running

Options
So I have started running since I joined mfp and love it. I am 40 days in.
I run 5km 4-5x a week. the last week my calves have been cramping after my runs, even though i always stretch before my run. And, i find as the day goes on after my run my knees start to hurt more and more. I took a break yesterday, and that did help. What could this be. I really love running and don't want to stop.

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Do you have good running shoes?
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I would agree start with shoes, and cross train to build your hip strength and flexibility. Maybe Yoga?
  • lonelydove04
    Options
    you also need to make sure youre getting enough water before and after your run, as well as replacing the nutrients that you lost. starting with good running shoes is a definite since you need the support and after 3-4 months of co0ntinuous running theyre not so great. and yes stretching is good, but try a small warm up befpre stretching since you should never stretch cold muscles. also stretch afterwards and makes sure to drink water. I like cocunut water actually it helps to replenish a smich quicker. but keep up the good work
  • kelly_gelinas
    kelly_gelinas Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    thanks for the imput. I do have running shoes, but they are a year old, maybe it is time to invest in a new pair. and I do strength train after my runs as well, i looked up strenght training for runners, and got some great workouts. maybe i should spend more time at the end stretching instead of just five min or so.
  • keldawm
    keldawm Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Dehydration? This has happened to me. Shoes are also important.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    agree with the others, get some proper running shoes. You could vary it as well to give your legs a break, strength train and cross train on other days, so say 3 runs a week and then strength train/cycle/ other exercise other days?
  • ChristineNicole81
    Options
    I was having the same problems with my legs, esp shin splints and knee cap pain, when I first started running in May. I went out and bought Asics Gel Kayano 16's after much research. Two weeks later I was still having the same issue. I went to a Fleet Fleet store (which are nationwide) and asked them why my legs were hurting after buying these $139.00 shoes. They analyzed my running and walking with and with out shoes and they told me I have such a high arches my ankles were going in when I walk and worse when I run. I had no clue. I've never had problems before, then again I never ran before that. They fit me for insoles with a high arch and I haven't had any problems since. They did tell me I should stay away from flip flops and heels, but this girl lives in both when not at the gym! Since then I have been able to increase my mileage and speed gradually and I absolutely love running now!!! Also remember when finding a new, good pair of shoes it depends on if you run treadmill or outside, that will matter too. Good luck, I hope it works out!!!
  • anilyze
    Options
    Was having knee pain running with about 40-50lb still left to lose and more often than not lower back pain post-run. Traded my Saucony's for Vibram Bikilas 3 weeks ago and I have zero pain now. I had tried barefoot running in 2006, but I was much heavier then and I just couldn't do it long enough to be worthwhile. I went straight to the Vibrams and felt great. Today, work was empty, so I did a quick barefoot loop around campus to see how it felt barefoot and the running is now SILENT! Silent = very low impact = no injuries and no pain.
  • anilyze
    Options
    Also, see if you can get someone to videotape your running or if you can set it up yourself. You're probably heel striking. BEND YOUR KNEES when you land and take shorter strides. That alone, in any shoe, should be helpful.
  • MrFatLegs
    MrFatLegs Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Like everybody is saying the right shoe helps a a lot, Make sure to find out of you have a high arch, a low arch, or flat footed.. and get the right shoe for your foot. Also for me, stretching after the run is the most important, you can release all the lactic acids that built up. I don't stretch before a run but instead will walk for a couple minutes and start off slow to warm my muscles up.