Not new herebut new at quitting smoking! :0)

Options
Hi i,m Vikki.
I,ve been on this site a while now and still battling with my weight lose although at least i,m on the right road! :0)
I didn,t feel like this was a bigger enough challenge HA HA , so I,ve decided to give up smoking also.
So far its been 2 days ,4 hours and 52 minutes lol!
I am finding it hard work as i seem to be getting all the side effects from quitting to mouth ulcers, frustration etc the list goes on!!

I would really welcome new friends who may be perhaps also quitting or ones that have done and i would love tips etc to help me stay on track and not put on weight due to quitting.

:0)

Replies

• galvodka
    galvodka Posts: 102
    Options
    I smoked for 18 years and quit almost 2 years ago. I LOVE not smoking!!! I can't believe I smoked for as long as I did. Quitting was a struggle but you will definitely NOT have any regrets and will feel so much better!!!! Add me as friend if you want tips/support. Good luck!!
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! That IS tough!! You can do it!! :)
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I would stop calling it "quitting" which carries negative connotations. Instead, "give it up" or just "stop".

Keep yourself busy so you're not thinking about smoking. After 7 days the physical withdrawal symptoms should stop.

Be mindful what you say, because your sense of smell may be greatly heightened, which can make normal smells seem offensive. Avoid saying "What is that awful smell?".

Non-smoker for 2.5 years.
  • cslottje
    cslottje Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yay for you for quitting! I recently quit as well, 2 weeks ago, although I had cut back to several a day before then (just had to wait for a break from school to throw the habit for good). I'm sure my symptoms were not nearly as severe as yours so I will not claim to understand exactly what you are going through. My key was running-it helped with the restlessness, irritability, and the cravings. Sugarfree fruit juice was also very helpful! Just think about all the junk clearing out of your lungs! This website was motivational to me:
    http://www.womenshealth.gov/smoking-how-to-quit/tools/what-happens-when-you-quit-smoking.cfm

Good for you!
  • Metsfn4life
    Metsfn4life Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain girl. I smoked from age 18 until age 26. I am now 30 and still get cravings. I don't think they will ever go away. However, the human brain is an amazing piece of machinary. With determination and some will power, it will get easier with time.

I used to carry around lollipops, twizzlers, and celery sticks. If I had a need for that oral fixation, I would reach for a snack or take a quick brisk walk. Just do anything to take your mind off the craving. Pick up the phone and call someone, log on to MFP, play a game on your phone, go to the bathroom and look in the mirrorr....tell yourself you can do this.

Also, just in the beginning, you need to avoid the things that triggered you to want a cigarette. Mine was drinking alcohol and coffee. Again, eventually, this went away.

You know you are doing the right thing for your health. Not to mention, smoking ages you terribly. You don't want to be one of those lady's whose mouth looks like an accordion...all wrinkly from sucking cigarettes.
  • Silverhillbilly
    Options
    32 days today - quitting smoking is an absolute trip! hang on it definitely gets better as time goes on - I added you
  • blakeman187
    Options
    Coming up on my 1 year since quitting...hardest thing I ever did. Can't even count how many times I tried to quit before then.

Smoked from age 15-21
  • marnijojo
    marnijojo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I did not 'quit' smoking....I am just not having one today (or tomorrow, or the next day...). Have not had one now for over a year, come to think of it.
  • Metsfn4life
    Metsfn4life Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I did not 'quit' smoking....I am just not having one today (or tomorrow, or the next day...). Have not had one now for over a year, come to think of it.

^^^Well said...and done!^^ That's the mentality you need for success.
  • debrobinson1205
    Options
    I was a dedicated smoker for 25 years. I quity 14 years ago. It was the smartest thing i hace ever done. I still reward myself by spending my "cigarette" money on myself. I buy clothes, save it for travel, get my nails done or something!
  • debrobinson1205
    Options
    When I quit smoking, I spent a lot of time writing down the benefits I gained as a nonsmoker. I wrote out each one in complete sentence form, for example. As a nonsmoker I don;t stink of cigarettes. Notice the current tense, from the moment you quit you are a nonsmoker. So, you have already gained or started gaining the benefits. I wrote them several times a day in the beginning and then less and less as time passed. It helped me a lot!
  • Suzy_in_DE
    Suzy_in_DE Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I've been smoke-free for 15+ years and still look at as the best gift I could have ever given myself. I won't lie, it was one of the hardest things I ever did, I was a 2.5 pack a day. Back then the only aid available was Nicorette, but it did help to provide me with the assistance I needed to quit. Good luck to you. Please feel to friend me if you like.
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    I smoked from the time I was 17 until I quit at 35. It will be one year in January. It was the hardest thing I have ever done. I had the same thing with the mouth ulcers and I was pure evil. You will see that the cravings still hit you but less frequently and they dont last as long. I still occasionally see someone smoking and get a craving but you just have to remember that it will pass. I am amazed how much better I feel. My energy level is through the roof. If you told me a year ago I woudl be running 5 miles at a time I would have laughed in their face (and then it would have turned into a coughing fit). Another plus is smelling better. I had no idea how bad the smoke on my clothing stunk until I quit and smell it on other people. Good luck to you!!