Weight loss supplements

Options
What is everyone's experience with weight loss supplements? I know Alli is the only FDA approved one (though it only passed by one vote) but I'm wondering if it is worth the money.

Also I know that green tea is supposed to boost weight loss, so does anyone have any experience with green tea pills?

What about Zantrex 3? I know it's supposed to boost energy because of high caffeine but do I really need more energy if I work out every day anyway?

How about cleansing?

Or experience with any other pills?

I am NOT looking for a quick fix, I know that diet and exercise are the only ways to lose weight. I was just wondering if there is a boost out there, or even something to make me healthier.

Replies

• cmoe25027
    cmoe25027 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Alli can be very...unpleasant, if you consume too much fat. I have known people who have used it successfully but it is mostly because you are terrified that whatever you put in your mouth will come out surprisingly quick and messy. I don't have much experience with the other pills but most of the ones touting super fast fat loss have been found to either not work at all or be too dangerous for long term use.

As for myself, I take a multivitamin, fish oil, vitamin d, and co q 10 as a daily wellness regimen. I don't ingest a lot of caffeine regularly but I do take a 200mg caffeine pill about an hour before I workout to give myself a little extra pep to push myself harder.

Cheers,
    Collin
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I take a multivit as well which helps a lot with my cravings. I've also started drinking a detox tea which helps with my aches and pain and waking up earlier.
  • jmxxiiii
    jmxxiiii Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    non prescription: oxy elite pro
    prescription: phentermine/adipex
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    The only effective non-prescription one I ever tried got banned. Damn those lobbyists straight to hell.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    In the past I have tried a few different things hoping for an energy boost and/or appetite suppressent...nothing I tried worked, though I never tried any that you mentioned. What really helped me suppress my appetite was logging my food and realizing how much I was eating on a daily basis.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    A sensible diet and exercise works well and is free.
  • knurse1987
    knurse1987 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I tried Alli and it only lasted a week...I was so paranoid because I had heard horror stories from all the side effects it could have if you cheated just the slightest bit. So I was very strict with my diet and ended up eating the same things all the time and it got really really bland and really old really fast lol...I didnt experience the side effects, but I had read how some were inbelievably horrible...I would recommend it only if you can stay very committed to the diet...
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I tried phentermine once. Lost weight fast as hell, but rebounded. It actually just made my body chew through its muscle. I never had flab before, now I'm rocking a fat gut. Lost muscle, gained back LOADS of flabby, nasty, fat.

I say avoid the supplements.

My 2 cents.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to "boost"?

Energy- green tea

Fat loss- CLA, omega 3 oils

Thermogenic fat burners- oxy elite pro (although the price is ridiculous and for some it makes you feel cracked out)

Wet oily poop that stains your pants- Alli
  • LeAnn_Mae
    LeAnn_Mae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've recently started taking Lipo 6 Black for Her. It's marketed as a fat burner. Not sure how effective it is at burning fat but I do know it suppresses my appetite so I consider that worth it! Started it Saturday and already lost 2.5 pounds (and that's with no exercise)