Dehydration

Options
Hello! I'm pretty sure I'm always dehydrated (considering I drink maybe 3 cups of water on a good day) and the weird part for me is that even though I'm usually quite thirsty I have no "desire" to drink anything? I've always been like this, I'm assuming this is something to be concerned about? It sure is hard to workout when I'm in this state, does anyone possibly have tips for getting more liquids down for someone who barely sips at water, never mind other fluids? Don't make fun :sad:

Replies

• Lunalucina
    Options
    If you're feeling thirsty, you have "desire" to drink water. That's your body calling for help--even if you don't want to listen.
    I rarely drank water, and I'm still making my way to the recommended amount per day.
    What I found has helped me up fluid intake;

1) Keeping a mini note-book. Kind of like a food journal supplement...I just log/tally what I drink in it.
    2) In the journal, I planned from the time I'd wake up to the time I'd be going to sleep...and write when I had to have 1 glass of 8oz down. I'd keep a water bottle on hand and make myself consciously make an effort to consume the amount for that time of day.
    3) Adding some lemon or lime to the water made me enjoy it more!

Drinking/staying hydrated is a natural thing that all creatures do by instinct. However, if we're the same way, we made NOT drinking water a habit (be it laziness, a lack of liking the taste, whatever), then the habit TO drink water needs to be re-established.

It's the same as changing eating habits and exercise habits--find a way to "just do it".

I'm sure you know all the benefits you're missing out on by not drinking enough fluids.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling thirsty, you have "desire" to drink water. That's your body calling for help--even if you don't want to listen.
    I rarely drank water, and I'm still making my way to the recommended amount per day.

1) Keeping a mini note-book. Kind of like a food journal supplement...I just log/tally what I drink in it.
    2) In the journal, I planned from the time I'd wake up to the time I'd be going to sleep...and write when I had to have 1 glass of 8oz down. I'd keep a water bottle on hand and make myself consciously make an effort to consume the amount for that time of day.

Drinking/staying hydrated is a natural thing that all creatures do by instinct. However, if we're the same way, we made NOT drinking water a habit (be it laziness, a lack of liking the taste, whatever), then the habit TO drink water needs to be re-established.

It's the same as changing eating habits and exercise habits--find a way to "just do it".

I'm sure you know all the benefits you're missing out on by not drinking enough fluids.

It's not the taste that bothers me really, if I drink a lot of water I just feel bloated and ill, I've had weeks where I drink the recommended amount daily and I end up going to the bathroom ridiculous amounts of time, it's irritating. I get the "just keep at it and you're body gets used to it" but does that literally take months? I can't have to use the washroom that many times in a normal day at school :laugh: Being thirsty does not trigger my desire to drink anything.

Thanks for the tips though :flowerforyou:
  • Lunalucina
    Options

It's not the taste that bothers me really, if I drink a lot of water I just feel bloated and ill, I've had weeks where I drink the recommended amount daily and I end up going to the bathroom ridiculous amounts of time, it's irritating. I get the "just keep at it and you're body gets used to it" but does that literally take months? I can't have to use the washroom that many times in a normal day at school :laugh: Being thirsty does not trigger my desire to drink anything.

Thanks for the tips though :flowerforyou:

I can't really say how long it takes to fully adjust (when I was in a good habit of consumption, it took about 5 days to return to a normal bathroom schedule!), but it will eventually! A friend of mine said it did take a month, she was glad she did that over summer as opposed to during the semester. :9

You may also be gulping water, not sipping, if you feel sick. Too much at once will definitely make a person feel like crap. it's awful.

Again, it's a "just do it", thing...gotta find what makes you commit to the healthy gains of being hydrated~