shall I give up already

Options
I need to increase protein so got some protein shake to try and started today but have had bloating and tummy ache since! I dont know whether I should carry on tomorrow or give it up!

help is this normal?

Replies

• PennyS44
    PennyS44 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Are you lactose intolerant? That would cause those symptoms. Otherwise eat some cheese or a hard boiled egg to get more protein. Don't give up on the plan - it really works!!
  • lynnonamission
    Options
    Consider other protein alternatives like legumes, green beans, eggs, cereal, regular beans, grains, nuts and seeds. It could be that an ingredient in the protein shakes or drinks may have an adverse effect to your system. I use the GNC vanilla and vanilla bean shakes and I add natural creamy peanut butter for added protein. It's delish and it was easy on my system. Whatever you do, DON'T GIVE UP!!!
  • sexymewannabe
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant, so today went out to buy a protein shake that is lactose free and have had 2 shakes as per the instructions, with soya milk!

my protein is usually very low, purely as I am not a huge fan of meat and fish etc so just eat a little of these!

I know that the plan works, so will not give up the plan but I mean the shakes - I dont know whether to persevere or leave them
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    maybe cut down how much u drink of it, like make half a shake until your body gets used to it?
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Real food is better. It's real.
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I can't do the protein shakes either. They make me burp like crazy! It's annoying & uncomfortable after a while.
  • jmvh59
    jmvh59 Posts: 97
    Options
    I'm not such a fan of foods I can't even pretend came from a natural source... Vitamins are an exception for me. If I were you, I woul'd get my protein from some other source besides the protein shakes: eggs, beans, nuts... I'm kind of at a loss to name other non-meat, non-dairy sources. I'm a big fan of cheese, greek yogurt, nonfat milk, and used to be living things.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I egg cooked egg whites to get more protein. I have whey shakes after weights sessions but other that I get my protein from food. Red kidney beans have a fair bit. Chicken breast is a common source.
  • kvreeken
    kvreeken Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Your better off eating natures food.
    Eggs
    Chicken
    Turkey
    Fish
    Shellfish
    Lowfat cheese
    Edamame
    Nuts (in moderation)
    Legumes
    Avacado (in moderation)
    Pork Tenderloin
    Lean Red Meat - Filet Mignon (pricey but worth it)
    Plain Yogurt
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I used to live off of protein shakes but now I only eat real food for protein. My favorite thing to do is by pork, turkey or chicken depending on what is on sale and cook it up and use it for snacks and meals. I also like to start my day off with egg whites (nothing against eggs, the yolks upset my stomach), turkey bacon and a slice of cheese on an english muffin. Beans are also a favorite of mine.
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options
    I think that whenever you are trying to introduce something new to your body, you need to start slowly at first. Going from no shake to two in a day would be a big change.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I find the whey isolates easier to digest, and mix them with either soy or almond milk. It's great to get your protein from food, but when you need 150 g per day, it's hard to do and still stay under your calories.
  • ghiagirl893
    ghiagirl893 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm also lactose intollerant, and even lactose free ones are iffy. I suggest trying nuts and smaller portions of the shakes if you want to keep using those. Beware of using too much - one of my coworkers uses a lot of shakes and he smells just terrible. The whey protien makes the funky smell even more likely.
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It is recommended if you have the time to eat food with protein in it rather then a shake (I also do a shake before I work out, but eat other sources of protein later in the day.)
    Whole grains are a great source of protein, but the queen of whole grains when it comes to protein content is quinoa. Unlike many sources of vegetarian protein, quinoa contains all of the essential amino acids, making it a "complete protein". Just one cup of cooked quinoa contains 18 grams of protein, as well as nine grams of fiber. Other whole grains, including whole grain bread, brown rice, barley are all healthy protein-rich foods for vegetarians and vegans as well.
    Protein content: One cup of cooked quinoa provides about 18 grams of protein.
    http://vegetarian.about.com/od/healthnutrition/tp/protein.htm

What kind of protein shake are you drinking? It shouldn't cause bloating and a sick feeling unless there is something in it that you are allergic to.....
  • DavePhillip
    DavePhillip Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The best way to increase protein is to use Quinoa seeds, they are lush. If you can soak them overnight, they are easier to digest for you body. Adding a pich of salt to the soaking water increases the action of enzymes in the seeds, and deactivates enzyme inhibitors like Phytic Acid, thus you get more healthy minerals and vitimins too.

Almond flour is super stuf if your not nut alergic, and its gluten free too.

:smile: and they taste better than those awful power shakes - my old dad had cancer, and I tried a sip of a few flavours, yuck
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    Never give up !

Swap it, don't stop it !
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I did that - used half the protein to start and rice mik. I am up to full measure now but still use rice milk and lost 5 lb in the first 10 days :)