Inventive fitness for the frugal

Options
I have a set of three pound dumbbells that I got for my last brithday, and they work for things like lateral raises and triceps, but I really needed something heavier to challenge me with moves such as bicep curls or overhead raises. I really didn't want to spend the money on more weights just yet though (I've already splurged too much). SO I brainstormed, trying to figure out how I could make my own dumbbells in a way that would be safe and easy to use.

I ended up taking two empty crystal light canisters (well, the Walmart brand of it, dunno if there is a difference in size) and filled them with rolls of pennies (which we have plenty of, since my husband is a bit obsessed with old currency). I ended up getting matching weights of a little more than six pounds each (I was able to fit 16 rolls of 50 pennies) and they are comfortable to hold.

Has anyone else come up with thrifty ways to use things you already have?

Replies

• Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    I have a set of three pound dumbbells that I got for my last brithday, and they work for things like lateral raises and triceps, but I really needed something heavier to challenge me with moves such as bicep curls or overhead raises. I really didn't want to spend the money on more weights just yet though (I've already splurged too much). SO I brainstormed, trying to figure out how I could make my own dumbbells in a way that would be safe and easy to use.

I ended up taking two empty crystal light canisters (well, the Walmart brand of it, dunno if there is a difference in size) and filled them with rolls of pennies (which we have plenty of, since my husband is a bit obsessed with old currency). I ended up getting matching weights of a little more than six pounds each (I was able to fit 16 rolls of 50 pennies) and they are comfortable to hold.

Has anyone else come up with thrifty ways to use things you already have?
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    That's pretty cool!! I haven't thought of any ways to be frugal. I did want to make one suggestion, not sure what area you live in but there's a website called www.freecycle.org, you can post an ad in there offering to give something away or a wanted ad and say you're looking for exercise equipment etc.. All items must be free and many people "recycle" items throughout their community.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    You can make a barbell out of a broomstick with a milk jug filled with (coins, sand, water, etc) on each end. You'll have to find a way to secure the jugs on both sides so they don't slide.
  • jlhcrh3
    jlhcrh3 Posts: 314
    Options
    my feet, and the nearby nature park with trails!! lol. but seriously, it's always been there, and i've never taken advantage of it..until now!!
  • chelseachick
    chelseachick Posts: 104
    Options
    you can also use elastic bands instead of weights - its cheaper and you can tie them to the door; railing etc to create the resistance you need. you cans sit on a ball and work your core at the same time. another good exercise is to use a chair or bench and work your triceps and bieceps by supporting your upper body with your bent arms behind you and then raising and lowering yourself.

good luck with the home made options!
  • tig3rang3l
    tig3rang3l Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    For hand weights I have used water bottles as well as soup cans :laugh: Anything will do in a pinch
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    For resistance doing crunches and raising my legs, I use my 25 pound daughter. :laugh: She really likes to play airplane and I get a really good workout! Oh, and she really likes me to lift her with my arms so I do that as much as possible, too! Not sure how much longer I can use her, though! She takes after her Daddy and is a BIG girl!

I like your Crystal Light/Penny roll idea, though! Never would have thought of that!
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    Someone also mentioned you can rent workout videos from your local library
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I suppose a semi-cheap option would be to buy a 5lb bag of sugar. Maybe tape it up to make sure you don't accidentally spring a leak. :laugh: