Diabetics...please help!

Hi, I am 25years old and have had diabetes for 14 years now. I am on an insulin pump and am having a lot of trouble keeping my blood sugars in range when working out. I always eat before a workout yet find that my blood sugars drop extremely fast while working out and I often end up correcting a low. This is frustrating because it is extra calories that I need to account for when I have already had a snack beforehand.
I find that sometimes my blood sugar will drop really quickly and I will finish a workout with a BG in target, only to have it spike right after the workout.
My doctor says its all trial and error but I am getting frustrated because at this point I am not really sure where to even begin.
I am getting married in 4 months and I would really like to lose about 20 lbs (or close to) to get back to my pre-baby weight so any tips would be great.
I would really like to know what people typically set their pump at when they workout or beforehand, and what they eat before or during to keep a level BG before, during and after a workout.
I have been so frustrated that I have essentially given up working out in favour of good BG numbers but I know that this isnt a healthy answer either!
thanks in advance...

Replies

• Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Hi, I am 25years old and have had diabetes for 14 years now. I am on an insulin pump and am having a lot of trouble keeping my blood sugars in range when working out. I always eat before a workout yet find that my blood sugars drop extremely fast while working out and I often end up correcting a low. This is frustrating because it is extra calories that I need to account for when I have already had a snack beforehand.
    I find that sometimes my blood sugar will drop really quickly and I will finish a workout with a BG in target, only to have it spike right after the workout.
    My doctor says its all trial and error but I am getting frustrated because at this point I am not really sure where to even begin.
    I am getting married in 4 months and I would really like to lose about 20 lbs (or close to) to get back to my pre-baby weight so any tips would be great.
    I would really like to know what people typically set their pump at when they workout or beforehand, and what they eat before or during to keep a level BG before, during and after a workout.
    I have been so frustrated that I have essentially given up working out in favour of good BG numbers but I know that this isnt a healthy answer either!
    thanks in advance...

So glad to see you reaching out and asking for help!! Reminds me of myself.

What kind of snack do you eat before working out? After working out? Also, what are you drinking?
    And I would love to know is your doctor an Endocrinologist who specializes in diabetes or does he or she work closely with one? Are you happy with the doctor or is that relationship part of your frustration?
  • I usually eat like a banana with some milk maybe, I try to stick to no more than 30 carbs. Sometimes I will just eat dinner beforehand and not bolus for the full meal.
    My endocronologist isn't very talkative, my appointments are usually over an hr waiting to get in and then a 10 minute appointment. He is the only one in town so we dont get too much time to chat. I deal with a diabetes team who are supportive I just feel like I need some pointers from people who deal with this personally.
  • metisgirl
    metisgirl Posts: 86 Member
    I was an instructor at Curves and my blood sugars kept going higher and higher with workouts....Now with the Insulin I also get the drops....The endocrinologist said it will take time to adjust insulin levels to an almost ideal set point....Do remember that water in excess tends to lower blood sugar so be sure to monitor closely.....My doctor also pushes the proteins more and tells me to eat a good balanced meal with approx. 40 carbs per meal (low glycemic foods) before i start exercising...Unfortunately at the beginning I had so many lows that i had to keep eating and whether it is healthy food or not it is still calories.....My body was so sick from the diabetes that i lost weight and then as soon I started the insulins weight came on very rapidly....I lost 200 lbs and do not want to gain it back.....I hear ya girl and if you get too many drops you will have to talk to your diabetes educator and they may need to adjust your pump....If you wish to add me to your friends list, please feel free to do so. Thx
  • Debbe2
    I usually eat like a banana with some milk maybe, I try to stick to no more than 30 carbs. Sometimes I will just eat dinner beforehand and not bolus for the full meal.
    My endocronologist isn't very talkative, my appointments are usually over an hr waiting to get in and then a 10 minute appointment. He is the only one in town so we dont get too much time to chat. I deal with a diabetes team who are supportive I just feel like I need some pointers from people who deal with this personally.

Personally I do best with protein before a workout. I can have a banana when I will not be doing anything to change my metabolism and truthfully I do best with only half a banana at a time. Apples seem to be better and berries best of all fruit wise but I prefer not to eat any fruit right before I work out. I keep to low carbs and low sugars before I exercise, but that's me and it took trial and error. I can down a protein shake, protein bar (Pure Protein Bars are lowest I've found) or even cottage cheese or an egg and go workout for a couple of hours. I don't worry about my numbers when working out cause they have become stabilized as long as I stay with the things I find work for me. Never getting that dizzy, out of it or that foggy/cloudy feeling.

Reason I asked about the doctor is because I did have to find the right office and people to help me. I looked and asked until I found a physician's office aligned with my health goals. Until then... frustration and never stabilized. Glad that you have a team that's working WITH YOU! So much of the care is by the patient and it is a team in every sense of the word.

Regarding beverages; this> water, protein drinks with very low sugar, did I mention water? This will keep your numbers stable too. I did have to cut back on coconut water but that small change made a big difference.
  • I'm glad you found what worked for you. I hope to be there soon. I am allergic to apples so that won't do. But protein is a good tip, I will have to mix with carbs because my BG drops so quickly with exersize. Thanks, I wasn't sure if I wanted to post anything but I am glad I did. It is nice to have people out there if only to chat with here and there!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    How much time is it between your snack and your workout? Do you check your blood sugar before you workout and if so, what's your reading? Exercise lowers your blood sugar, if the number is low to begin with, it will be lower when you finish working out. For example, if your blood sugar is 100 before you workout, it could drop below 70, which is a low number.
  • jamja
    jamja Posts: 190
    Consider drinking Gatorade, or a watered down version, while your working out. First off it might help keep you hydrated and keep your numbers in line hopefully avoiding a correction afterwards.
  • Debbe2
    How much time is it between your snack and your workout? Do you check your blood sugar before you workout and if so, what's your reading? Exercise lowers your blood sugar, if the number is low to begin with, it will be lower when you finish working out. For example, if your blood sugar is 100 before you workout, it could drop below 70, which is a low number.

Ideally you want to stabilize your blood glucose readings. Raising it with foods which elevates it doesn't achieve optimum goals of stabilization. That's a very good idea if it's a dangerously low reading and you need to raise it quickly. Under 70 is low enough and you want to take action to raise it immediately. Every diabetic wants to have predictable and consistent blood glucose levels if they are on top of what their body is doing.

One other thing regarding the Gatorade suggestion..... No! Don't drink it! Causes spikes which is not the goal- stabilized readings are the goal but again, if its dangerously low (below 70) then drink 5 to 6 ounces.
  • Thanks I think this might be helpful for me. My BG drops pretty quickly so it might really help to have something to sip on to keep it up while I workout!
  • pcharby1
    pcharby1 Posts: 1 Member
    I've been having the same issues recently with a lot of lows. I've tweaked my basal settings and actually reduced my I:C ratio from 12:1 to 13:1. It's going better, but something that helps prevent a low after workouts is doing a temp basal change of about -30% to -50% of your normal for the 30 mins prior to the work out, through to the end of your workout.

I've been doing this since I've had my pump for when I play sports. That, or give yourself a half dose for the period of time you'll be working out and take the pump off. My normal basal is .8/hr, so if my game is 60 mins, then about 5 mins before the game, I'll give myself .4 units, then take the pump off and leave in my bag. I plug back in right after the game, and it generally works well.

I'm actually going to see the pump clinic dietitian tomorrow to get some confirmation on how to adjust my correction factor and make sure these changes are the right thing to do.

I'll keep you posted as to what she says.