deprived. I dont know if I can do it only on the weekends, or if i need to go all or nothing.

I have recently started dating again, and it seems that it is so much centered around food and drink....that is why i thought i may could bend a little during the weekend.

I guess I will just have to play it by ear. this will be the first weekend I have coming up. And of course, its Christmas!! So..I know that is not a good time to start, but I didnt want to wait.