Newsflash: Nuts and Beans are Not "High Protein" Foods

Options

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    All I know is that they are good for the heart, good for fiber, and I looooovve them!!!:)

I agree
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    I can eat some peanut butter, nutella, and almond butter with the best of them. They're an excellent source of DIETARY FAT.

Which is another newsflash. Excellence of monounsaturated fats, that I'd beg to differ.

are you saying that monounsaturated fats aren't healthy?
  • CandeesLand
    Options
    I'm simply making a public service announcement, lol
    [/quote]

The more you know!
    http://uscerock.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/TheMoreYouKnow.jpg
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    Thank you for this PUBLIC service announcement. I am sure that as a lot of us here go through our health and fitness journey, we will find what personally works for each and every one of us. So as for vegetarians, and people that want to limit the amount of meat and high fat foods consumed in their diets nuts and beans are a good option. They have a nice amount of protein as well as fiber.

Fiber which helps to lower bad cholesterol levels, which you don't find in say meat. so before you go making such statements you should consider what you as well as other peoples goals are. I for one am trying to lower my cholesterol, so nuts and beans are a good option for me. Just a thought. Thanks:flowerforyou:

I never said they weren't a "good option," or that they don't have other health benefits, or that everyone should be eating meat instead of nuts and beans. I'm simply saying that they should not be given as a recommendation for a food that's "high" in protein.

For what it's worth, I had some pecans for lunch and will be eating beans for dinner, lol.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    All I know is that they are good for the heart, good for fiber, and I looooovve them!!!:)

Me too! Beans and nuts are 2 of my main sources of protein.
  • lessac
    lessac Posts: 105 Member
    Options

No, I'm saying it's wiser to choose polyunsaturated over monounsaturated because monounsaturateds may not necessarily lower LDL or improve HDL and in hypercholesterolemic patients, especially palmitoleic acid may behave like a saturated fatty acid. I say 'may' as I don't remember reading more than a handful of articles and am not aware of a proven fact and even if I was, I would be cynical about it.
  • UponThisRock
    Options

No, I'm saying it's wiser to choose polyunsaturated over monounsaturated because monounsaturateds may not necessarily lower LDL or improve HDL and in hypercholesterolemic patients, especially palmitoleic acid may behave like a saturated fatty acid. I say 'may' as I don't remember reading more than a handful of articles and am not aware of a proven fact and even if I was, I would be cynical about it.

I suppose this could be relevant if my cholesterol numbers were bad, which they're not.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Every time someone asks for an example of high protein foods, people recommend nuts and beans. You're getting around 8g of protein for every 200 cals or so. That's barely more protein than oatmeal.

I know we've all been indoctrinated by the food pyramid, but please, stop the madness.

Im a firm believer that the wretched Food Pyramid is nothing more than a way to convince people to concentrate on the foods stemming from big-corporate farms, hatcheries, meat production companies that have such heavy government backing that bring our local farmers to their knees, losing their dignity.

My Endo (who is from India) never could understand how the American Government can advocate for a 'belief' that clearly does not define the individual person.

About 10 years ago, Ive been hospitalized for damn near having insulin shock because my body wouldnt SHUT OFF the insulin production because I had so many carbohydrates in my system that I could not digest nor dump out of my body fast enough.... The Endo I finally found six months ago diagnosed me with some rare metabolic issues that require elimination of anything in the bread-grains group and the fruit and full-fat dairy sections of the pyramid..

My ticker is looking pretty damn good to me if I do say so myself!~

Pyramid my *kitten*! LOL!
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I am vegan and get my protein from nuts and beans. AND whole grains. I actually do consider oatmeal to be a high protein food.
  • msbobbitx
    msbobbitx Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    That's a good point. As the Chick-fil-A cows say, "Eat mor chickin'!" ';-)
  • rico1923
    Options
    "Every time someone asks for an example of high protein foods, people recommend nuts and beans. You're getting around 8g of protein for every 200 cals or so. That's barely more protein than oatmeal."

I agree with your comment as to nuts (per serving) but not so much for beans-most servings of beans (1/4 cup dry, 2/3-3/4 cup cooked) have about 170 calories and 10-12g protein while a serving of oatmeal (1/2 cup dry, 1 cup cooked) has about 160 calories and 6g of protein- similar calorie numbers with beans having about 65-100% more protein (All info per USDA database/ ARS nutritional database as well as info on the packages of most dry bean/whole oats products). While beans have about 1/3 the protein of a serving of chicken breast (4 oz.) most people here in the US eat more than a day's DV of protein in one meal. I easily get over 90g of protein a day from beans, whole grains and non-fat yogurt/small servings of cheese- without the cholesterol (4 oz. chicken breast= 1/3 DV, 1 jumbo egg= 90% DV).
  • Every time someone asks for an example of high protein foods, people recommend nuts and beans. You're getting around 8g of protein for every 200 cals or so. That's barely more protein than oatmeal.

I know we've all been indoctrinated by the food pyramid, but please, stop the madness.

But for on the go protien they're great! And if you look at all "high protien" foods, they're all relatively high in calories - and you can't exactly stuff a chicken breast in your purse just to get the most protien with as little cals as possible. I think most people understand that nuts are a snack, not a meal, and should be eaten with care.

Nuts and beans are undeniably healthy, natural, and unprocessed. Its still clean eating. Let people eat the way they please, and we'll let you eat the way you please. I don't think its fair to judge the "efficiency" of a food based soley on its calorie content - nuts, beans, and legumes do so much more for the body than just provide protien - I think a little more research on your part is needed.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I agree the food pyramid is messed up - it crafted by lawyers and lobbyists who want their products promoted. .. but that is a different topic.

Beans = Carbs
    Nuts = Fat

Most foods have some carbs, some fat and some protein. If you eat a bucket of broccoli you will consume more protein than a nice sized steak...personally I'll take the steak w/ some broccoli.
  • lessac
    Options
    I suppose this could be relevant if my cholesterol numbers were bad, which they're not.

Happy for you :) Still I would definitely not promote nutella as good dietary fat. Hazelnuts, maybe; not over walnuts.
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    "Every time someone asks for an example of high protein foods, people recommend nuts and beans. You're getting around 8g of protein for every 200 cals or so. That's barely more protein than oatmeal."

I agree with your comment as to nuts (per serving) but not so much for beans-most servings of beans (1/4 cup dry, 2/3-3/4 cup cooked) have about 170 calories and 10-12g protein while a serving of oatmeal (1/2 cup dry, 1 cup cooked) has about 160 calories and 6g of protein- similar calorie numbers with beans having about 65-100% more protein. All info per USDA database/ ARS nutritional database as well as info on the packages of most dry bean/whole oats products.

Fair point, but the big picture is this is still relatively "low" compared to foods that actually are high in protein
  • UponThisRock
    Options

Happy for you :) Still I would definitely not promote nutella as good dietary fat. Hazelnuts, maybe; not over walnuts.

You've clearly never tasted nutella
  • lessac
    Options
    You've clearly never tasted nutella

Quite the opposite :p It's hard to stop before the whole jar is licked clean.
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    Every time someone asks for an example of high protein foods, people recommend nuts and beans. You're getting around 8g of protein for every 200 cals or so. That's barely more protein than oatmeal.

But for on the go protien they're great! And if you look at all "high protien" foods, they're all relatively high in calories - and you can't exactly stuff a chicken breast in your purse just to get the most protien with as little cals as possible. I think most people understand that nuts are a snack, not a meal, and should be eaten with care.

Nuts and beans are undeniably healthy, natural, and unprocessed. Its still clean eating. Let people eat the way they please, and we'll let you eat the way you please. I don't think its fair to judge the "efficiency" of a food based soley on its calorie content - nuts, beans, and legumes do so much more for the body than just provide protien - I think a little more research on your part is needed.

Which specific "high protein" foods are relatively high in calories?

Again, I'm not saying that nuts and beans don't provide other benefits. I eat nuts daily and beans weekly myself.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I know that edamame has more protein than chick peas. But, with that said, I also enjoy lentils. Egg whites are always a +++ in a salad :)
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    That's a good point. As the Chick-fil-A cows say, "Eat mor chickin'!" ';-)

Those cows learned how to write, they must know something