No sunshine = Lack of Motivation?

Options
So I'm having a really, really hard time finding the motivation to work out and eat well this time of year. I’m working at my internship over my college winter break and work from 6am-3:30. By the time I get home, it gets dark about a half an hour later. =( I just want to sleep and never can get myself to go to the gym. I would drive straight to the gym after I leave work, but the only problem is that I commute into DC with my dad, so it's not possible. Any suggestions on how to beat the winter blues? I need to get out of this hibernation mode!!

Replies

• nikki91950
    Options
    i've heard of this before and i kind of have the same problem. i get really tired now when the sun goes down and i don't have energy to do ANYTHING. have you ever heard of those special lamps you can buy that give off specific lighting to mimic the sun? i have NO idea what they're called, but if you try googling something like that, you might get some hits. i know they're not super expensive, and they might be worth a shot. i don't really know what to suggest otherwise!
  • ernieandlaurar
    Options
    Hi,
    I am a teacher and also come home to 3 kids. Energy has been a major issue for me too, especially around 3-4 pm (trying to get my *kitten* to the gym time!) My sister recently recommended "zipfizz" to me and I gotta say- it rocks! It's just a powder, (got it at costco) and add it to my water bottle just before I want to go work out. I asked the trainer at the gym where I work out and she looked it up and thought it was just fine to take. Anyway, that's the one thing I have found that works. Good luck Laura
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think you just have to make yourself. I get off work about 4, run some errands, get home around 5:30 or 6, eat and watch a 40 minute episode of TV. Once it's done, I get dressed and go to the gym. I feel great afterwards. I think when you don't want to go, or you're tired, you just have to keep telling yourself the reasons you want to go, and the benefits you'll get FROM going, i.e.; if you're tired, you will definitely feel more energized afterwards, and then you'll sleep GREAT once you get into bed... if you don't want to go, well, if you go, you'll feel accomplished and proud that you went and overcame your desire to NOT go, and just stay in bed. Plus... if you go to bed that early, you'll be waking up super early, and you probably won't have great restful sleep anyway.
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I see what you mean, let me give some good advice

JUST GO!! :wink:
  • REBEE17
    REBEE17 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It's called Seasonal Affective Disorder. (S.A.D. <go figure>)

I have it. I just want to cry and sleep lately. (mine is worse this year than it has been in a while)

They make sunlamps to help get extra UV rays in the months of shorter days.
    If you have any questions, message me. I may be able to help.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat a lot of food high in vitamin D you might consider a supplement. Without sunshine many people are deficient in Vit D and it can have a powerful effect on your mood.
  • Spearo
    Spearo Posts: 47
    Options
    10,000 IU of Vit D/day during the Winter and hit a tanning booth every week or so for 5-10 minutes. Works wonders.
    Good luck and happy training!
    E.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I feel you... I leave for work whenits dark, i leave work when it's dark. I don't feel like doing ANYTHING. :( I'm forcing myself to though
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    So I'm having a really, really hard time finding the motivation to work out and eat well this time of year. I’m working at my internship over my college winter break and work from 6am-3:30. By the time I get home, it gets dark about a half an hour later. =( I just want to sleep and never can get myself to go to the gym. I would drive straight to the gym after I leave work, but the only problem is that I commute into DC with my dad, so it's not possible. Any suggestions on how to beat the winter blues? I need to get out of this hibernation mode!!

can you take the metro home to a local station and have him pick you up?
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    10,000 IU of Vit D/day during the Winter and hit a tanning booth every week or so for 5-10 minutes. Works wonders.
    E.

Would this really help? (sorry not trying to hijack thread) I have eczema and k.p. And 5-10 minutes a week tanning, + vitamin d is supposed to help. I just don't want cancer! Lol. If this actually makes you feel better too then that's awesome.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

Would this really help? (sorry not trying to hijack thread) I have eczema and k.p. And 5-10 minutes a week tanning, + vitamin d is supposed to help. I just don't want cancer! Lol. If this actually makes you feel better too then that's awesome.

5-10 mins a WEEK won't give you skin cancer. Wear clothing in the booth (tank top and boy shorts), so as not to expose more sensitive skin. There's been plenty of cases reportedly lately of people getting skin cancer on the back of their heels, etc because they don't apply sunscreen there.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    I wonder though would this really have an effect on mood?

5-10 mins a WEEK won't give you skin cancer. Wear clothing in the booth (tank top and boy shorts), so as not to expose more sensitive skin. There's been plenty of cases reportedly lately of people getting skin cancer on the back of their heels, etc because they don't apply sunscreen there.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    I wonder though would this really have an effect on mood?

The guideline is 20 mins of casual sun exposure per day. That means walking in the sun fully clothed on a sunny day. Does once per week really help? I'm not sure...but I know you wont get CANCER if you use the booth the way I suggested
  • jackswife1207
    jackswife1207 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am feeling the same way. I never am too motivated but since the time change, I have NONE! I am like you and just want to go to bed after dinner. I struggle with some depression anyway and have been super stressed about work and fighting with my son's school. So that has also taken it's toll. I already take Calcium plus Vitamin D and have been wondering lately if a mild tanning schedule would help. I tell myself to just get up and do it and make plans to but then something comes up and I never get to it.

I have the next 2 weeks off for Christmas break (starting in half an hour!). I'm hoping to get some more exercise in. I think once I see how much better I feel, I may have more motivation. I would be happy to be a motivation partner if you would like. Maybe you can keep me in check also.
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yes to the vitamin D. No to the tanning. I used to tan for seasonal affectiveness disorder, but I feel it's not as beneficial. I'm not knocking anyone who tans, that's a personal decision, but I think for this issue vitamin D is more important.

Take at least 2,000 IU daily - most people are really deficient anyway!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear-mark-sun-beds-skipping-breakfast-cooking-with-essential-oils-and-glycerol/#axzz1hBhKeMmA

:)
  • deegarcia19
    Options
    If there's a will, there's a way! :]
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean...rain and darkness make me want to SLEEP! I remember how good I feel after each workout, as well as how I can eat more, and it makes me go!
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It's called Seasonal Affective Disorder. (S.A.D. <go figure>)

I have it. I just want to cry and sleep lately. (mine is worse this year than it has been in a while)

They make sunlamps to help get extra UV rays in the months of shorter days.
    If you have any questions, message me. I may be able to help.

I was just about to say S.A.D. lol. If you have a doctor then speak to them about what you can. Although there are natural remedies like vitamins, etc. good luck. Im used to being this way. I am constantly lethargic, always have been even when I was young. Even though I have had my thyroid tested that doesn't seem to be the issue. I just try to find natural supplements to help give me a little boost here and there. Dropped the energy drinks since they are so bad for you!
  • fae713
    fae713 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    E.

Vitamin D is a great idea, however I would suggest avoiding the tanning booth if you can get a sunlamp and use that instead. I purchased one on Amazon for something like $35 and have seen a dramatic change in my mood and energy. I have it on at my office every morning, probably for longer than is suggested several hours rather than 45-90 minutes, but it has seemed to work pretty darn well. I'm still exhausted by the time 10-11pm hits, but that is also about the time I should be going to sleep anyway since I wake up around 630-7am. I just have this weird issue where I want to stay up longer out of habit and to spend time with my fiance. The 5-10 minutes on a tanning booth daily would have a similar effect, but that gets expensive very quickly and the 5-10 minutes a week just isn't enough for many people who have a tendency towards Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Also, sunlamps work differently from the tanning booth. For one thing, they do not emit the UVA/B rays that are most detrimental to our skin and eyes, but only a very specific wavelength that is actually associated with what we perceive as light. What it does is have the same effect as being out every day in the sun by activating certain light receptors in the eyes that help to reset our biological clocks to know when it is morning and that alone can help with energy, feeling tired, unmotivated, restless sleep and a number of other symptoms associated with SAD and/or depression. It's not going to be an immediate effect, it takes several days to weeks for you to really start to notice any changes, but it does happen.

There's also the catch 22 of exercise being the best motivator for kicking yourself out the door to exercise, but you need to force yourself into the habit first in order to start wanting to go. A few people have already made the suggestion that takes the most work, which is literally forcing yourself out the door and going to the gym. If your gym offers classes, sign up or schedule yourself to go to some so that you have a reason to go besides just hitting the weights/treadmill. It also helps to change up your workout routine in general so that you have something to look forward to AND still manage to get into the habit of heading out the door.

Another solution is not to wait to go out to the gym, but to do things at home. Do pushups and situps during commercials, or maybe before dinner/bed. If that's too much, start with just stretching and seeing if just moving will get you going. Set rewards for yourself if you do so many reps or do something for so many minutes. Ask someone to help hold you accountable. There is the distinct possibility that after a week or two of doing that, you'll get bored or restless just doing things at home and will have greater motivation to go out and work at the gym.

Sorry for the long response. Good luck!
  • mwilbur27
    Options
    I know its already been said here but I treat myself to tanning at the gym after Ive had a really good workout. Takes away some of the winter blues.