Limiting the Cals, but eating the wrong things!

Options
So I'm limiting my Calories to 1200 until I can really get into a good exercise routine... BUT

I always end up eating bad food and not leaving any Calorie room for the healthy stuff!

I tell myself.. "Oh this Baklava is only 100 Calories, that leaves 1100 Cals left!" but then I do that 11 more times!!

I'll end up eating 1200 Calories worth of bread, sweets, and fats! I'll keep it under 1200, but I know that I feel lethargic and sick because my day has no nutritional content! I live in a house with people who eat junk food and I can't throw out all the bad stuff...

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,976 Member
    Options
    Well, you'll either succeed or you won't. Nobody said it was going to be easy.
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    wow that was so helpful... :P
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Satiety can be caused by many factors. If the bad stuff makes you feel satiated, then it is likely that fat is important for your satiety. Maybe try out some healthy fats like avocado and nut butters to replace the junky fat?

For me, volume (so lots of fruit and veges) and protein seem to do the trick, with fats and complex carbs assisting sometimes.
  • chai_latte
    chai_latte Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I sort of have to agree with neanderthin, then again I believe in tough-love hehehe

It's our mind set, it's whether we have it in us to do it. We can make up tons of excuses - and I get the family thing, believe me I do. I live with 5 other ppl in my house (who are reasonably healthy eaters) BUT love the chips and other salty snacks and have it around the house.

Obviously I don't tell my family to throw it out because of me!! I just make my mind up NOT to grab those junky items (because I have done enough of that in the past...and therefore am on MFP) and opt for fruits, veggies, yogurt, almond/peanut butter instead. Ofcourse if you feel to snack on something junky - go for it, but only occasionally and in small amounts.

Self control is key. :)

Good luck.
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Satiety can be caused by many factors. If the bad stuff makes you feel satiated, then it is likely that fat is important for your satiety. Maybe try out some healthy fats like avocado and nut butters to replace the junky fat?

For me, volume (so lots of fruit and veges) and protein seem to do the trick, with fats and complex carbs assisting sometimes.

thank you so much. last night i ate an avocado and i felt like i had just polished off a full meal. I will try that.

I noticed that the "volume" factor isnt really my issue. I have a hard time finishing everything on my plate or a whole water bottle... but what you say makes sense. I'll try to have some more healthy options around