Stevia a natural sweetner that has no calories

Options
I haave recently heard of stevia, a natural sweetner with no calories. It is not a chemical but a natural herb that grows as a green shrub in Paraguay. Stevia has no calories and a great taste. Plus has a naturally occurring, soluble fiber that is found in chicory, fruits & veg. Unulin fiber helps nourish the friendly bacteria (lactobacillus & bifidobacteria) in the intestines.

Replies

• moonshadow
    Options
    I haave recently heard of stevia, a natural sweetner with no calories. It is not a chemical but a natural herb that grows as a green shrub in Paraguay. Stevia has no calories and a great taste. Plus has a naturally occurring, soluble fiber that is found in chicory, fruits & veg. Unulin fiber helps nourish the friendly bacteria (lactobacillus & bifidobacteria) in the intestines.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    interesting. would love to learn more about it.
  • markfloyd
    markfloyd Posts: 69
    Options
    Stevia is an excellent sweetener and may even help to balance blood sugar levels. It cannot be brought into the US as a sweetener, only as an Herb or Herbal Extract. The USDA and FDA did that many years ago at the request of the Cane Growers. Stevia is sweeter and better for you than processed Sugar. The Cane Growers were afraid that Stevia would replace their cash crop. Money talks and we all know that Sugar is traded on Wall Street.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    You can buy it in most health stores. I have had it before...I don't really enjoy the taste, but I know plenty of people that use it in place of Splenda.
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    we use it in out house ....have for many years....! LOVE it

dd
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    My wife is terribly allergic to all non-sugar sweeteners and even Splenda which comes form Sugar. Does anyone have the same allergy? If so does the Stevia not cause an allergic reaction?
  • KathyMarie
    Options
    I use Stevia, I like it a lot. It is all natural. I use it to sweeten unsweetened cranberry juice. I get it at our local health food store. It's great!