No sunshine = Lack of Motivation?

Options
2»

Replies

• CharmCityBella
    CharmCityBella Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Although I do have the privilege of having to drive past my gym to get to my house, so I make myself stop and workout before I even go home, I also won't allow myself to sit down when I get home until everything I need to do is completed. I have a dog that should be walked everyday, so I know that I can't sit down until we go for a walk, and when I get back, I get right to work on what's next. It's not usually until after dinner has been made that I get to sit down. Sounds horrible, but it's the only thing that keeps me motivated because once I sit down, I am down for the count.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    If you get a S.A.D. lamp, you need to make sure it is powerful enough. There are some cheap ones on the market but they are not bright enough to make much difference. I have one of the approved ones and it really helped me. A lot of people say it is a load of rubbish but I also know it has helped a lot of people and there are clinical studies that show it really does have an effect on the melatonin levels. If you decide that you need one (if your SAD is moderate to severe) then check out this website for the list of approved devices. If you are in the UK you should be able to buy your light box without paying VAT if you have a diagnosed medical condition for which it is appropriate, as it is a recognised medical device.

http://www.sad.org.uk/recommended.php

If you have have mild to moderate SAD or you're just struggling a little with this time of year, then exercise can really help. Out in the fresh air is best but that's not always possible, especially this time of year. Exercise and eating healthily are really great ways to help with this. If it is more severe you may need to see your doctor as well.

I hope you get your mojo back soon :flowerforyou:

If you don't want to splash out on a light box right away there are places that you can hire them from by the month. If you decide to buy, Amazon quite often have good prices.
  • Spearo
    Spearo Posts: 47
    Options
    We evolved with the sun. A bit of sun is good. Lack of sun is bad. Winter is a time where as a primal being we would go and sleep in a cave and save our energy for the little daylight available to hunt. So naturally we don't take well to 16 hour days in December and January.
    Use your own discretion balanced with logic and research with tanning booths. Moderation, as in most things, is the key. Don't take advice from me or anyone, other than always looking at both sides of the argument.

There is some VERY good empirical research that shows 10,000IU of D3/day is what most people ned to maintain a reasonable level. The people doing the research all take that volume. D3 doesn't even begin to look toxic until 40,000/day over time.

My personal experience is that SAD was wiped out within a week using Vit D 4000/day and I added 10 minutes in a good booth every week or two because it feels great. I started that 4 years ago and now do 4000/day in the summer and 10,000/day in the Winter. I never get sick. I train too hard at times and beat down my immune system but it doesn't matter; I never get sick.
    I wake up at 05:00 feeling great, I run and I go to bed at 9PM. And chocolate/some other garbage remains my guilty pleasure, which doesn't help!

Again look at all the options.

Best wishes,
    E.
  • Jljones2787
    Options
    I am so glad I ran across this thread. I am prone to depression, but it's always really bad in the winter. On top of being gray and dreary, it's raining today. :( Makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one. I'm going to start taking Vitamin D tonight, tho. Maybe it'll help. xo
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the weather in DC at this time of year, but it can't hurt to take a daily 20 minute walk at noon. Try to get 20 mins of casual sun exposure that way, even if the weather conditions arent perfect. I live in Seattle, and just relocated from Boston so I feel your pain. I try to get out for a 20 min walk, even though the sun hasn't peeked out from those clouds in weeks. Seems to help
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    never thought that it mattered that much to me until i moved from DC to phoenix last year. i find i am in a much better mood all the time.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I have S.A.D and I can highly recommend a S.A.D lamp, the one I have is 10,000 lux at 24 inches. It doesnt completely cure me but does help a great deal. Everyone knows when I forget to use it...tired, lethargic couldn't care less attitude.
  • jackswife1207
    jackswife1207 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I've forced myself to get on the treadmill the last 2 evenings and I seem to have much more energy. I also slept better last night. Of course, that could have been because I knew I didn't have to go to work this morning! I also have tried to remember my second dose of calcium+D. My doctor wants me to take it and I don't always remember that second dose. Hoping the D helps also.

I'm hoping to get into that habit while I'm off work and continue it once I return.
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses! It means a lot :)