Duathalon Help

I am going to be doing a duathalon on June 24th. 2.3mi run / 20k bike / 5k run. I am not an avid runner and only jog here and there for short periods of time. I like to do more of the stepmill or treadmill-incline variances workouts, so I am accustomed to hard workouts just not running or biking. I would like some insight on information of where and how I can start training for this. I need a goal and I think this will be my goal of 2012.

Replies

• cmoe25027
    cmoe25027 Posts: 26 Member
    Look up couch 2 5k, will give you hundreds of options. My favorite was a couch to 5k app for my iPhone that utilized my own playlist and the phones gps. Good luck, hope you see your goals soon!

Cheers,
    Collin
  • shaynes14
    shaynes14 Posts: 106 Member
    Cool! I should look up duathalons! I think the C25K program might help you. It's a program that starts with walking and running, but each week they add more running time. I barely made it thru, but it was so exciting after 9 weeks to run a very slow but steady 30 minutes. Best of luck. I am off to google your event!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Where is the Duathalon?
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    It's actually more doable than you think, especially given the amount of time til the race. Like the others mentioned, follow a running program built around you current level, start cycling outdoors (when possible), and the month before the race, start practicing short bike-to-run sessions (Bricks) to get accustomed to the feeling of rubber legs when you come off the bike.

Another little tip-- hold back on the first run! You don't want to start your bike ride with an extra high heart rate.
  • BKR1977
    BKR1977 Posts: 43 Member
    AZTrailRunner said it well, but I would add in that June is a bit away. I would get a solid base on the bike. 23miles really isn't that far but it will be the majority of the race's overall time. C25k is a great start and throw in some bike. Road biking is the best prep, but a spin bike will do.

Good Luck

Brent
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    AZTrailRunner said it well, but I would add in that June is a bit away. I would get a solid base on the bike. 23miles really isn't that far but it will be the majority of the race's overall time. C25k is a great start and throw in some bike. Road biking is the best prep, but a spin bike will do.

Good Luck

Brent

^^^ Great point about building up your bike endurance.

Duathlons are tough; no two-ways about it. Just remember that whenever you're tired you can coast or walk. You'll certainly walk away with a huge feeling of accomplishment.
  • mlanser08
    mlanser08 Posts: 40 Member
    Where is the Duathalon?

Pleasant Prarie Wisconsin.

http://www.pleasantprairietriathlon.com/ Then look up the Sprint Duathalon part:)