Running Outside when it's cold.

Options
So I am trying to not be such a treadmill snob, I love going to the gym and running on the treadmill but I am also trying to get in outdoor mileage for when I do organized runs. Today it was 33 degrees only ran 1.5 miles and I find it hard to catch my breath when it's that cold. Any advice?

Replies

• momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I would use something to cover my nose and mouth if it was that cold... but... I can run SSOOOO much farther outside than I can on the treadmill.
    I can run over 5 miles in the same amount of time I can run 3 miles on the treadmill. Hate hate hate the treadmill!!!!

Can't wait for the weekends to get out and run the road!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Just dress for the weather. Where running pants, a running jacket, gloves, and something to keep your ears warm (like a hat).
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I find it so hard to be on the treadmill....but yet I also hate the cold. This year, however, I got some items that have helped tremendously! And now I make it a game (how fast can I finish this run? or... how many houses with Christmas lights can I find?) to keep me from thinking about the cold. I usually run outside if it's at least 20 degrees or warmer.

Running tights (the trick is to let the bottoms of the tights stay half way wrapped around the bottom of your foot---and put your sock on underneath. This prevents cold air getting to your skin.)
    Long sleeve wicking cold gear shirt
    One of those facemask type things...it has a cord to tighten it, if you want it to cover more of your face...or you can loosen it. (Mine is a Tek Gear one from Kohl's-- men's section)
    Gloves
    Zip up hoodie (I wear this over my long sleeve cold gear shirt)
    Sweat pants (sometimes I'll wear these over my running tights)

Hope that helps! Also, try running in areas where there are a lot of buildings or trees to prevent cold wind!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    We don't really cold here (So Cal) - high 30s is normally our coldest.

That said, it is a fine line to not overdress. You need to dress for the "middle of the run" as you will warm up when you crack a sweat 15 or 20 minutes in.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    There are several previous threads regarding this matter. Main thing is not to over dress. kicklikeagirl wrote about tights....Sportshill are the best. Very seldom do I buy brand names or unreasonable price clothes, but Sportshill is worth it and makes a difference.
  • italianissima
    italianissima Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    All of this advice is great! I learned a lot, too.
    I'd like to suggest something: try to go out at the warmest part of your cold day! I find that if I go out with the sun on me, I feel way better!! (Even though it might be more of a psychological thing!) But, I think it makes sense- just check the weather and go out accordingly!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Sugoi makes great running tights too. Dry and warm all winter long. Don't get hypothermia like this one dumb@ss I know, who I won't name...
  • jernigan51
    Options
    I love running outside! And I love it more in the colder weather! I agree with previous posts, use something to cover your mouth/nose, it will help with breathing. Cold wind can knock the breath right out of you with a quickness! Also, don't layer too much, remember, you'll warm up quick once you start moving! I usually run in sweat pants, a t-shirt and a light sweatshirt when it's in the 40's...and I've gotten warm in that much!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    Also, I like to layer up and go some place where I can do laps that are roughly a mile. Then I can peel off layers without really worrying if someone is gonna walk away with them. Several parks have loops like that, so it's not as boring as laps around the track. Although...I love track and that bouncy red stuff is so easy to run on
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    I usually run in sweat pants, a t-shirt and a light sweatshirt when it's in the 40's...and I've gotten warm in that much!

Just remember that if you're going to be out there for an extended time, you need moisture wicking / tight fitting cold weather gear. Anything else will freeze you out. It *cough cough* happened to someone I know who ran 18 miles in 30 degree weather while wearing cotton
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Run through it? It's hard for the first mile or so when it's cold out, but after a couple of miles you warm up. I did a run in -5C a couple of weeks ago and it was freezing to start with but by about 4 miles in I was sweating. Just watch for icy puddles.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Cotton is the devil's fabric when it comes to running.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    All of this advice is great! I learned a lot, too.
    I'd like to suggest something: try to go out at the warmest part of your cold day! I find that if I go out with the sun on me, I feel way better!! (Even though it might be more of a psychological thing!) But, I think it makes sense- just check the weather and go out accordingly!
    Ha! I have to start my runs between 3:45 am and 4:30 am. No sun at that time.
  • feisma
    feisma Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    bump....need this info....
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Keep doing it, it will get easier and you will enjoy it much more.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Thankfully in NorCal freezing temps are a rarity but I cannot run outdoors if the temps are below 30 - but it's mostly I think because it's not common here.

Because I don't have access to TM I rely on running outdoors. Today it was maybe 34-degrees - and I have to run at 5am or it won't happen. Like others mentioned it's hardest the first mile... then you warm up and you get your breathing under control.

Perhaps you are going too fast? Try to slow down.

I can't wear anything on my head or hands while running without overheating, but others have really good success. I'm currently working on my running gear (it's on my xmas list and a coworker just gave me a really cool running shirt!).
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I have been running at -25C and in a blizzard a couple of times. wear a neck gaiter that you can pull up over your face when the air is too cold. Wear layers - synthetic fibers, thermals, long sleeved running shirt, fleece layer, windproof shell. Wear a hat, gloves, scarf or neck gaiter or face mask.

Pam
  • 1FitMom326
    Options
    Cotton is the devil's fabric when it comes to running.

I agree, I am from Portland home of Nike. The clothing is never an issue here, I have running pants, tights, dryfit hoodies (NO Cotton) But now I am very curious about who got hypothermia!

It is the cold wind in my face that I find most difficult to get use to. I guess I just have to suck it up and get outdoors more often.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

I agree, I am from Portland home of Nike. The clothing is never an issue here, I have running pants, tights, dryfit hoodies (NO Cotton) But now I am very curious about who got hypothermia!

It is the cold wind in my face that I find most difficult to get use to. I guess I just have to suck it up and get outdoors more often.

I had to buy some dorky "sporty" sunglasses to keep wind out of my eyes. A neck gaiter works well for the face, without being overkill
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Layers and a hat for me - but I find 33 or so a tricky temperature - last time I overdressed and overheated.

I like the running layer jackets they make with the hand loop warmers. I need them at 1st but at the end I'm glad to push them up.

I also avoid cotton.

Good luck!