water question

Options
Does drinking 8 glasses of water per day really help you lose weight - - if so how?

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    It helps me by making me feel full. I like to chug a 24-oz tumbler about 10-15 minutes before each meal. That oh-my-god-I'm-so-full-I'm-gonna-bust feeling keeps me from feeding my face.

It also helps you "keep things moving" so your own waste doesn't add to your weight!

It's also just plain good for you--whether you're trying to lose weight or not.
  • PirateGary
    Options
    No studies to date suggest that's the case and in fact the whole 8x8 consumption belief has been challenged by skeptics quite a bit recently. This link is a good summary article and also touches on your question:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=eight-glasses-water-per-day

Hope this helps.
  • alofay
    alofay Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I swear by large amounts of water to lose weight! I lost 50 lbs in 5 weeks drinking 2-3 gallons of water a day! I was never hungry!
  • ilovemyhorse
    Options
    I swear by large amounts of water to lose weight! I lost 50 lbs in 5 weeks drinking 2-3 gallons of water a day! I was never hungry!

50 pounds in 5 weeks?
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I don't know all the science behind it, but it helps flush out your system. I drink at least a gallon a day, or 16 cups. I have also heard drink 1/2 ur weight in ounces is a good number to shoot for. I drink a lot more than that, but I exercise a lot and it is important to keep hydrated to prevent cramping. So if you weight 200 lbs drink 100 oz or 12.5 cups.
  • stittles
    Options
    It just helps speed up the process. If you were to just drink water, and change nothing else about yourself - you won't lose weight. But, when you are making a change, drinking water helps.

The benefits water has is endless, just like walking. It keeps you hydrated. It can also flush out your system if you drink enough (which could be one of the big reasons drinking water increases the speed in which you lose weight). Also, sometimes if you are dehydrated your body can mistake hunger for thirst, which can lead to unnecessary eating/overeating. So it's best to avoid that situation. Overall, drinking the necessary amount of water can only help you on your journey. I recommend that if you are serious about your weight loss, you focus on drinking water more than any other liquid.
  • sweetcheeks27
    sweetcheeks27 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Since I have upped my water intake I have noticed that weight has been dropping faster. Plus I'm burning extra calories by having to get up and go to the bathroom all the time ;)