How to work out how many calories if the food isn't listed..

Options
Hi All,

I am curious to know if there is something that I eat that isn't recorded/registered on the food list - how do I work out how many calories are in it? Is there a way?
Many thanks
:tongue:

Replies

• kymdarnell
    Options
    anyone???
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    what did you eat? The database is pretty extensive, if you can't find an exact match, just approximate.
  • samatalma
    Options
    Look at the nutrition label on the package...Google it...etc.

Edit: and then add it the "Quick Calorie" method.
  • Want2weigh165
    Options
    find something similar to it if you can't seem to find the exact one then burn just a little bit more calires to be on the safe side
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Give an example. If it's a prepared food, you could go to the trouble of creating a recipe in that section of your database. Or you could just estimate and log it with the little tool thingy as quick calories.
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Guess. Whether it is an informed guess with some research or a wild guess with some made-up number via "Quick Add", you'll have to anyway.

Food logging isn't an exact science. I eat out at so many local places that don't list their nutrition data anywhere, I'd drive myself insane if I had to find accurate numbers. You'll overestimate one day and underestimate another. The idea is just to track your trends and let it all balance out over the long term.
  • TheNaturalNanny
    TheNaturalNanny Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If your like me and you eat alot of homemade stuff, just add the recipe and it will calculate it all for you. If its premade just look at the package and add it or search on the internet and add it.
  • kymdarnell
    Options
    thanks so much guys - awesome replies - because I live in New Zealand there are alot of packaged foods that are not on MFP - didn't realise there was that recipe bit on here. :flowerforyou:
  • pixiesx3
    pixiesx3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I google and check it out that way. There are some sites that are fairly reliable. Estimating calories compared to something similar is a good thing.

BUT many people are about 20% off when estimating their portion sizes! SO, in that department I suggest measuring & weighing! ;)
  • pixiesx3
    pixiesx3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    And you can do Quick Add or add the food from the package labels.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    No you don't want to create it as a recipe. Create a new food.
  • Yoopermom13
    Options
    Buy a calorie counter book in your country, it probably has a restaurant section.
  • sh0ck
    sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    1) Find something similar that is already in the database (food tracking does NOT have to be a perfect science as someone said above)

or

2) Guess what you think is in it and add those ingredients separately (for example, if I get a turkey and cheese sandwich from 7-11 and it isn't in the database then I will add in 2 slices of white bread, 1 serving of turkey, 1-2 slices of american cheese). Once again, not an exact science
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    The cool thing is, you canhelp enlarge the database by adding new foods when you discover ones that aren't yet in there.

Just click on the thing that says 'didn't find what you were looking for?' and you can enter all the stats. Your fellow countrymen will appreciate it!
  • Yoopermom13
    Options
    Try Calorie King.com it has foods from every U.S. restaurant listed, but it may be different and have your brands for your country.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Try calorieking.com for a wide range of foods
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    And there's a NZ group
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Also, if you have MFP on your smartphone, there's an icon next to the search for a food bar that will allow you to scan the bar code on a packaged item and add it from the code.