holiday eating help me plzz

Options
how can i resist the holiday foods and not over eat!!!???

Replies

• Jomalone2
    Jomalone2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with that too. I purposely took off a few days from work so that I can squeeze in some more exercise to offset the eating. I'm ready for the holidays to be over (I know, wrong attitude) just so the food temptations will go away.
  • alapoint89
    Options
    I am struggling with that too. I purposely took off a few days from work so that I can squeeze in some more exercise to offset the eating. I'm ready for the holidays to be over (I know, wrong attitude) just so the food temptations will go away.
    oh god bless ur heart lol
  • feffie07
    Options
    I need help to! It is so hard.....You feel like you almost can have it as a treat or reward, but then I feel the guilt come on......What to do???
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I think this must be on the minds of all MFPers now!!!xx
  • sweetcheeks27
    sweetcheeks27 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    So far I have been working off everything I eat. NO MATTER WHAT after spending an hour on the treadmill the other day I realized that that extra cookie just wasn't worth it. That has been helping for me. Also, at parties and such I keep gum in my mouth just to keep from mindless munching.
  • alapoint89
    Options
    I need help to! It is so hard.....You feel like you almost can have it as a treat or reward, but then I feel the guilt come on......What to do???
    ik im doing the 30 day shred that morning well maybe drink tons of water lol
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    wide variety of opinions on this. I'm all for going a little over what i would normally do and try to kill it at the gym. At the end of the day, i'm not going to stress over being over my goal for the day. Holidays are time to enjoy with family and friends and if i go over a little, it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things
  • alapoint89
    Options
    wide variety of opinions on this. I'm all for going a little over what i would normally do and try to kill it at the gym. At the end of the day, i'm not going to stress over being over my goal for the day. Holidays are time to enjoy with family and friends and if i go over a little, it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things
    i really need not eat to much
  • irishseven
    irishseven Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I eat xtra stuff..just not the super-fat stuff..nuts, raisins sliced apples w/lots of spice...fun w/out the calories..candy canes too...and when you really want the big special cupcake...squeeze into your calorie-count..merry..merry!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    how can i resist the holiday foods and not over eat!!!???

drink lots of water and just don't eat them. carry a fat picture in your pocket/phone or w/e if you have too.
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    By moderating them :) This is how I do.
    Check out my cooking site:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cooking-ideasHomemade-Healthy-Foods/179121125503371
  • kioga86
    kioga86 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It's the holidays, all your friends and family are around, and many of them are not at all interested in your attempts at making yourself better. So, what do you do? Well, here's the options as I see them.

1) Bring your own food, and stick with your diet. If you have the willpower for this, all the more power to you. This is definitely the best option. All of the fun of hanging out with your family and friends, while still staying on your diet. Ridiculously hard, and could offend people who bring foods you don't eat.

2) Have small portions of your favorite holiday foods, and eat responsibly the rest of the day. This is probably going to be the option that most people will end up going with. If you LOVE peanut butter balls, have one! Just don't mow down thirty of them. Have one for the flavor, eat it slow, and fill up on healthier foods. Hit the raw vegetable tray, or the salad bowl. Don't deny yourself your favorite foods, just don't gorge on them either. This works really well in conjunction with some extra exercise, even if you just simply take a walk with your family around the neighborhood, or go outside and have a snowball fight.

3) Play the "f*** it card." The most tempting and easiest to do of the options. Just deal with the calorie overload another day. It can be done, but will no doubt set you back the most.
  • alapoint89
    Options
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cooking-ideasHomemade-Healthy-Foods/179121125503371
    im not cooking but inlaws are
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options

Same here
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    this is how i handle it. I can have what i want but only ONE serving!! and if i go over my calorie goal i have to exercise it down! help me control the temptaion not the temptaion controling me!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    This is a lifestyle change. Learning to accept that there will be days when you'll want to thoroughly enjoy food and not over analyze what you're eating is part of the journey.

I used to freak out at the mere thought of a birthday or holiday. The food. The desserts. Not everyone eats the way I do and boy did it freak me out. I learned to set aside the panic, take small servings of the foods I love the most and most of all? Enjoy the day. Holidays are days to enjoy life, celebrate family and not worry and fret yourself into a panic attack.

So. Look over the food at the get togethers, evaluate what there is, decide what you REALLY want to eat, get small portions of it and enjoy. If you go over your calories, it is only ONE DAY out of the year. No worries. No guilt. Nothing. Enjoy it.

Remember to drink water - your body will likely retain some water from consuming foods it isn't used to having. And remember... it takes 3500 calories over your maintenance (not your deficit calories, but maintenance) calories to gain a true pound.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Just be diligent and log everything. Once you see how many calories some of these things have it's enough to shock you into being good lol.

For example every year I make german chocolate cake, caramel, chocolate chip layered brownies. I put in the recipe on here and found that each 1inch brownie has 275 calories! I still made them, but instead of having 3 or 4 a day, I had one and split the rest up between family and work :drinker:

I don't keep any tempting junk food in my house, and that way my only temptations will be actually on Christmas, and I plan on going to Christmas dinner already full.
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    It doesn't take much 15-20 min and recipes are really easy :P You might change your mind lol
    im not cooking but inlaws are
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    This is what I do. Drink a full glass of water or two before sitting down for the meal. Half hour should be good. I take a little bit of everything(that I like, which isn't everything). Eat slowly, talk with ones around the table, will help make you eat slower. When my plate is finished, I'm usually full. Dessert is the worse. Don't take one of everything, out of the ones you like the most have a sample, not a big piece or large slice. Always keep chit chatting, will help keep your mind off your all those delicious sweets.

:smile:

Happy Holidays.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    3) Play the "f*** it card." The most tempting and easiest to do of the options. Just deal with the calorie overload another day. It can be done, but will no doubt set you back the most.
    No, it really won't set you back at all. How many calories do you think a person can eat in one day? 10,000? Come on. If you eat normally every other day then one day is not going to do any harm at all. You all need to relax.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!