Do you guys recommend

Options
Weightwatchers?

I'm looking to drop 45 lbs, and i'm not exactly sure where to begin looking. I'm cool with counting calories, this website interested me because of its simplicity in its tools.

I looked at Weightwatchers' online system, and it looks great but is not free.

I'm not very well versed in what things I 'should' be having every day (if i'm having too much sodium, too many fats, too many carbs, not enough protein..) which is what got me into this position in the first place.

And also lets be honest, most foods you see first in the grocery stores are produce, then processed foods. A lot of people talk about exotic "whole wheat no calorie wafers and tofu" or something strange.
What about real foods that are available to us? I guess i'm just more confused the more I read.

I understand calorie counting, and keeping a net balance; that I can certainly do. Also keeping hydrated, no problem. Problem is, in the details. HALP! :tongue:

Replies

• justice7ca
    justice7ca Posts: 6
    Options
    Weightwatchers?

I'm looking to drop 45 lbs, and i'm not exactly sure where to begin looking. I'm cool with counting calories, this website interested me because of its simplicity in its tools.

I'm not very well versed in what things I 'should' be having every day (if i'm having too much sodium, too many fats, too many carbs, not enough protein..) which is what got me into this position in the first place.

And also lets be honest, most foods you see first in the grocery stores are produce, then processed foods. A lot of people talk about exotic "whole wheat no calorie wafers and tofu" or something strange.
    What about real foods that are available to us? I guess i'm just more confused the more I read.

I understand calorie counting, and keeping a net balance; that I can certainly do. Also keeping hydrated, no problem. Problem is, in the details. HALP! :tongue:
  • jlhcrh3
    jlhcrh3 Posts: 314
    Options
    With this website you can customize what you see on your food page, and also change it at any time. You can see fat, protein, sodium, sugar, vitamins, etc. My mom decided to do weightwatchers, and it is basically the same as this, except you don't really count calories, because they've got the point system. It's really a personal preference. I think she may actually come to this site because she's seen me having some success and really enjoying it. (and its FREE :bigsmile: )
  • jlhcrh3
    jlhcrh3 Posts: 314
    Options
    Also, they say that when you go grocery shopping to stay on the outside walls, because that is where are the fresh, "real" food is kept : )
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Weightwatchers?

Personally-- this is all I have needed-- do some research here in the threads-- there's bunches of helpful threads-- a lot of experienced people. Log your food, count your calories, do your exercise, make some friends, get some accountability and encouragment, do some challenges to keep you motivated-- we have some here who have lost over 100 pounds with this as their only tool.

You can do this-- why spend money you don't need to?

My two cents-- welcome, by the way!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I agree with marla and the other poster- WW does this same thing but they charge you. points/calories, you're still tracking your food, so why not do it for free?
  • bareden
    bareden Posts: 19
    Options
    I went to Weight Watchers a few years ago and calculating points was not that hard, but now I just count calories and that is so much easier. My doctor just wants me to stay at 1200 calories a day. I do not eat processed foods or add salt or butter to my foods. Makes it easier to know that I am not having to much sodium or fats, etc. I just try and eat 'real' food like you said. Healthier that way too.
  • justice7ca
    Options
    Personally-- this is all I have needed-- do some research here in the threads-- there's bunches of helpful threads-- a lot of experienced people. Log your food, count your calories, do your exercise, make some friends, get some accountability and encouragment, do some challenges to keep you motivated-- we have some here who have lost over 100 pounds with this as their only tool.

You can do this-- why spend money you don't need to?

My two cents-- welcome, by the way!

Awesome, Thank you for the lovely posts!

That is very encouraging to see people do so well on this site alone; and it shows in your signature weight loss values.

I'll stick around here, I like how simple this site makes the calorie counts; i'm putting in the exercise as well and I can't believe the room it gives you on your net balance.

I work at a desk job and used to be fit and atheletic; now i'm overweight and depressed. Time to do something about it.

I hope, that I will be able to reference this post down the road as a starting point to success. I'm going to keep a positive attitude about this, and i'm very happy to see the responses i've got here already.

So again, Thank you. Here we go!
  • ptrad
    ptrad Posts: 22
    Options
    jlhcrh3 is right--you can calculate and customize what you are tracking. I am eating healthier, same type meals, fewer sugars and fats (which were my downfall), reducing portions and listening to my internal hunger cues. Also exercising more and am challenged to stay within that calorie range. I would suggest eating what you like in the healthy range! Enjoy food the healthy way! That's what God intended!

I do try to purchase fresh foods, and foods high in grains and fibers, no trans fats, for my family. Our bodies don't know how to process transfats because they are man made.

Good luck! It's a great adventure!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,983 Member
    Options
    there's a thread on MFP about "clean eating" which is the goal I've set for myself. We eat vegies, some fruit, chicken, fish, whole grains, non fat yogurt, and Isagenix protein shakes.

It took awhile find my way in what I eat

Take it one day at a time
    stay open minded to new ideas
    take baby steps
    drink a lot of water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    take the time to learn from the people on MFP

if you work hard, you can do this :bigsmile:
  • Lillybelle1889
    Lillybelle1889 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I did ww before i got pregnant with my son. I lost 10lb the first month and then found out i was pregnant. I wanted to start it up again but did not have the money for it and that is how I found this site. There really isn't any difference except ww does points. I personally don't think its worth paying for. This site has everything that they do and its free!
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I did the points (not online, but used their system) and now I"m doing this, a few years later. The thing about the points is that it's all you need to care about. Doing that I hit a plateau that after six months I gave up and gained some of it back, now years later I find this. From here I have learned why I failed every other time, I learned why I plateaued back then, and how to keep the weight off. It's really much more helpful than anything my friend learned in WW. She's been doing it for a few years, lost 60 pounds, which is great - but in 3 years?? I've lost 30 in the past 4 mos and will soon pass her up. I have more info than she does.

You can still use their frozen meals (I use them for quick lunches or on days I don't go to the gym and need to keep cal count down) and you can still get the nutritional info off the package.

The other thing about WW is it's for accountability and for teaching you what you are eating. Well, that's here.

Unlike WW, it WILL become important to track your sodium, because you can retain a lot of water that way, I learned I was eating 3-4x the daily suggested intake. WOW. You don't necessarily need to start tracking everything at once - fats, carbs, proteins are good to start, get into the habit of keeping those numbers in line and then you can later learn more about what your body needs or doesn't need.

Here's a couple of things that you'll learn from people on this site: eating back your exercise cals may or may not work for you. There's a huge chasm there between what people think. You need to know what your body needs and how your body works. I highly recommend eating them back in the beginning for a few months, and see what happens. After a few months, if you're not seeing decent progress (not 10 pounds a month, just .5 to 1 pound a week on average is healthy) then try eating back only 3/4 of them, etc. If you put your body into starvation mode you WILL gain weight regardless of how "good" you are with your food. If you are heavier, you will lose weight faster, if you have 30 or less to lose, it will be much slower.

About every 30 days your body will get used to what you're doing and if you change it up at that point you can avoid most plateaus. I hit my first one after 3 mos. Most people hit them more frequently. Sometimes you need to eat more, not less, to start the weight loss. I ended my plateau by not going to the gym for a week and went over on cals because I was sick and ended up losing 4 pounds that week. Go figure. But it "shocked" my system and that's what needed to happen. Now I'm back on track and the weight should continue to come off.

some very smart people here - i recommend searching for things they've said - banks (shboss), tamtastic, songbyrd. Not saying they are the "only" smart people here, but everything I've read from them has been quite well informed and researched.
  • justice7ca
    Options
    I do have a ways to go, my BMI is at 37, which is way above the healthy line. I wanted to start out with an attainable goal of 45 lbs, which I feel isn't a really hard number to imagine like 70 or 80 might be (although certainly possible, grats to all who have!)

I moved closer to work, so that I could walk to work. I walk 10 minutes to work, 10 minutes home from lunch, 10 minutes back to work and 10 minutes home after work. (40 minutes in 10 min intervals). I take the stairs instead of the elevator.

I've had a major pop/caffiene addiction for some time, and managed to switch it off to diet drinks and i'm down to 1-2 every couple days. Is diet pepsi etc considered really unhealthy? It has 0 calories but contains sodium. I know there are posts by several 'naturalists' i've seen on here, but isn't 0 cal 0 cal? (as long as you count the sodium intake on the can?)

I dont think i eat terribly either; i've done what I can to eat healthy (chicken breast, veggies, water) but i often find that i'm very terrible at skipping breakfast.

A few things I plan on doing with my first couple days
    -Go for a walk after work
    -Go to bed at a decent hour to get enough sleep
    -Get up earlier to allow time for a good breakfast
    -Drink water all day long
    -Watch my calorie intake on meals and snacks

Question: How much of my calorie intake should breakfast, lunch and dinner be?
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    your calories for each meal will depend on your daliy #'s . I like to eat 3 small meals with small snacks every 3hrs if needed.
    I watch my sodium
    and I gave up soda, all soda, there is no nutritional value to it. I may have one if I go out but that is maybe once a month or so. I was a 6pack a day regular coke drinker for 20 yrs. and 4yrs ago, I just gave it up. as I get older it seems I'm giving up more and more of the things I loved, all in the name of good health, so it was worth it. I want to see my kids grow up and I want to grow old with my hubby. so soda, unhealthy foods, smoking, sitting around watching TV, are all things either gone or done in moderation" not the smoking of course, that is gone".:wink:
    but good luck, it's not easy and we all faulter at times, but just pick yourself up and dust yourself off and move ahead. you can do it.!!!!:smile:
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I've had a major pop/caffiene addiction for some time, and managed to switch it off to diet drinks and i'm down to 1-2 every couple days. Is diet pepsi etc considered really unhealthy? It has 0 calories but contains sodium. I know there are posts by several 'naturalists' i've seen on here, but isn't 0 cal 0 cal? (as long as you count the sodium intake on the can?)

The caffeine is bad for you and it does increase your appetite, can trick your body into producing too much insulin... but I don't think 1/day is bad. But then, that's because I drink 1/day. :wink:

Other people drink coffee, thinking that it's "better" for them.. it's really not!
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    Replace Simple carbs with complex carbs as much as possible. So if you want a sandwich, make it whole wheat, pasta - whole grain...sweet potatoes are better than regular as long as you don't add sugar and stuff. These are just a few suggestions to help get you on your way.

You can find an acceptable substitute for almost everything you eat, without sacrifices much taste or quantity.