Taking time off...wwyd please?

Options
Ok, so I have been working out for about 11 months now. I have worked myself up to 5 days a week of at least 1 hour f working out. I have done it all at home using the wii, videos, walking outside things like that. On the weekends I dont do anything becuase my husband is home and we do things with the kids and things get busy...plus my body is usally ready for a break by Friday anyways. I have been losing the whole time and have lost a total of about 64 pounds...about half way to my goal. Now for the past month I have been nothing but sick. 2 flu's and now Im getting a cold.

My plan all along was to take the holidays off, from Friday until my husband goes back to work on the 2nd. We will be busy and visiting and all that. I do however plan to stay active with my kids, go sledding if we ever get any snow....walks, things like that. However now that I am sick I really feel like my body needs time to recover and thats why I keep getting sick. I am thinking about taking my vacation starting early...so my body can heal. I am feeling really guilty though and dont know if this is what I should do....or if I should push through it? Maybe just do something light today and tomarrow and see how I feel. Or maybe try to get in a workout or 2 when my husbands on vacation still.

I just really dont want to slip back into old habits and make excuses, but at the same time I also want to listen to my body and give it the rest it needs....if it needs it. I am really looking for some advice, encouragement, suggestions....Anything! Sorry if this post is rambled...it just has really been bugging me and I dont really have anyone around me who can understand. Thanks anyone/everyone in advance!

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need the break.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I would listen to my body. If you do decide to do something, you could make it light yoga (stretching type not power). This always makes me feel better, besides flexibility is a great thing to work on too.
  • TrudyJo195
    Options
    It does sound like you need a break, but I wouldn't make it to long. Everytime I get into a routine and stop for even a day or two it's so easy for me to get out of that habit. Really though you need a rest to get over the cold/virus that you may have. It won't hurt you and as soon as you're up to it get back on it. Good luck!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I would do something light for sure. But I'd also get in a couple of workouts while your husband is home too.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Give yourself the rest your body needs. The fact that you're so antsy about whether you can workout or wait shows how much your mindset has changed. IDK about you, but the OLD me would've been thrilled for such a valid excuse for not working out! The new and improved version of you can't WAIT to be well so you can work out. THAT is a major victory, IMHO.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    After 11 months without a break you'd probably benefit with some rest. I'd go with a complete one, no formal/structured exercise, just "play". :smile:
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i met a very experienced triathlete here in new york city that told me he takes off from thanksgiving to new years day. he says in that time he also puts on about 8lbs. i'm sure it's not all fat, but in those 30+ days, he said he really doesn't exercise, and enjoys himself with the holidays and eats and drinks. its nice to know that even a seasoned athlete takes time off.
  • madameduffay
    madameduffay Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My trainer actually encourages me to take time off every so often. If your body is tired or your coming off an illness, then you probably aren't working at 100%. Take the time to get rested, better, and (most importantly) enjoy time with your family - guilt free.

You've been very sucessful for a long time. You have what it takes to kick things back into high gear come Jan 2nd.

You got this!

Happy Holidays.