Probiotics

Options
Anna_Banana
Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
The following is from mayoclinic.com, I was curious if there is anybody out there that takes supplements with these in them and if they feel they've helped.

Question
Probiotics: What are they?What exactly are probiotics? What health benefits do they offer?
Answer
from Michael Picco, M.D.
Your body contains billions of bacteria and other microorganisms. The term "probiotics" refers to dietary supplements or foods that contain beneficial, or "good," bacteria that are similar to those normally found in your body. Although you don't need probiotics to be healthy, these microorganisms may provide some of the same health benefits that the bacteria already existing in your body do — such as assisting with digestion and helping protect against harmful bacteria.

In addition to supplements, probiotics can be found in such foods as yogurt, fermented and unfermented milk, miso, and some juices and soy drinks. Dannon's Activia yogurt, for instance, is an example of a probiotic food.

There is a growing public and scientific interest in probiotics. Researchers are studying whether probiotics taken as foods or supplements can help treat or prevent illness. There is encouraging evidence that probiotics may help:

Treat diarrhea, especially following treatment with certain antibiotics
Prevent and treat vaginal yeast infections and urinary tract infections
Treat irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
Reduce bladder cancer recurrence
Shorten the duration of intestinal infections
Prevent and treat inflammation following colon surgery (pouchitis)
Prevent eczema in children
Some researchers believe probiotics may improve general health. A small 2005 study in Sweden, for instance, found that a group of employees who were given the probiotic Lactobacillus reuteri missed less work due to respiratory or gastrointestinal illness than did employees who were not given the probiotic.

More research is needed to confirm the effectiveness of probiotics. As with any dietary or herbal supplement, consult your doctor before starting any new treatment.

Replies

• Anna_Banana
    Options
    The following is from mayoclinic.com, I was curious if there is anybody out there that takes supplements with these in them and if they feel they've helped.

Question
    Probiotics: What are they?What exactly are probiotics? What health benefits do they offer?
    Answer
    from Michael Picco, M.D.
    Your body contains billions of bacteria and other microorganisms. The term "probiotics" refers to dietary supplements or foods that contain beneficial, or "good," bacteria that are similar to those normally found in your body. Although you don't need probiotics to be healthy, these microorganisms may provide some of the same health benefits that the bacteria already existing in your body do — such as assisting with digestion and helping protect against harmful bacteria.

In addition to supplements, probiotics can be found in such foods as yogurt, fermented and unfermented milk, miso, and some juices and soy drinks. Dannon's Activia yogurt, for instance, is an example of a probiotic food.

There is a growing public and scientific interest in probiotics. Researchers are studying whether probiotics taken as foods or supplements can help treat or prevent illness. There is encouraging evidence that probiotics may help:

Treat diarrhea, especially following treatment with certain antibiotics
    Prevent and treat vaginal yeast infections and urinary tract infections
    Treat irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
    Reduce bladder cancer recurrence
    Shorten the duration of intestinal infections
    Prevent and treat inflammation following colon surgery (pouchitis)
    Prevent eczema in children
    Some researchers believe probiotics may improve general health. A small 2005 study in Sweden, for instance, found that a group of employees who were given the probiotic Lactobacillus reuteri missed less work due to respiratory or gastrointestinal illness than did employees who were not given the probiotic.

More research is needed to confirm the effectiveness of probiotics. As with any dietary or herbal supplement, consult your doctor before starting any new treatment.
  • cloverluv
    cloverluv Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I take probiotics daily. Mostly because they keep me regular. I am lactose intolerant so I am unable to have yogurt or even milk. I would be curious to hear if they help those who don't have problems with lactose but take them as an 'extra.'
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I hope no one gets offended but
    'pouchitis' made me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .

I have pouchitis. I called it my dunlap belly. :tongue:

I have just started eating Activia yogurt with that probiotic stuff. Tastes the same, so I thought I'd give it a go. I don't have many digestive problems to begin with, so I don't think I'll see a huge difference, unless it helps my ulcer for some reason.
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    I started taking the yakult about a week ago, I feel no difference. I don't think I will be continuing to spend the money on it. I was hopeing it would help the constipation, but saddly no..... I have 4 more containers left and I will take them , but I won't be buying any more. :noway:
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    I started taking the yakult about a week ago, I feel no difference. I don't think I will be continuing to spend the money on it. I was hopeing it would help the constipation, but saddly no..... I have 4 more containers left and I will take them , but I won't be buying any more. :noway:

I've been taking Magnesium and it's helped with constipation.
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options

just as a pill suppliment, or magnesium rich foods? and if it is foods, what ones. I already eat broc/califlower/spinach/ many fruits.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I take probiotics every day. I used to get heartburn regularly and it helped. Now I am eating properly, just never stopped taking them.
  • Anna_Banana
    Options

just as a pill suppliment, or magnesium rich foods? and if it is foods, what ones. I already eat broc/califlower/spinach/ many fruits.

I take a suppliment 250 mg/day. I also eat lots of mag rich foods, but the suppliment has made a difference.