What about Christmas food?

Options
Hi!
Well, Christmas is nearly here.

I'm polish, and we celebrate it on the 24th. Every dish will be homemade, traditional etc.
I do not want to be counting calories on that day, because that would be very difficult..
I don't want to gain like 5 kgs over Christmas, so I will try not to stuff myself with all the fat food but it will be difficult..

Any advice? Should I drink tons of water before eating so I don't feel like I have to eat too much? :p

How are you, dieting people, going to get through Christmas?

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    It is not possible to gain 5 kg in one day. Enjoy your day and then go back to counting calories.
  • ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to try my best and see what happens. Christmas comes but once a year !
  • Lunalucina
    Options
    I can just imagine feeling ill if I drank too much water! But, having a glass of water should help a bit.

I reach for the healthier options first--at our table, that would most likely be steamed veggies, followed by some form of protein and then mashed potatoes. Small portions at first, with a glass of water. If still hungry after 20 minutes, another portion of a healthy choice.

For desserts, I'll personally pick a couple favorites and have a very small amount of each, with chai tea on the side to curb further cravings.

(Also, what the poster above said--you'd have to be indulging for a while in such a manner to actually gain THAT much!)
  • edyta70
    edyta70 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It is not possible to gain 5 kg in one day. Enjoy your day and then go back to counting calories.

Hehe, I know it's not :) just meant I don't want to gain too much.. Also we tend to celebrate 2 days instead of one..
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it, while exercising self-control.

Be grateful for the bounty and the opportunity to be with loved ones. Many are not blessed with either.
  • edyta70
    Options
    I can just imagine feeling ill if I drank too much water! But, having a glass of water should help a bit.

I reach for the healthier options first--at our table, that would most likely be steamed veggies, followed by some form of protein and then mashed potatoes. Small portions at first, with a glass of water. If still hungry after 20 minutes, another portion of a healthy choice.

For desserts, I'll personally pick a couple favorites and have a very small amount of each, with chai tea on the side to curb further cravings.

(Also, what the poster above said--you'd have to be indulging for a while in such a manner to actually gain THAT much!)
    I will keep that in mind - reaching for the healthier options first :) And yeah, I'm not gonna drink that much really :) Thanksx
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

Hehe, I know it's not :) just meant I don't want to gain too much.. Also we tend to celebrate 2 days instead of one..
    If you stay in your calorie goal the rest of the time, I doubt you will gain anything in 2 days. You may gain a good bit of water weight but it will come right off - so it can be a good idea to avoid the scale for a few days.

Be careful though. I tried eating as much as I wanted for a big holiday meal, and ended up with a pretty bad stomach ache! Just wasn't used to eating that much at one time anymore...
  • rattler0812
    rattler0812 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that you should not feel bad about one "cheating day." Especially if you have been really good about all of the other days leading up to it. Enjoy the holidays as they only come around once a year.

But, if you are concerned, do like what has been mentioned. Go for the healthier snacks that can be lower in calories but still provide that filled feeling that you are looking for leading up to the feast. Lean towards moderation when setting up your first plate of food. When you clean off the plate, wait five minutes. Then contemplate getting seconds if you feel like it. But definitely, as mentioned, don't eat so much that you make yourself sick by the end of the day.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Just eat maintenance calories over the Holidays. That way you get to eat more without gaining, then once holidays are over go back to a caloric deficit to continue losing. This will just cause you to reach your goal a couple days later then if you stayed with your caloric deficit.

To do this just estimate how many cals you think there are in each thing then add 10% as a buffer. Also try to get a workout in, that way you get to eat more anyway. So eating maintenance plus earned exercise cals, you should be able to enjoy your favorites.
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    my advice moderate the things that you make :) This is what I do and when thanksgiving, halloween were there and people gained 5lbs I was gaining nothing, but eat everything :)
    Here is my site where you can see info on how to moderate the meal with pics and recipes:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cooking-ideasHomemade-Healthy-Foods/179121125503371

This is how I eat and it works :) I am not following a diet eating everything in moderation and losing the weight :)
  • I'm not calorie counting over christmas as such but will keep my portions to a reasonable size, and that should help. Once the day is over, back to the diet!
  • geri1955
    geri1955 Posts: 106
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: I am going to eat like a normal person, not over induldge, I probably will have a cookie or two and a few drinks, I will do my exercises earlier that day and continue to do my exercises the day after also!!! I have not been having any problems with staying at my caloric range so far and its almost 130 days on mfp!!! you wanna eat extra you have to exercise more..I workout 2x a day sometimes 3x's....i dont look at this as a diet-i look at it now as a way of life!!! best wishes:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • edyta70
    Options
    You're all really helpful :D

So, I will.....
    -NOT check my weight for like a week :p
    -drink water/tea while eating
    - reach for healthiest options first!
    -eat small portions
    -start my calorie counting straight away after Christmas finishes :D
    -try to make some time for exercise!!

Thanks guys!
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    yes, drink a large glass of water with dinner. Fill your plate with half veggies (hopefully steamed and not covered in butter, oil or cheese) then just enjoy the rest of your plate!
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Walk as much as you can, yes drink water but not excessively, dance with your nieces and nephews, play twister, ride yor bike round to friends. Have fun! It's Christmas, but remember to get back to normal as fast as you can.
  • jenniferhiggins
    jenniferhiggins Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Its one day. Enjoy yourself and the time with your family.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it, while exercising self-control.

Be grateful for the bounty and the opportunity to be with loved ones. Many are not blessed with either.

THIS ^^^^ Nuff said :smile: