Anybody throw up after working out?

Options
I've done Insanity off and on in past. This week I've been doing it every day (rest day is Saturday). I never had this happen to me before. I felt so horrible and still do. Anybody had this happen to them and if so what did you do to calm your stomach down? =/

Replies

• NCmcMan
    Options
    Hi, no I don't really work out, but I watch the show the biggest loser. They seem to always throw up after their work outs, but I don't think its really that bad. Are you having a big meal before you work out though? Are you new to working out? It seems like from the TV show after they have been working out for awhile, they don't get those problems anymore. I hope it works out for you!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I haven't thrown up after a workout, but I did have one day when I felt sick and dizzy after I came back from a long bike ride. It was because I hadn't eaten enough.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I have. It's not awesome.

The first time i did plyo x - threw up in the livingroom. Then got embarrassed and cried.
    Threw up during abripper x the first time.

Threw up during a run in front of a bunch of people - DID not cry.

It seems to happen when i either try something new or overexert myself in extreme heat.

I now wait an hour after i eat before I work out.
    It is not that uncommon, although i can't imagine it is that good for a body.

My workout partner has throw up during abripper and during HIIT training. Although I think during HIIT we was super hung over and would not admit it.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I've felt like vomiting during a few workouts and it was usually due to not waiting long enough after I ate before RUNNING (lol), drinking alcohol with my lunch and then running (WORST IDEA EVER, lol Felt like my stomach was on fire! :embarassed:), and waiting too long to workout and basically working out on an empty stomach.

I'm not sure what caused yours...maybe not enough calories in before you worked out? I've heard insanity is ... well, insane. Try giving yourself 30-45 minutes after you eat before you workout. Make sure you eat a lean protein, a healthy starch, AND veggie before your workout. I find my runs are much better when I have all three. The protein will keep you full so you aren't working out with the grumblies, the fiber will also help keep you full, and the healthy starch (I'm talking a high carb veggie or whole grain starch) will give you energy LONGER so you can workout longer.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I used spew during work outs years ago. Try not to drink a lot of fluids right before you work out as this was my problem it may help you as well...

Edit: excessive lactic acid can cause this as as well. Your body will get better at metabolizing it in time.
  • MissHellsing
    MissHellsing Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Before my workout I had some Beans with Wild Rice and A LOT of water then went right into it. Probably the worst idea. =/ I'll def wait a good while after I eat before I do that kind of workout again.
  • RheneeB
    RheneeB Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I don't throw up but I get the hiccups and start yawning. I have been in the middle of a cardio workout, sweating like a pig, panting like a dog and I will start yawning. Strange......................
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I've never thrown up, but i have def. felt like it before/during/after my personal training sessions.

I have a rocky stomach anyways, so sometimes I wonder if that plays a role... but I always try to eat a light meal(like yogurt or a handful of nuts) before i workout. It's enough to keep my stomach settled and give me energy to workout, but not enough to make me want to puke.
  • brittbergh
    brittbergh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    while visiting my brother I was doing insanity with him, we both had a larger meal and decided right after we should do pure cardio...yep we were glad he had two bathrooms... stupid mistake! I cannot eat an hour or less before working out and if I work out first thing in the morning I cannot eat and limit my water or else!
    its not awesome but it happens.