Stevia

Options
Hello MFP Members,

What you guys think of stevia, it is healthy or just another non calorie substance that is unhealthy for our bodies?

Desiree : )

Replies

• MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure yet... need to know more about it before i make a decision. anythign that sounds too good to be true usually is.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I recently switched to Stevia from Splenda after I read an article about all the chemicals used to make the "natural" product. Not sure if Stevia is any better or if it is the flavor of the month...speaking of flavor, I think Stevia has a weird after taste.
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    i know this is second hand info, but stevia gave my friend the sh*ts.
  • Moonblood
    Moonblood Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the taste of Stevia, so disgusting and the aftertaste lingers. BUT it's from a plant, so it's probably not "bad" for you. I'd rather that than aspartame or any other chemical if I had to drink a sugar substitute.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Meaningless anecdote. Name any substance, there is someone who can't tolerate it.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    If you're consuming so much that it makes a difference one way or the other, you need to reconsider your entire diet.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I prefer the real thing @15 calories per serving
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Meaningless anecdote. Name any substance, there is someone who can't tolerate it.

your post just made me vomit
  • DBiggs23
    Options
    I use it only for my coffee, tea and lemon water, about a 2 packs max per day. I just want to make sure it isnt dangerous.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    I can't stand the taste of Stevia, so disgusting and the aftertaste lingers. BUT it's from a plant, so it's probably not "bad" for you. I'd rather that than aspartame or any other chemical if I had to drink a sugar substitute.

I agree
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

It makes you fat
  • peggyj49
    peggyj49 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Stevia is organic and I have been using it about eight years. Stevia is a natural plant and it is not an artificial sweetener. Stevia has been used for hundreds of years and is 300 times sweeter than sugar. It does not effect the sugar or glucose level in our bodies. Its great.
  • Lunalucina
    Options
    It can have an odd aftertaste (reminds me of licorice), and it's easy to use to much. (It's sweeter than sugar, by far!) But, it's my personal go-to if I just want a little bit of something in my tea and have no honey or something on hand.

My understanding is that it hasn't be 'officially tested', which is why it's not really marketed. However, it's been used for a longggg time in various places around the world and there seems to be few negative side-effects.

General rule of thumb is not to consume a lot of the substance in question. Those other cultures used bits here and there, where-as north americans, who seem to have a major sweet-tooth as a society, may use it in a much great volume per person.
    I believe that's why there is concern about its safety...there is really no recorded precedence of major use.

Honestly, though, most of the other no-cal "natural" sweeteners are so far from natural (read: many are altered in a lab!) and loaded with chemicals that just aren't good for a living critter to consume. I'd rather stevia or actual sugar in my system over those things.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options

It makes you fat

O yea I forgot...sugar:devil: and its partner in crime insulin:devil:
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options

Glad to know I am not the only one. I refuse to use artificial sweetners as I am allergic to aspartame (migraines). I eat sugar and honey.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

your post just made me vomit
    See, I told you.
  • buckaroos30
    buckaroos30 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I use stevia but only in the raw brand! if you read the others they have an extra ingredient added that I don't know what it is! I think it's better for your body than any other sweetener on the market.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I have used literally no other sweetener except Stevia for the past six years (everyone I know knows I carry it around with me everywhere), and I've had zero adverse side effects from it.

It is 100% natural and comes from the leaves of a plant (we even grow it in our backyard), and it's been used in Asia, South America, and other places in the world for over 1500 years.
  • wsishere
    Options
    There is a Stevia brand that tastes great called NuStevia. You might give that one a try.
  • ogosun
    ogosun Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have been using Stevia for a long time. I love it. It not an artificial sweetener . No Chemicals in Stevia. Stevia is a herb from South America, and since the leaves from this plant have a sweet flavor that is 30 times sweeter than sugar, so you use less.
    I use nothing else. People watching their weight like the idea of stevia because it's calorie free. It's truly awesome..