Moving across the country!!!

Options
flcaoh
flcaoh Posts: 444
So, I have decided to sell everything I own and move from Ohio to California to live with friends and go to grad school. I currently live by myself in a one bedroom apartment and am going to literally sell everything I own and take bare necessities, a few bags of clothes, sentimental items like photos and the such, my car, and my happy little butt to Cali in 4 months (at least this is the plan lol).

Has anyone here ever attempted such a feat as selling everything you own and picking up to start anew? Anyone ever driven cross country? (the longest stretch I have ever driven is 5 hours - so this will be reeeeeeeeeeally new for me - I will have a friend with me that will fly back to Ohio after our road trip). Any suggestions, tips, hints, advice? Anything is greatly appreciated!!! :happy:

Replies

• flcaoh
    Options
    So, I have decided to sell everything I own and move from Ohio to California to live with friends and go to grad school. I currently live by myself in a one bedroom apartment and am going to literally sell everything I own and take bare necessities, a few bags of clothes, sentimental items like photos and the such, my car, and my happy little butt to Cali in 4 months (at least this is the plan lol).

Has anyone here ever attempted such a feat as selling everything you own and picking up to start anew? Anyone ever driven cross country? (the longest stretch I have ever driven is 5 hours - so this will be reeeeeeeeeeally new for me - I will have a friend with me that will fly back to Ohio after our road trip). Any suggestions, tips, hints, advice? Anything is greatly appreciated!!! :happy:
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Hi, I moved from Ohio to Texas almost 2 years ago. We sold our house and most possesions and bought an RV. We are currently in Odessa, Tx . I imagine within a year or so we'll settle someplace new. It is a bit scary to leave everything you know. You will LOVE California ! It's great that you will have a friend on trip with you. It's also great that you have friends in California. I moved to Texas without knowing a soul. Make sure to mapquest driving directions and attractions such as hotels, restraunts , if you don't have a gps. Make sure your car is up for the trip, maybe a tune up or new tires. This is a great adventure for you! Good luck. Cindy :heart:
  • flcaoh
    Options
    Awww, thanks! I lived in California for almost 3 years when I was in the Army (that was 4 years ago) and have been dreaming of returning ever since. I do have a gps, but will mapquesting and planning out the trip. My friend and I plan on making it there in 3 days. So we'll be driving about 12 hours a day. I hope I can keep my diet somewhat sane during that time lol.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is a big trip, the furthest I have ever been is New York, which is 800 something miles from South Carolina, I am from S.C. and my hubby is from NY. We just went to visit some of his family that still loves there. I couldn't imagine living any where else but right here in S.C. Good luck with your trip. :flowerforyou:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    One of my daughters moved from Wisconsin to Florida. She packed as much of her stuff into her BF's durango as she could fit.
    She went through her stuff and got rid of some. She lived with us or in the dorm at school before that so she did not have anything to sell.
    That was at the end of December. We are going down this week and will bring alittle more.
    She is so enjoying the adventure of living some place different and making her own life.
    I hope you will have a nice trip out and much happiness as you start this new time in your life!
  • alapointe
    alapointe Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Make sure your car is checked out and do an oil change before you go. My brother in law moved from Boston to California and his car died in Arizona because he pushed it too far too fast. Just take it easy and make sure you get the car checked out.

Good Luck, that sounds like an awesome adventure.
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Well, let me say, I have moved and then some. Army wife, hubby in for a long time. I have done your drive twice pretty much. Once actually from California to Kentucky, then Kentucky to Texas, Texas to Washington State, Washington to Kentucky again, then Kentucky to Kansas...which was the shortest drive,,14 hours or so. And it never fails the house you are going to is either half the size of the one you were just in, or there is 2 bedrooms vs 4, or no fence for the dogs at this house..Believe me, you need little more than self determination to make it work, material stuff ususally gets in the way! Craigslist is a great place to sell stuff, I have sold furniture, baby stuff, workout equipment...you name it on Craigslist. Helps to have the extra cash for when you get where you are going for the stuff you will need that you didn't plan for or know you would need. For the drive, you have the most important thing, company! A drive like that is murder alone. Some drinks, snacks, music and a few magazines to flip through for the non driver and you should be good. You may want to plan on taking stuff for breakfast and lunch in the car, the only places that are quick and easy off the freeway are usually fast food or diner type places, stop for dinner when you stop for the day. Good luck and say hello to my hometown state for me when you get there!
  • flcaoh
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the awesome suggestions! We had originally planned on taking 3 days to drive there but after some thought have decided to increase it to 4 days. I am definitely on a budget for this trip and the LAST thing I want is for my car to die somewhere between Ohio and Cali. Especially because my travel buddy will have a return flight to Ohio scheduled a few days after we are supposed to arrive in Cali. Any suggestions on earning or saving extra money for my trip? I probably won't have a job when I arrive in Cali, but I'll still have a car payment, insurance payment, cell phone payment, etc, etc so I plan on saving up a few months of income to be safe.

I also think this will help my weight loss efforts as I am cutting out all unnecessary costs and will be eating the bare minimum amount of food. That means absolutely no fast food, take out, etc. Unfortunately, I do have to cancel my gym membership but I have workout DVD's.

I will also probably be selling my Wii here in a few months. So, if anyone is interested let me know. I will be listing it on ebay most likely so that the transaction is safe. I have invested well over $600 for my Wii and it is only 4 months old. I have several games, 2 sets of controllers, a Wii balance board. The price is negotiable but as of now I am thinking probably $300ish for everything.

I'm going to make as many sacrifices as I possibly can to save as much as possible to make this work. I'm super excited but also super motivated. Sorry for the crazy long post and once again, thanks for all the suggestions!
  • jlhcrh3
    jlhcrh3 Posts: 314
    Options
    as far as your diet--take a cooler! not only will this likely save you money, but you can also stay on track with your eating, because you'll have the healthy stuff right there with you! No fast food stops! Also, you can mapquest grocery stores in areas that won't be far off the interstate, so you can stop and get some more of the healthy stuff!
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    Sounds very exciting, good luck on your trip!! Follow your dreams now while your young, time slips by quickly. Enjoy sunny Cal, which part are you landing in??
  • flcaoh
    Options
    Sounds very exciting, good luck on your trip!! Follow your dreams now while your young, time slips by quickly. Enjoy sunny Cal, which part are you landing in??

Monterey! Only one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen in my entire (albeit short lol) life.
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    That is beautiful there, we were there last year on vacation. Spent a few days in paso robles. wish we could move there, but too old and too many kids here!! :laugh: