I need a good hrm!!!!

Options
So I'm birthday shopping for myself and I have a regular hrm from WalMart which seems fine but I want a good one not this one. Could you please tell me some good ones? Thanks! Trying to put in the order any minute. Thanks!

Replies

• mlh29
    mlh29 Posts: 40
    Options
    go with a polar brand. Most gym equipment is equipped with polar electronis so you can get a read out form you chest strap..

ft4, ft7.ft40.ft60 are all good. Look at the polar website and see what suits you best

Check ebayand amazon for really good deals. I recently bought a ft60 for under 97 shipped on ebay
    Good luck
  • jmhunter84
    Options
    I just purchased a HRM under POLAR. Ordered from Amazon
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar FT7 earlier this year and for the first couple of weeks or so, I loved it. After about a couple of weeks or so, though, I noticed that after the first couple of minutes of wearing it during a workout, it would kind of "zone in" on a heart rate and it wouldn't change ... in other words, my heart rate would get up to 135, for example, and then that's where the reading would stay, regardless of whether I increased or decreased the intensity of my workout. Finally, after about 5-10 minutes, it would register a different heart rate ... but then it would lock in on that one.

I've tried everything that I know of ... I wash the chest strap after every use, I immerse it in water before putting it on, I've tried a HRM gel, I've replaced the batteries ... nothing helps. I don't know if it's something about my body or if I just got a bad one.

With that being said, I can say that before it started having issues, I really did like it. And seeing as how the vast majority of people that have an FT7 love it, I'm fairly confident that the issue that I had with mine is not wide-spread and more the exception than the norm.

Enjoy which ever you go with and Happy Birthday! :)
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar FT7 earlier this year and for the first couple of weeks or so, I loved it. After about a couple of weeks or so, though, I noticed that after the first couple of minutes of wearing it during a workout, it would kind of "zone in" on a heart rate and it wouldn't change ... in other words, my heart rate would get up to 135, for example, and then that's where the reading would stay, regardless of whether I increased or decreased the intensity of my workout. Finally, after about 5-10 minutes, it would register a different heart rate ... but then it would lock in on that one.

I've tried everything that I know of ... I wash the chest strap after every use, I immerse it in water before putting it on, I've tried a HRM gel, I've replaced the batteries ... nothing helps. I don't know if it's something about my body or if I just got a bad one.

With that being said, I can say that before it started having issues, I really did like it. And seeing as how the vast majority of people that have an FT7 love it, I'm fairly confident that the issue that I had with mine is not wide-spread and more the exception than the norm.

Enjoy which ever you go with and Happy Birthday! :)

I would get that checked by Polar - at least contact their customer service.

I have an FT7 - wear it at least 5-6 days a week for over 2 months and mine works great. I can't imagine working out without wearing it now! I got mine on Amazon for about $65 and it was one of the best investments I've ever made. Research the different features of Polar on their website (they have a compare feature) and then check Amazon for the best deals.

Happy Birthday!
  • jasmineconley
    jasmineconley Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the happy birthday! I am concerned about the chest straps because if they have to go over my breast I am in TROUBLE! but under they should be fine I kind of like the watch style but the one I have it seems as though it doesn't matter if I run or crawl I always burn about 10 calories per minute so it seems like it isn't functioning properly :(
  • tageekly
    Options
    You have to have one with a chest strap - that's the most accurate count. I thought it would bug me but it's adjustable and I just slide it under my sports bra (it goes below the boobies :wink: ) and don't really notice it when I'm working out. Just get the sensors really wet, with warm water (cold water is shocking when you put that thing on!), and put the watch on and get to work!
  • jasmineconley
    Options
    I'm just stuck on that bad boy sliding! LOL
  • tageekly
    Options

HA! Never had it happen to me. Cinch it up, tuck it under the bra and it stays put.
  • inatay7
    inatay7 Posts: 141
    Options
    Im getting a Garmin 410 for Xmas. I did my research for it and it's great value for money in comparison to the Polar, imo.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

It won't slide if you have the strap tight enough... mine doesn't slide around at all.

I have a Polar FT7 and I love it!
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    My vote is for Polar.
    I have the FT40 and it works great for me.

Chest strap goes under your boobs and will not slide around.

I had some good size boobs when I started and never had a problem. :bigsmile:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What do you want it to do? Simply track HR? Estimate burned calories? Do you want GPS or any other features? Are you only going to be wearing it when you exercise?

Kinda hard to make a recommendation with so little info about what you want/are looking for.
  • carrie145
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and I love it!
  • jwilds1010
    jwilds1010 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT7 love it, use it daily, never any problems with it!!!
  • jwilds1010
    jwilds1010 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT7 love it, use it daily, never any problems with it!!!
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I'm a data geek, so I want my HRM to upload to my laptop!! I have a MAC and Polar does not interface to the MAC. So, I switched to Garmin. I also ride a bike and working on running, so I have the Garmin 310XT Forerunner. It's pricey, but displays my distance, speed, heart rate, and many other metrics. I upload the data to Garmin Connect.
  • jasmineconley
    Options
    See I do odd exercises which aren't in the database so I was really going for calories burned and I also have to watch my heart rate as I have a fast pulse to bgein with... I just hated that my old one it didn't matter what I did I always lost 10 calories per minute. It didn't seem right so I decided I need a change :)
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    Garmin Forerunner 305
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I have the FT60 and I love it.
  • gdr1976
    gdr1976 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7 and love it, no problems so far.