iron intake

Options
Just for the heck of it, I started been tracking my iron on MFP. I am finding I am getting about 1/2 - 3/4 of what I should be taking in. I eat 6 times a day. My macros are 45% carbs, 20% fats, and 35% proteins. I don't hit them exactly every day, but I come pretty close. I just hit 40 (ugh) and am taking a good luck at overall nutrition...

If you were to recommend a supplement, is there a particular brand, or is iron pretty much iron?

Replies

• it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that iron is not included in the nutritional information for most foods on MFP, so by tracking iron on MFP you are most likely greatly underestimating your iron intake.

Iron supplementation should be done with care, as too much iron can be poisonous. If you can, go to your doctor and have a blood test, or at the very least work out the iron in everything you eat in a day (not through MFP) before you consider commencing iron supplementation.
  • atsimon
    Options
    Thanks...when looking at the foods in my diary, all list iron in terms of %age of USRDA...I would love to find the amount of mg listed per serving on nutritional labels, but that is not what it is included:-(