I think I have a problem...

Options
So here's the thing. I had a great start of the day - I did 90 minutes of cardio and burned 840 kcat this morning. Made me feel amazing! Then I had a nice breakfast... and then 11 am hit... It is 4 pm right now and I ate about 4 cookies and 5 chocolates totalling 800 kcal...
Nobody normal eats that much chocolate/cookies in 5 hours... :( at least my net is 1100 (1900 I ate, 800 burned) but still... makes me feel like I'm vulnerable to food. Anyone else struggle with stupid stuff like this? I ate these at work, because there are cookie platters in the break room and about 5 boxes of chocolates placed conveniently everywhere around the office....

Replies

• music_lover_103
    Options
    I do the exact same thing. I start out great, then eat eat eat. I do great for a week or so, say i'll never go back, then eat so much i gain all my weight back. it's awful.
  • anitam1987
    anitam1987 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I do the exact same thing. I start out great, then eat eat eat. I do great for a week or so, say i'll never go back, then eat so much i gain all my weight back. it's awful.

what do we do? :( I have recently been doing very well and lost some weight but the last 2 weeks have been awful. mostly the stuff people bring in at work
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Almost everyone "normal" eats that much chocolate/cookes in 5 hours at this time of year.

Everyone is baking for the holidays and they are taking excess (or even planned) trays of cookies and candies and fudge and cheesecake to work and just dropping it off and then they send an email that says "have at it!" and everyone does.

Believe me, I'm in a small locked-down office within a larger office and the 12 people in my section have been eating TONS of cookies and cakes and candies in the past week or so.

Give yourself a break.... sugar is hard to resist once you've broken the seal... and we all break the seal (I know I have)

You worked out hard and you ate food you liked and enjoyed it. Do not make it a GUILT party now. Just know that tomorrow you will need to continue working out and try to resist eating 5 chocolates tomorrow.

I ate 4 Russian Tea Cakes (little tiny cookies) before I realized they had 102 calories EACH!
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Whenever someone offers me unhealthy food, or when I see it, I automatically turn around and walk the other way or say "no thank you" as soon as they're done with their question. I once turned down cheesy potatoes! I was so proud of myself :)
  • lovinbutterflys
    lovinbutterflys Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hi. You are not the only one with this problem at all! I will fight someone at a party for some cheese queso and tortilla chips! LOL and smh....I don't know if this can work for you but it works for me. But I pray. I have to ask God to give me the strengh to stay on track and eat healthy choices. I know your office is littered with unhealhty stuff but how about you bring a fruit tray to work? Or see if you can talk to someone on your job about adding more healthier options around the office. I agree you doo need to try to control yourself but it is hard when it is looking you in your face everyday. But I bet you will feel so much better everytime you fight the urge to grab one of those sugar loaded cookies. I read this book called Made to Crave by Lisa Terkeurst. If you take nothing else from this post it says that "Everything is permissible but not beneficial". Which mean you can have those cookies but are they going to benefit you by eating them. You did a great job by working out and burning major calories by I have heard a saying your "body is made in the kitchen". You can workout until you turn blue but it doesn't matter if you go and eat bad food. Just think twice before you pop that cookie in your mouth and you will feel better and stronger each time you put it down. Or better yet not pick it up at all!! You can add me as a friend and we can keep each other going.
  • anitam1987
    Options
    Almost everyone "normal" eats that much chocolate/cookes in 5 hours at this time of year.

Everyone is baking for the holidays and they are taking excess (or even planned) trays of cookies and candies and fudge and cheesecake to work and just dropping it off and then they send an email that says "have at it!" and everyone does.

Believe me, I'm in a small locked-down office within a larger office and the 12 people in my section have been eating TONS of cookies and cakes and candies in the past week or so.

Give yourself a break.... sugar is hard to resist once you've broken the seal... and we all break the seal (I know I have)

You worked out hard and you ate food you liked and enjoyed it. Do not make it a GUILT party now. Just know that tomorrow you will need to continue working out and try to resist eating 5 chocolates tomorrow.

I ate 4 Russian Tea Cakes (little tiny cookies) before I realized they had 102 calories EACH!

Thanks for the encouragment, that makes me feel better. You're right :) It is that time of year, and it will not dictate everything I do in the future. :)
  • mrshmiller9
    Options
    There is an entire box of cheesecake factory cheesecake in my fridge I'm trying to ignore. One piece is 1200 cals. But I think I could take you on eating more than 5 cookies lol
    Don't deprive yourself- have a cookie- just not a bunch and don't let it push you off track!
    :-)
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    I am exactly like that. We always have chocolate at work so what I have been doing is allowing myself to have a small piece. It keeps me from chowing down on 10 pieces once a week or so. My main need is to learn self control. You are "normal"
  • anitam1987
    Options
    Hi. You are not the only one with this problem at all! I will fight someone at a party for some cheese queso and tortilla chips! LOL and smh....I don't know if this can work for you but it works for me. But I pray. I have to ask God to give me the strengh to stay on track and eat healthy choices. I know your office is littered with unhealhty stuff but how about you bring a fruit tray to work? Or see if you can talk to someone on your job about adding more healthier options around the office. I agree you doo need to try to control yourself but it is hard when it is looking you in your face everyday. But I bet you will feel so bad better everytime youfight the urge to grab one of those sugar loaded cookies. I read this book called Made to Crave by Lisa Terkeurst. If you take nothing else from this post it says that "Everything is permissible but not beneficial". Which mean you can have those cookies but are they going to benefit you by eating them. You did a great job by working out and burning major calories by I have heard a saying your "body is made in the kitchen". You can workout until you turn blue but it doesn't matter if you go and eat bad food. Just think twice before you pop that cookie in your mouth and you will feel better and stronger each time you put it down. Or better yet not pick it up at all!! You can add me as a friend and we can keep each other going.

That is true too, I gotta think a little more before I grab it. I tend to not think, grab ad instantly eat :P I will add you!
  • mommajdawg
    mommajdawg Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    That is typical for this time of the year! I Cookies are everywhere ! :smile:
  • keldawm
    keldawm Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It's the time of year. I have such a hard time with sweet stuff. I usually bake cookies and cakes and all kinds of sweet stuff this time of year. This year I decided I was not going to. If it is in my house I will eat it! I made snickerdoodles for teacher gifts and school parties but that has been it. I just try not to have it around.
  • anitam1987
    Options
    I am exactly like that. We always have chocolate at work so what I have been doing is allowing myself to have a small piece. It keeps me from chowing down on 10 pieces once a week or so. My main need is to learn self control. You are "normal"

you guys make me feel instantly better and not beat myself up. thanks everyone <3:)
  • kymdarnell
    Options
    wow - awesome cal burn - good on you.... as for eating the cookies - in my opinion it comes down to willpower - I suffer the same thing but then always try and think of how proud I will be if I can resist the temptation....and nothing beats that feeling of beating temptation!!! :flowerforyou:
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You know I've just become the person in the office who 'doesn't eat'. I don't care that I'm the only one who doesn't indulge, but so what? Oh and the other thing is, are people bringing stuff in because they don't want to have it around home for them to eat? So, are you a garbage can? I know I just can't have one, so I don't have any at all, then there is no decision to make and it won't be an issue. BTW, I have my own food that I take into work, and sit there and eat it, while others indulge, and it works.

I know how hard it is, but leave the guilt out of the equation, it is just food, not good or bad.

GG
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    we all have our downfalls they key is to not beat yourself up about it, so you fell off the horse big deal the key is to get back on your feet dust yourself off and keep on going. You did not get overweight overnight nor will you shed it overnight, I plan to have a cheat day at least once a month to just forget about cal counting and being "good". You can have a small treat every day if you keep it in your caloric and macro goal hell I lost 40 lbs of fat eating ice cream nearly every 2nd or 3rd day. You do not need to be a diet nazi but you do need to learn to turn off that sweet tooth switch so if you can not control it then best to avoid it.
  • KeegansMomma
    Options
    I do this every now and again. You can't stress too much about it. Just admit it happened and move on.

This time of the year is the WORST for it...especially in an office setting. :P Try to keep what sweets you eat in check OR keep a pack of gum at your desk and pop a piece of gum in when you feel the urge to snack. :D

Good luck!
  • SpringFever19
    SpringFever19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If you have a problem, then so do I. I thought things were bad in my new office before the holidays, now it's flat out insanity. I GAVE AWAY a full, unopened platter of Italian cookies today, because we had 3 other trays. Then we had a dessert party during lunch. And there is another one tomorrow. But it gets better- one dessert party was supposed to be breakfast (fruit, bagels, yogurt, juice) and they changed it to a dessert party (because they hate me I think!) On the plus side, I had a cupcake today at the dessert party and that was it! (It felt like a victory at the time) :)
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    We have free snack food at my work. My boss buys oreos, nutter butters, chips ahoy, poptarts, m & ms, keebler cookies, you name it. Some of my fav snack foods. I endulge some days but the times i do are getting fewer and fewer. Instead of nibbling I try to drink water, ask my coworkers to encourage me to make good choices, or bring fruit with me to snack on.
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I know this is kind of gross, but I'm in a pretty large office 40-60 of us on any given day and the "snack" office is the empty office right next to mine.

#1: If I don't know who made it, I won't eat it. How often have you licked a spoon while baking? Does the person that made it have pets? Do they have a clean home? So many unknowns.

#2: I know for a fact there a people in our office who don't wash their hands after using the restroom. That turns me off totally if the tray is already picked at. (store bought or home made)

#3 If I think I really want to eat it ... I look up the calories and then decide if it is worth it.

But I am not perfect. The other day there was a box of unopened peanut brittle. I had to have a tiny taste. Then I brushed my teeth so I wouldn't want anymore.
  • mcovillion
    Options
    i wouldn't worry too much this time of year. it must be hard working in an office with all those goodies around. if you really crave cookies, i have sugar free shortbread cookies. they are really good. made by murray. serving size is 8 cookies (they are kinda small) for 130 calories. i usually eat 2 or 3 and that takes away the craving. can't even tell they're sugar-free. even my 6 year old loves them.