natural sleeping aids

Options
2»

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Workout 6:30pm or later. You'll sleep like a baby.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Just FYI, a lot of the herbal teas don't have any caffeine in them. I can't have caffeine after 1 pm or I won't sleep, so I've done a lot of research on this. The "Sleepytime" teas are always caffeine-free. :)

Yes, and in America herbal tea is not actually tea. In fact, in some countries they don't even consider herbal tea actual tea!!
  • MissOphelia
    Options
    Melatonin! I freaking love that stuff. Prevents cancer too, and boosts your immune system. :]

I also take trazedone, it's a medicine my doctor prescribed.

I've had insomnia for a couple of years now and I started taking melatonin a few months ago. It helps somewhat but I'll warn you now that it may not be a total knockout kinda thing for you. I think I fall asleep faster but it doesn't help me stay asleep. As for trazedone...I've taken that too and it did absolutely nothing for me. That being said, it didn't make me feel groggy in the morning at all. You just want to be careful with melatonin if you're on any kind of prescribed meds because it can interact quite badly with them. :)
  • MissOphelia
    Options
    Also forgot to mention that when you say you've been waking up not being able to breathe...that sounds like it may possibly be sleep apnea. My mum has that and she went to a sleep clinic and they gave her a breathing machine thing for night time. You could try checking with a sleep doctor and see what they say!

Hope this helps! :)
  • MissOphelia
    Options
    I do use melatonin occasionally- I sleep like a log and feel amazing the next day! I only need a half tablet and drift off within the hour.

I've also used valerian root. Both work well.

This is the Valerian mix I've used:

http://well.ca/products/jamieson-relax-sleep_331.html

I read in a health magazine that valerian root is bad for you...increases the risk of cancer maybe? I can't really remember...you can probably look it up on google.
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I am totally in the same boat, and I figured out for me, it is stress/depression related.

Melatonin is great, and trader joe's sells chewable mint kind that tastes awesome. (lol)

Also, taking baths, meditating, yoga, working out, are all fabulous stress relievers. Maybe try a combo. I really suggest teaching yourself how to meditate. It is the only thing that works for me.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few OTC sleep aids, usually when I have a long day ahead of me, or am off travelling and not staying at home.

I find a routine at the end of the night helps. Take it an hour before bed, make sure you kill all the lights, brush and get into bed. Watch tv, or read...whatever it is before you go to bed. It should help you fall asleep easier.

Keeping the same ritual every night really helps your body shut down and get used to bedtime.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    A friend has used it and liked it. How about a glass of warm milk? Poppy seed dessert? - although watch the cals lol

Kiwi had some good suggestions!! ^^
  • flamegirl72
    flamegirl72 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    bump for later...
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I am totally in the same boat, and I figured out for me, it is stress/depression related.

Melatonin is great, and trader joe's sells chewable mint kind that tastes awesome. (lol)

Also, taking baths, meditating, yoga, working out, are all fabulous stress relievers. Maybe try a combo. I really suggest teaching yourself how to meditate. It is the only thing that works for me.

^^ this. Meditation really helps me.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Try valerian root
  • hello_kitty3
    hello_kitty3 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I tried the melatonin last night and I fell asleep faster than usual, but I still woke up a few times. The bright side is that instead of staying awake, I was able to fall back asleep almost immediately after. I woke up an hour earlier than I needed to but was too awake to go back to sleep. I feel a little more rested today than usual but over all still a little tired... probably need to catch up on a lot of missed sleep before I feel back to "normal". I'll try some of your other suggestions maybe a combination will work best for me... its so frustrating when you're tired all time! Thanks again for all your help :)