Should I consider this exercise?

Options
From 10am to 3pm I walked around 3 different stores. This is out of the ordinary for me. Should I count this as exercise?

Replies

• swtgrl42
    swtgrl42 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I would if it is not part of your normal routine.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the pace you were walking, you defintiely burned something if your activity level is typically sedentary. Would you say that your heart rate was up during the walking?
  • bbkohn
    bbkohn Posts: 29
    Options
    I personally wouldn't unless you're normally absolutely sedentary. Otherwise I'd just wouldn't count it and if you really did burn a good amount of calories then just enjoy the fact that you might lose a little more this week
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    This is why I love having a watch HRM. I would have hit the calorie counter, checked my pulse three or four times while walking, and known exactly what to record at the end of it.

I'm a definite convert to this useful technology! :smile:
  • KeegansMomma
    Options
    Yes. I count all my shopping trips as exercise...no matter how long I'm walking around the store/mall/wherever. It is moving your legs and maybe getting the heart rate up a little.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    My theory is, if I have to wonder "was that exercise?", then likely I didn't sweat, breath heavy or get my heart rate up. Therefore I don't count it.
    EDIT: I think it's always better to underestimate calories burned, than overestimate.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count ALL of it, because I'm sure there was a lot of stopping and standing, but maybe an hour of walking at a leisurely pace?
  • Jess5825
    Jess5825 Posts: 228
    Options
    I would not count it. I'm sure your heart rate wasn't very high, nor were you sweating. If I went for a brisk walk to the store, I'd probably count that, but shopping, nope.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    If you have your activity level set to sedentary, you can, but try to underestimate calories burned. Maybe only put in 25 calories per hour, so 125 extra calories burned. That is what I do when I am getting some major shopping done.