help with lunchmeats. Too much sodium

Options
Hello MFP friends. I am wanting to eat a healthier sandwich at work. Usually I eat something like pre packaged turkey or balogna or soemthing. I have been reading about all the sodium in there, and I am looking for a healthier alternative. I was considering going to peanut butter, but I just don't really know what to do. I like having a sandwich to take with me because they are quick and affordable. Do any of you have any suggestions as to what I could put between my whole wheat?? Thanks

Replies

• K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I would suggest tuna or I would cook a bunch of chicken breasts over the weekend and use that meat for sandwiches. Throw some paprika & pepper on them and bake at 350* for 30 minutes or so (check for doneness). You could also cook up a turkey breast for sandwich meat.
  • jamja
    jamja Posts: 190
    Options
    Trader Joe's and Costco both sell fresh sliced turkey. The TJ version has only a few ingredients mostly spices....great alternative to lunch meat. The Costco version is also good but has a few extras, unneeded in my opinion, ingredients. Both have lower sodium and no nitrates as compared to lunch meat.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    avoid em completely! i get a whole chicken or meat , broil or bake/roast and portion for sandwiches, its a great way to cut your sodium intake ")
  • mego07
    mego07 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Go to where they slice fresh meats in the deli part of the grocery store. Lots of times you can find it to be the same price as pre packaged and it isn't loaded with a lot of msg's and preserves. My mom has to eat a low sodium diet for additional health reasons and she can buy low sodium fresh sliced ham and it's on sale quite often.
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Go to where they slice fresh meats in the deli part of the grocery store. Lots of times you can find it to be the same price as pre packaged and it isn't loaded with a lot of msg's and preserves. My mom has to eat a low sodium diet for additional health reasons and she can buy low sodium fresh sliced ham and it's on sale quite often.
    I was going to say exactly the same thing about fresh deli.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I take a whole chicken or a roast and throw it in the crockpot for a few hours and then bone it out and use the meat for sandwiches or make chicken salad. Try using plain greek yogurt and some mustard in tuna or salmon instead of mayo. Experiment!
    Good luck!
  • NCmcMan
    Options
    I would suggest tuna or I would cook a bunch of chicken breasts over the weekend and use that meat for sandwiches. Throw some paprika & pepper on them and bake at 350* for 30 minutes or so (check for doneness). You could also cook up a turkey breast for sandwich meat.

Thats a great idea.. Thanks!