Prediabetic and No Motivation to Exercise

Options
I need help I am 27 year old SAHM of two small under age 1 and 2.5 years old. My youngest just turned 1 about two weeks ago and I was recently diagnosed with being Prediabetic and with High Cholesterol. I am overweight at 220lbs, my goal is lose about 80lbs by the end of next year. However, I am really having problems getting motivated to exercise even through we just bought a treadmill. Honestly, part of me just has lost hope and doesn't even seem to care anymore. I need some help and some encouragement.

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to do it for yourself, do it for your wee ones! Then go to the Success Stories board and see the amazing results people have had with MFP. Makes lots of MFP friends, keep coming back to log your food and exercise, chat on these forums for encouragement and inspiration and join challenges that suit you. Before you know it you'll be healthy and motivated!

I wish I had a treadmill at home. Just a walk at a speed fast enough to make you out of breath for half an hour is a great way to start.
  • coachkathrynw
    coachkathrynw Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You need to do it for your kids. I know several people that have over come conditions like yours. I'm going to friend you and tell you more about them.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Why would you lose hope?! So many people here have done it!

I started out weighing way more than you weigh (I was 303.4 on January 1 2011) -- I started eating right, and working out - I couldn't do long workouts at first but I built up -- Now I go to the gym 6-7days a week for 1-2 hours a day minimum -- I have lost just under 100 pounds, and I am currently at 208.6 at last weigh in. Trust me. It can be done.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    If you let yourself get to the diabetic level, believe me, it is NOT fun. Do some exercise - any exercise, walking, dancing with your kids, any movement, cut back on your carb intake. It doesn't take much to make a big difference. Do it now before it gets worse. There are no excuses that are acceptable, they are just excuses.

take a look at my profile if you don't believe me
  • petermcclelland
    Options
    You are blessed with children! Bless them back with the Best, Healthiest Mother you can be. When you look in their eye's and see the pure LOVE, be their for them by being there for you! I am getting the same kick in the pants from my Grand kids. Lucky US!! No one said it would be easy.
  • angjindra
    angjindra Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I will say that it can be VERY hard to get into a routine. This website is very helpful and motivating. Just seeing that so many other people have done it should let you know that you can too! :) I will admit I can be down right lazy and quite the slacker, but after you get motivated and start working out and watching what you eat, you will feel so much better! You will feel better mentally and physically! Stick with it on here and set some goals ~ I personally love it after I work out and see comments from my freinds on here, thats great motivation. Dont give up, you can do this!!!! For your children and you :)
  • SusanRN2b
    SusanRN2b Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Let that be your wake up call. There is a reason why 'di" is in diabetes, (i stole that from my daughter).

Don't beat yourself up for not wanting to exercise. It will come. Losing weight and keeping it off is pretty much 90% diet anyway. I lost a lot of weight, like 40lbs before I began exercising.
  • sweetbigmoma
    Options
    hi i am in the same boat as you are at this time, i wish you the best and only pray this site and the people we meet along the way can build a bridge between your heart and mind, and togather we overcome this urge to eat. take care
  • sweetbigmoma
    Options
    Mary you are a strong motivation for me, just looking at how beautiful you are almost bring tears to my eyes, i dont know how i let myself get so out of shape and made excuses for it, i quit smoking in sept 2011 after 35years, i dont drink alcohol, i would give whatever i can for your help to help me succeed, i dont know what to eat im a black woman, mostly fried chicken, taco,s pintos cornbread you know all the heavy stuff
  • bono
    bono Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time and then one week at a time. You know why you need to do this.

Challenge yourself to doing 10 min of exercise a day and once you finish the ten min decide if you can go on and do a little longer. What you will find is it is easier to keep going than get going...
    Keep track of your minutes of exercise each week and try to do raise it each week.

You can do this! You just need to make the decision and trust the process. It does get easier! Everyone here can attest to that.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I choose to lose weight because at 20 yrs. old my blood pressure was 168/108! That was my wake up call. That's not to say that the minute I found out I was right on board with losing weight. It took me a month to get in the mindset of losing weight and then about 6 months in I gave up for no real good reason and put 20 lbs back on from what I lost. When I took my blood pressure last month and realized it was going back up I knew it was time for a change. I tried everyday to get back into my diet and failed pretty much everyday, finally a couple weeks ago something clicked and I got really serious about it. My advice is to try everyday and one day it will click for you and you will be on your road to being happy, healthy, and be around for years to come for your kids.
  • yohalbah
    Options
    I also am not motivated to exercise! I think the trick is to find others who want to form a group and motivate one another. I live in the 33023 area, so if anyone is interested, please reply to post. Good luck in your quest I'll be sending you some positive motivational vibes.
  • katyejean
    katyejean Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If it helps, find something upbeat and energizing that you find FUN. I am getting the Kinect with all kinds of games to dance with because walking, running and jogging are BOOOOORING
  • katyejean
    Options
    If it helps, find something upbeat and energizing that you find FUN. I am getting the Kinect with all kinds of games to dance with because walking, running and jogging are BOOOOORING
  • katyejean
    Options