Sugar Detox?!

Options
So, I have a horrible sweet tooth and a friend of mine mentioned I should try doing a Sugar/Carb Detox for 2 weeks!
I know that I have to plan this in order to follow through, so any advice on how to do this or perhaps a menu??

Thanks!

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    what is the purpose?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    what is the purpose?

I was about to post the same question. And I still think your costume is awesome sir.
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I know that the less sugar I eat, the less sugar I crave. A week or two of eliminating candies, chocolates and desserts helps a lot to control my cravings!
  • SweetMegz04
    SweetMegz04 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    He is a GM at a Gym and I guess it is to help with Sugar Cravings..
  • SweetMegz04
    Options
    Exactly! :)
  • SweetMegz04
    Options
    I posted below.. and I too like the Costume- Very 300 like!
  • Sidesteal
    Options

^ You should still get feedback from others on the information he provides. Some of the crappiest nutrition info comes out of gyms.

I think that practicing moderation is far superior to practicing elimination, but if removing something from your diet helps with this then more power to you and I wish you luck.
  • SweetMegz04
    Options
    I Agree.. Gyms do tend to share some crazy ideas. But he is also a good personal friend of mine- So I believe he has the best intentions. Nonetheless, am doing my research before begining this type of thing.. :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

^ You should still get feedback from others on the information he provides. Some of the crappiest nutrition info comes out of gyms.

I think that practicing moderation is far superior to practicing elimination, but if removing something from your diet helps with this then more power to you and I wish you luck.

I agree with this.

What happens after 2 weeks of no sugar? I know what would happen for me, I would go buck wild eating as much as I could :tongue: Probably not the best in the long run I don't think.

There's nothing inherently wrong with sugar/carbs anyway. Just have a chocolate instead of a box of chocolates, stick to your cal/macro goals & all is good. (Hopefully get some fruit/veggies/meat for your micronutrients & overall health also)

And thanks re the costume. 300 is what I was going for :smile:
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    I Agree.. Gyms do tend to share some crazy ideas. But he is also a good personal friend of mine- So I believe he has the best intentions. Nonetheless, am doing my research before begining this type of thing.. :)

How long have you been tracking your calorie and macronutrient intake and have you considered allowing yourself to have treats daily and just factor them into your intake goals? In other words, enjoy a small bowl of ice cream or a piece of cake and account for the calories and fit it into your allowance of kcals?

Also, are you diabetic or insulin resistant?
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I would assume the purpose is to get rid of the sweet tooth she has.
  • SweetMegz04
    Options
    No, I am not a diabetic... no issues like that. I think the goal was just to help me get away from the sweets, perhaps something this drastic could help. Go all or Nothing, right? But yes, I also agree with what happens after 2 weeks. So, I think what I will do is focus more on staying away from sugar but allowing some- a piece of chocolate for instance. I find that tea and stevia help with the "sweet" craving too.
  • SweetMegz04
    Options
    No, I am not a diabetic... no issues like that. I think the goal was just to help me get away from the sweets, perhaps something this drastic could help. Go all or Nothing, right? But yes, I also agree with what happens after 2 weeks. So, I think what I will do is focus more on staying away from sugar but allowing some- a piece of chocolate for instance. I find that tea and stevia help with the "sweet" craving too.
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    what is the purpose?
    The purpose is it makes it easier (for some people--probably not the same for everyone) to cut down or eliminate sugar from your diet. I tried gradually giving it up and it didn't work for me. I joined a "No junk food for 21 days" challenge and it helped me to get past the cravings because I just knew it was off limits, period. Once the 21 days were up, I didn't feel like immediately going out and eating every sugary thing in sight just because the challenge was over. I have been better able to save desserts only for special occasions, rather than having them several times a week. If that is what you mean by doing a "sugar detox," then I would definitely recommend it.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

Just as an FYI to hopefully ease your mind a bit: In the context of weight loss, individual food sources are irrelevant as far as fat gain/loss outside of their contribution to your daily totals for calories and macros. For example, a scoop of ice cream by itself will not make you fat. Overconsuming calories will make you fat, and a scoop of ice cream has calories in it, as does an apple, as does a bowl of vegetables.

This is an important distinction to make because if you have the misconception (and I'm not saying you do) that certain foods are inherently "bad" then you'll end up depriving yourself of a lot of pleasure on this journey, and you and I both know that losing weight isn't fun as it is.

Now all that being said, if you compose your diet entirely of ice cream and cake you won't get much food and you'll develop micronutrient deficiencies and health problems, so obviously you should do your best to be smart about your food choices. But I'd also RECOMMEND that you intentionally budget SOME of your calories towards things that are what you'd call a "treat.

Eat mostly nutrient dense foods like vegetables, fruit, nuts, meats, fish, etc.
    Eat "a little bit" of snacks/treats/etc.

And win.
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I think that's great you're looking to eliminate sugar where you can! I need to do the same! Of course, I'd still consume fruits (as I do in my morning green smoothies). However, I do eat lots of sugary stuff so I say let's kick this together!!

Since sugar adds up to simple carbs, perhaps focus on low-carb specific eating, drink lots of water and your idea of tea & stevia is fantastic. After this Sunday I plan to do this as well as I am back to my starting weight as of today. Oh man, the holidays are tricky!!

Add me if you'd like!! Always love having new friends with similar goals and state of mind.

Cheers! Nikki:flowerforyou:
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Options
    i have a sweet tooth myself...

I gave it up for Lent this year and realize my dependency for it went after the 40 days. And then now that i'm on MFP, i dont mess with it too too much, though i still have my occasional sweet treat. (i just make sure its worked into my cals for the day)

In essence, make up your mind that you are going to give it up for a certain amount of days... or a month or so. Like a challenge if u will.. If you can get people into it as well, y'all will hold each other accountable.

At the end of the challenge, you'll feel VERY accomplished and not so dependent.
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    what is the purpose?
    The purpose is it makes it easier (for some people--probably not the same for everyone) to cut down or eliminate sugar from your diet. I tried gradually giving it up and it didn't work for me. I joined a "No junk food for 21 days" challenge and it helped me to get past the cravings because I just knew it was off limits, period. Once the 21 days were up, I didn't feel like immediately going out and eating every sugary thing in sight just because the challenge was over. I have been better able to save desserts only for special occasions, rather than having them several times a week. If that is what you mean by doing a "sugar detox," then I would definitely recommend it.

I also have to agree... As Sidesteal said, a scoop of ice cream is not going to make you fat. But for some people (sugar addicts), it's really hard to stop at one scoop. I do find that a few weeks of "sugar detoxing" really helps you appreciate the sweetness in small amounts of sweets, or in fruits, and eliminates the crazy sweet cravings that some of us have!
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Options
    Just as an FYI to hopefully ease your mind a bit: In the context of weight loss, individual food sources are irrelevant as far as fat gain/loss outside of their contribution to your daily totals for calories and macros. For example, a scoop of ice cream by itself will not make you fat. Overconsuming calories will make you fat, and a scoop of ice cream has calories in it, as does an apple, as does a bowl of vegetables.

This is an important distinction to make because if you have the misconception (and I'm not saying you do) that certain foods are inherently "bad" then you'll end up depriving yourself of a lot of pleasure on this journey, and you and I both know that losing weight isn't fun as it is.

Now all that being said, if you compose your diet entirely of ice cream and cake you won't get much food and you'll develop micronutrient deficiencies and health problems, so obviously you should do your best to be smart about your food choices. But I'd also RECOMMEND that you intentionally budget SOME of your calories towards things that are what you'd call a "treat.

Eat mostly nutrient dense foods like vegetables, fruit, nuts, meats, fish, etc.
    Eat "a little bit" of snacks/treats/etc.

And win.

This!
  • SweetMegz04
    Options
    what is the purpose?

This is exactly what I mean. Not something so harsh I guess as "detox" but yes, making it off limits for the dates I choose and having on special occassions. I think would work best for me. Kind of like making my own rules and saying NO.. like a little kid I guess, lol