advice for resisting christmas candy

Options
And other sweets... for example, cookies and such. people keep giving me candy and tomorrow my friends are having a holiday party which includes cookies exchange. so far I have managed to pass off the candy I've been given to family and friends or just had a little every day/ every other day. Is that a good plan? What do you guys suggest?

Replies

• msShari1
    Options
    I'm trying to ask myself if this is something that is truly worth the calories. Sometimes, it is really something special but many times, it's not really all that great.
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I have been having such a hard time with this! I try to keep a piece of fruit or a veggie nearby to snack on instead. but the cookies are calling me! the 26th they better all be freakin' GONE! I am purging the house.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Nope, I am failing miserably over here. I can't resist the chocolate covered cookies!
  • silvercold9
    silvercold9 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well, I love my chocolate... and I keep getting the GOOD kinds, like Lindt truffles or Ghiradelli squares. They're so good!! Another thing I've been doing is adding foods to my diary before I eat them and thinking about if they're really worth the dent it makes in my calorie count.
  • fatgirlslimagain
    fatgirlslimagain Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    my advice - eat a really healthy nutrusious low GI breakfast .... make sure you have some healthy snacks etc

if you're not starving you can resist anything :)

Also if you eat well you can allow yourself a treat without guilt anyway

good luck :love:
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I tried the entering before eating and failed miserably. I get to work and my bosses all love to freakin' bake and it has been like a giant stream of yumminess. I hate that they all can cook!
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I just have amazing willpower... and dont eat it.. We have had sooo many morning teas at work and I have not eaten a single piece of food at any of them.
  • fatgirlslimagain
    fatgirlslimagain Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Well, I love my chocolate... and I keep getting the GOOD kinds, like Lindt truffles or Ghiradelli squares. They're so good!! Another thing I've been doing is adding foods to my diary before I eat them and thinking about if they're really worth the dent it makes in my calorie count.

such good advice. I do the same thing. once you see what it adds you do think twice!!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    And other sweets... for example, cookies and such. people keep giving me candy and tomorrow my friends are having a holiday party which includes cookies exchange. so far I have managed to pass off the candy I've been given to family and friends or just had a little every day/ every other day. Is that a good plan? What do you guys suggest?

I have two potential methods, both of which have merit:

1) Use this to practice moderation and log the calories to the best of your abilities. HAVE a cookie, or a piece of candy, and ENJOY it. Hit your targets at the end of the day for calories and macronutrients, and make "reasonable" food choices for the rest of the day and suffer no ill consequences and lose weight. Win. Watch others stare in awe as you munch in to that cookie and show up weeks later looking all baller. You go girl.

2) Make a post about how you like to occasionally eat cookies and candies, and watch how irritated some people will get. It will probably turn you off of cookies and candies. Also watch how people will be all like "oh noes insulin you will get fat you need brown carbs blah blah".

My suggestion would be 1).
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options

1) Use this to practice moderation and log the calories to the best of your abilities. HAVE a cookie, or a piece of candy, and ENJOY it. Hit your targets at the end of the day for calories and macronutrients, and make "reasonable" food choices for the rest of the day and suffer no ill consequences and lose weight. Win. Watch others stare in awe as you munch in to that cookie and show up weeks later looking all baller. You go girl.

2) Make a post about how you like to occasionally eat cookies and candies, and watch how irritated some people will get. It will probably turn you off of cookies and candies. Also watch how people will be all like "oh noes insulin you will get fat you need brown carbs blah blah".

I don't know, #2 sounds pretty great. :)
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

I either give it away, throw it away, or save it for a special day. (ha ha that rhymes) If I'm good all week long then I can go all out on the weekends....well, at least for the holidays. EDIT: I do this because I can't just eat a little. If I eat some, usually it'll turn into a lot.
  • LyriByri
    Options
    I just stay as far away from the food as possible. Maybe have a friend who is also trying not to eat much, you can help each other.
    I do think it's ok to let yourself eat junk food everyone and a while.
  • moxi155
    moxi155 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...maybe a late reply for you,but I don't deprive myself of anything that I want to eat. I incorporate it into my day...and I exercise it out. I also take a day, especially during the holidays, and eat whatever I want...one day won't kill you! Enjoy life, eat as you wish and exercise to stay healthy.
  • Mcoh01
    Mcoh01 Posts: 11
    Options
    I loooooove chocolate, and I used to just eat whatever came my way. I used to feel this sort of weird urgency to eat treats, like, what if I lose this chance to enjoy a cookie or chocolate? I know it sounds silly, but I felt obligated to take advantage of what was in front of me. Maybe it's the 5 year old in me who doesn't want to be told I can't have candy. I also rationalized that I could indulge because I was feeling tired/stressed/starved for food/etc....

What I think about now is how I feel after I eat the treats. Something might taste good and rev up my energy for a few minutes, but the crash after the sugar rush usually just isn't worth it, regardless of the calorie count. Maybe it's just me, but I would always feel sluggish after eating treats as well.

Don't get me wrong, I still eat candy and chocolate in moderation, but now I really savor it, and I always make sure it's something I really like.

Otherwise, I just dump it into the communal candy basket at work and let others enjoy the sugar!
  • shana_phoenix83
    shana_phoenix83 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You just need to decide whether or not you're in a place where you can have these things in moderation. If you're able to have just one (and log it, and adjust your diet accordingly), then go for it. If you can't (like me), and they are going to sabotage your diet, stay away from them. We have received numerous treats from our neighbors this last week, and I have given them to my husband and told him to either eat them or I will throw them out. I know myself too well to think I can have them just hanging around the house and not eat them. One day I think I'll be able to eat these kinds of things in moderation, but I'm being honest with myself for once, and I know that I'm not there yet.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    In the words of Anthony Kiedis, "Give it away, give it away, give it away, now!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr_uHJPUlO8
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Personally I follow the Red Hot Chilli Peppers diet philosophy:

"give it away, give it away, give it away now"... afterall it must have worked for thise guys, they're pretty cut! :wink:\

Nooooo, my joke horribly cut of at the knees by an earlier post :sad:
    Now I feel so bad... someone pass me the cookies and chocolate :laugh:
  • sweetcheeks27
    sweetcheeks27 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I hate eating after I just brushed my teeth, especially anything sweet so the last thing I am going to do before I leave my house for the party is brush my teeth. I also bought some gum to bring with me as well. I'm cheap and don't want to waste gum if it still has flavor ;)
  • judykritikos
    Options
    Since I'd kill small dogs to get chocolate - I can't believe I have stayed strong and haven't had ONE piece of candy/chocolate since Sept. Made it thru Halloween, deserts at Thanksgiving, but I'm tellin' ya - the last 2 weeks have been TORTURE! I just keep saying to myself: Yes - it would taste GREAT for about 50 seconds. But fitting into size 12's/10's - feels AWESOME for months. Just keep them out of reach is all I can say, walk to the fridge, get a drink of something - and keep on walking. I CAN"T WAIT FOR JANUARY AND ALL THIS CANDY STUFF TO BE OUT OF HERE!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options

I'd go for option 1.

Option 3) just before you're about to reach for the candy, go & brush your teeth. Do this every time. You may brush your teeth 15 times on xmas day. You're dentist will be happy.