Cardio kick boxing...I hate being the fat girl....argh

Ok - so I did my first cardio kick boxing class last night at the gym...and it was great. There were about 9 ladies in there with me...and I was the biggest one by far....probably at least 30lbs heavier than anyone.

So, I can look at this 2 ways:
1. motivation
2. defeat

I'm trying to look at it as my motivator to move forward, but I just felt disgusted when I was in there working out...yes it felt great, but with the mirrors all over, I just went "ewwww".

Maybe it was the mirrors, maybe it was in my head, maybe I just need to forget about it...and keep going, work it all off. I was just humiliated or grossed out that I was so big....blah.

I'm 5'8" and about 200...but it looked a lot worse than that last night. Just wanted to "rant" - thanks!

Replies

• busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    I'm so sorry you felt that way. I don't participate in group workout classes yet, but I think all the mirrors would make most people feel more self-conscious then they normally are. Try and focus on how you felt after you completed the class and try not to worry about being the bigger one in class. :smile:
  • theome
    theome Posts: 101 Member
    I'm looking to join a cardio kickboxing class as well but having trouble with types of gloves, mind if I ask what kind you have?

Also, iv been in many group fitness classes and honestly people don't care how big you are in the class, only if you are friendly and willing to do everything they do. Or at least try. So have fun and get strong!
  • soccer8s
    soccer8s Posts: 238 Member
    I got some Everlast from WalMart - they are fine...my gym has a bunch that folks can use if they don't have their own.

Yeah, I am friendly and I'm sure none of them even noticed or cared...I did though...blah!!! Just made me feel gross for being as big as I am...and yes the mirrors don't help!!!

Back to cardio tonight!!!!
  • cara19812
    cara19812 Posts: 53 Member
    definitely look passed it because the mirrors are there for you to check your form not for u to be looking at your problem areas silly.... it will definitely get better..... trust me
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I almost never look at myself in the mirror. And for the record, I take kickboxing with weight gloves thta I bought on ebay or amazon, I forget which.

Anyway - as far as being "fat" - I know thta the gym is mostly full of thin, fit people. the thing is that it's heatlhy for everyone to exercise. Everyone's heart and muscles need to be exercised. You shouldn't feel bad.
  • Keep in mind that a lot of people in class were probably bigger at one point, too. Use it as motivation. You should feel great that you are there and don't let the reflection in the mirror discourage you, but encourage you. After all, isn't getting healthier, more fit and losing weight the reason you are there? Like anything in life...there will always be someone heavier - or thinner....with more money - or less....a bigger house - or smaller..goes on and on :)
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Girly... I suffered from that same thing. I hated going to the gym because I was a fat behemoth and even the skinny little fabio-guys were putting up a lot more weight than I could do, and I was ashamed.

However... realize that most people are not going to think badly about you out there being active doing something about it. And in fact some will admire you for it and even some will draw inspiration from it.

And in a few months you will find that you are not the fat girl anymore.

Kick boxing is awesome by the way. I have a bag at home and have been doing some mma routines. They do wonders.

Keep it up. Don't give in.
  • I'm the biggest girl at my Zumba class as well and it makes me sad but it also makes me work harder when I'm there!
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    I went to boxercise the other day. I was the fattest there, had no partner and nearly collapsed many times. Oh the shame. Don't care though, I will be right back there in the new year!
  • lambeas
    lambeas Posts: 229 Member
    ***If you keep it up, you can then say " i used to feel like the fat girl, now I am the fit girl with rock hard abs"

Everyone has to start somewhere!!!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Fitness classes, no matter what type, always have such a variety of people at different levels of fitness, different body sizes, shapes etc. There will always be those shallow people to make comments to their friends, but I'm willing to bet most of those people are thinking "good for you", because you're doing something which puts you ahead of the majority of our population who do nothing at all. Don't let your self image ruin a good thing.
  • carriedavis77
    carriedavis77 Posts: 68 Member
    Realize that most people are not going to think badly about you out there being active doing something about it. And in fact some will admire you for it and even some will draw inspiration from it.

So true!! I've FREAKIN LOVE LOVE LOVE KICKBOXING and have been doing classes for months now... I know the feeling you mention about looking in the mirror... that is a real hurdle that we all have to deal with at one point or another. I'm finally at the point when I look at myself that I am damn PROUD of what I am doing. I push myself to sweat BUCKETS and when I do look up and at the mirror I want to see a FIGHTER staring back :) It's mind over matter! I promise! Learn to love that reflection and she will make you proud!! <3
  • soccer8s
    soccer8s Posts: 238 Member
    Thanks everyone!!! I am more motivated...I will go to that damn class each week until I'm healthier...

Zumba is next...I'm there though!!!!

Thanks for the motivation!
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    I feel your pain!

I am the biggest person in the class I attend. I am always the last person when we do a line up and cross the room as part of the routine (jab, cross, jab, kick).... also - when we do the squats and lunges across the room. Bleh.

Hate it - BUT - I noticed today that my resting heart rate is getting lower. I just keep reminding myself that I am doing GOOD things for my health and MOST people in that class are not looking at me thinking 'look at the fat girl' they are thinking 'WOW - she is doing it'! I would wager that many of them are impressed my big *kitten* can keep up through the whole class even if I am the last one across the room!! :laugh:
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Just remember that you are there for yourself and no one else. Keep going and you will quickly become NOT the fat girl. :)
  • Keep up the kickiboxing! It becomes addictive. I have been doing it for 10 months now and can't stand off days.

Go GO GO!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    it IS intimidating, and i remember saying "eww" to myself, but one day, you wont be the biggest one ( or however you put it ) and you will thank yourself..best of luck to you..keep at it :drinker:
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Girly... I suffered from that same thing. I hated going to the gym because I was a fat behemoth and even the skinny little fabio-guys were putting up a lot more weight than I could do, and I was ashamed.

However... realize that most people are not going to think badly about you out there being active doing something about it. And in fact some will admire you for it and even some will draw inspiration from it.

And in a few months you will find that you are not the fat girl anymore.

Kick boxing is awesome by the way. I have a bag at home and have been doing some mma routines. They do wonders.

My thoughts exactly. Most people are just as self-conscious about themselves and aren't looking at you. The point is that you are out there taking steps toward better health. There are a lot of other people out there sitting on the couch, so you are already ahead!
  • CiciPorcayo
    CiciPorcayo Posts: 380 Member
    It is motivation I think! Be sexier then them... thinner then them or atleast better looking! :) And if it really bothers your or makes you uncomfortable Do at home cardio kick boxing (I do) and then when you feel confident enough join GO BACK TO THE GYM AND RE JOIN THE CLASS :)
  • I was the fat one when I started my cardio kickboxing class 5 months ago. I was ashamed at how I did, but I was too ashamed to NOT go back. Paranoia of people saying I couldn't handle it, ect. I have now done it 3 times a week for 5 months. I am one of the fit people in the class now, AND started instructing classes there a couple months ago.

Now that the studio has grown, we have several big girls in kickboxing (which is by far the most difficult class there. It's brutal!) 2 of them over 300 pounds. And they come all the time. And I know from experience that if they stick with it and watch their eating, they will shed that weight. There are many people at the studio that are shrinking! It's an amazing thing to witness and be a part of and I love it!

I can honestly say that kickboxing class is what got me addicted to exercise. Just like most things, you can take it at your own pace. After the first three classes, you'll really start to get better form. Then your endurance starts to build and you start to work harder. The class never gets easy, but that is what makes it such a great class!

Also, when I started I stayed in the back and avoided eye contact with the mirror lol. Now I'm usually in the front, and I like watching myself in the mirror because it helps me improve my form. We also use weighted gloves.