Tightening belly (loose skin) after pregnancies...

Options
Love to see some before/after pics. Also any recommended exercise I shall be doing?

Replies

• hippyfairy64
    Options
    Good question! I would like to know also. :)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it has a lot to do with genetics. Also, time helps. But overall body fat loss and muscle preservation is the way to go. You can't spot reduce. None of the expensive creams or lotions work.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I have alot of lose skin and strech marks. I just do my best to lose body fat since almost nobody see me naked
  • ninamm3
    ninamm3 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it has a lot to do with genetics. Also, time helps. But overall body fat loss and muscle preservation is the way to go. You can't spot reduce. None of the expensive creams or lotions work.

This is exactly right...tightening skin --if it will at all....will take time and come through strengthening under muscles, drinking lots of water, and eating right!
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/425666-tummy-after-3-kids

Check out this topic and maybe it might help, this girl on there after having 6 kids looks great...swears by doing (planks?) and other types of weight lifting.
    I think though it has alot to do with each individual and how their body bounces back
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I have given birth to 4 large babies. I am 70 pounds over weight and I'm sure my stomach will look like a train wreck when I get skinny. I have only lost a few pounds and already my middle is getting squishier and more giggly. :huh: I cannot imagin what it will look like in the end. :o(

Beside a tummy tuck, which I will not have, I guess a gurdle will have to do. I've never worn one before. TIme will tewll and I will deal. At least I will look better in clothes..............I hope.:laugh:

Regret or success? Its my choice!
    ~~Lets Roll~~~~
    Deb
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I have given birth to 4 large babies. I am 70 pounds over weight and I'm sure my stomach will look like a train wreck when I get skinny. I have only lost a few pounds and already my middle is getting squishier and more giggly. :huh: I cannot imagin what it will look like in the end. :o(

Beside a tummy tuck, which I will not have, I guess a gurdle will have to do. I've never worn one before. TIme will tewll and I will deal. At least I will look better in clothes..............I hope.:laugh:

Regret or success? Its my choice!
    ~~Lets Roll~~~~
    Deb

I'm almost 60, but after birthing 4 babies (the last two were twins) and being overweight for the last 15 years, I'm surprised my stomach looks as good as it does after losing 40 lbs from my highest (non-pregnant) weight. I've also been lifting weights the last 3 months. If I stand up straight, the belly looks pretty good--just a little excess that would be covered by a bikini (which I'll never wear again), but, if I bend over, the loose skin hangs down in the center (gross image--sorry). When I reach goal, I'd love to have a tummy tuck to tighten it up. I'll have to wait and see if I can afford it.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I've had 3 babies but I credit my stomach basically to luck (there are pictures in my profile). I have no stretch marks and only a little bit of lose skin.
  • pavang82
    pavang82 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 60, but after birthing 4 babies (the last two were twins) and being overweight for the last 15 years, I'm surprised my stomach looks as good as it does after losing 40 lbs from my highest (non-pregnant) weight. I've also been lifting weights the last 3 months. If I stand up straight, the belly looks pretty good--just a little excess that would be covered by a bikini (which I'll never wear again), but, if I bend over, the loose skin hangs down in the center (gross image--sorry). When I reach goal, I'd love to have a tummy tuck to tighten it up. I'll have to wait and see if I can afford it.
    Congrats to you.
  • pavang82
    Options
    I've had 3 babies but I credit my stomach basically to luck (there are pictures in my profile). I have no stretch marks and only a little bit of lose skin.
    You look great and you're so lucky you didn't get stretch marks. Just wandering how much you gained for each pregnancies?
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    There are lots of exercises you can do to strengthen/tighten your stomach muscles, but I don't know that there's much you can do for the skin other than drink lots of water and give it time to see what happens. I've only had 2 kids but my stomach was WAY out there when I was pregnant - you know, people constantly telling me I must be having twins etc, my skin stretched and did not recover very well. Some people have great genes and their skin bounces right back beautifully. Not me. LOL I gained 37 lbs in each pregnancy and lost it all by 6 months each time (although I then started gaining weight back at the 6 month mark due to breastfeeding less and not changing my diet). My stomach is saggy and stretchy and looks particularly hilarious when I hold the muscles in tightly. I don't think my skin is going anywhere anytime soon. I don't think my DNA allows me much of the elasticity that would be needed. But I'm working those abs and shrinking the belly through the exercises and general weightloss, and trying not to worry too much about what my belly skin may or may not do. I have seen some women with amazing before&after pics that give me hope, I even friended 1 in particular b/c of her success and the inspiration it brings, but I don't know that I will get results as amazing as hers. Part of it is your diet, part of it is exercise, and part of it is genetics and time. I don't know if diet and exercise can completely overcome genetics, but I'll give it my best shot. :-)
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    Forgot to add, I've been doing the 30 day shred workout by Jillian Michaels - there are a lot of ab exercises incorporated in and lots of movements from the plank position which really engage those muscles - at the halfway point in the program I'd already lost 2" off my belly at the navel (big problem area so REALLY pleased to see results) - today is my last day of the 30 days and I get to re-measure myself tomorrow to see if I've lost any more from that halfway point. There are a lot of different workouts out there that target abs, I just went with that one b/c it comes highly recommended from people that have done it before plus it incorporates cardio and strength training along with the ab exercises. I'm getting some new at-home workouts for Christmas that I am going to add into my routine so that I can hopefully continue to see positive changes in my body. :-)
  • pavang82
    Options
    Forgot to add, I've been doing the 30 day shred workout by Jillian Michaels - there are a lot of ab exercises incorporated in and lots of movements from the plank position which really engage those muscles - at the halfway point in the program I'd already lost 2" off my belly at the navel (big problem area so REALLY pleased to see results) - today is my last day of the 30 days and I get to re-measure myself tomorrow to see if I've lost any more from that halfway point. There are a lot of different workouts out there that target abs, I just went with that one b/c it comes highly recommended from people that have done it before plus it incorporates cardio and strength training along with the ab exercises. I'm getting some new at-home workouts for Christmas that I am going to add into my routine so that I can hopefully continue to see positive changes in my body. :-)
    I did 30 DS too and lost over 8.6 inches and currently doing Ripped in 30 and I shall complete it this weekend. Took measurements yesterday and lost 4.1 inches..I started at 130 currently at 120, but my goal weight is 115. But my main focus is toning up my belly. My arms and legs are getting tone, but for some reason my stomach doesn't want to get tone. Having my daughter via c-section 6 months ago makes it harder too. I hate the cut but what else can I say cause she was worth it. She's my first daughter, but I had 3 sons all born naturally.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    I did 30 DS too and lost over 8.6 inches and currently doing Ripped in 30 and I shall complete it this weekend. Took measurements yesterday and lost 4.1 inches..I started at 130 currently at 120, but my goal weight is 115. But my main focus is toning up my belly. My arms and legs are getting tone, but for some reason my stomach doesn't want to get tone. Having my daughter via c-section 6 months ago makes it harder too. I hate the cut but what else can I say cause she was worth it. She's my first daughter, but I had 3 sons all born naturally.

Sounds like you've been doing really great! If you just had your last baby 6 months ago that can probably make it a bit harder for awhile - it does take time for the body to heal. I say keep working at it, you're doing a great job. I've seen where some ladies got crazy good results from doing heavy lifting - not just in arms and whatnot, but also in their stomach getting a lot flatter since you use your whole body when you're lifting. I'm not at a point where that's an option for me right now, but I'm seriously considering it when I get a little farther along.
  • Manda_H
    Options
    You can lose some but depending on your heaviest weight ever you might not ever be able to fully lose it. I have a friend who has had 9 and she is looking pretty good but she also never weighed over 175 lbs during any pregnancy. I have had 7 children and my heaviest was 270 lbs. It doesn't matter how many planks I do or sit ups, there will be skin left over. The important thing to remember is at least that skin is just skin.. its not fat. Skin won't shorten your life. Besides, if you are married and your husband loved you even at your heaviest, he shouldn't mind some extra skin now- its still an improvement :)