Cheat days do not work!

Options

Replies

• Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    There's a difference between a "cheat day" and a "binge".
  • moniico_xoxo
    Options
    I think cheating can be a great tool under certain circumstances.

1) If you can have 1 cheat day per week at most, and get back on track the following day and resume your plan without fail.
    2) If you can cheat to the tune of a small surplus (I'm talking a few hundred over maintenance, not an 8k binge).

Then I think cheat days CAN be very productive and healthy.

love it .
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    If your cheat day means you ruin any deficit you've created the days before it, ie. you eat 3000 calories over maintenance then you probably will ruin your diet. Having a few hundred calories over deficit every now and then because you're treating yourself to something which is high in calories (ie. a meal where you have curry and naan bread) won't ruin your diet provided you're still in an overall deficit.
  • cheyannepritchard
    Options
    I agree it all depends on the person but I do think for myself rewarding the problem with the problem is not a great idea! For me I have taken a week of no exercise and eating whatever because my schedule is hectic with the kids being out of school for the holiday break and me just being so busy with the kids and the holiday stuff! However for me it is like a drink to a recovering alcholic its kinda scary how much my mind takes over and wants the bad stuff and looses the motivation and energy for the working out and self control!
  • Connorc12321
    Options
    What works for me is just one cheat meal once a weak not entire splurge days. Also I count the cheat meal towards my macros.Hope that clears things up.
  • michelledyan
    michelledyan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm new and I have learned that total cheat days don't work for me. I can include a little sweet in my day but not the whole box or bag. I don't feel so well if I eat the whole box or bag!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I don't have "cheat" days, I just take two days off from exercise and counting calories. As I've come along on my journey my overall eating habits have greatly improved and I don't eat nearly as much junk food as I did when I started. So now I'm at the point where I just have a nice meal at a restaurant or a yummy dessert. My days "off" have helped prevent me from feeling deprived, from having a plateau and have been an important part of my success. These days don't mean I go crazy and eat until I'm sick, they just give me a bit of a break. After all, once I reach my goal I plan on indulging now and then, why shouldn't I do it now?
  • baldchocnsexy
    Options
    Cheat days require SOME restraint. You don't for example have two or three (or four!) servings of a dessert. Having your cheat meals at a restaurant works best. You would be somewhat embarrassed asking your server for a THIRD chocolate sundae! As has been stated on this thread, timing the cheat meals on days of training are best. Cheat days work as a form of motivation. Cheat days and cheat meals can work, but are dependent upon good judgment. Frankly, some lack the self control to stop!
  • Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I think cheat days do work for some people, if i crave something i have it after weigh day on friday and then i have a week to lose any weight i have because of it and it works fine for me but i know others dont like them :) xxx
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options

1) If you can have 1 cheat day per week at most, and get back on track the following day and resume your plan without fail.
    2) If you can cheat to the tune of a small surplus (I'm talking a few hundred over maintenance, not an 8k binge).

^^^ this

I think if you are eating until you feel sick twice a week, you aren't having cheat days, you are just not on a diet. Part of this process is retraining yourself in portion control etc so out of control binging serves no purpose at all.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

^
    this

I also bust my *kitten* off to burn excess calories the day before and after. I use it as a challenge to burn as much as I can in an hour. currently my personal best is 1700 calories. I also don't make it a whole day of it. I just make it one meal. and I still track, I keep it at maintance most of the time.
  • brittanidigby
    brittanidigby Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I only have ONE cheat day a month, I think it works out better than per week.
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    My thoughts on Cheat Days, Well I'm 55 years old so I been cheating for 55 years...Cheating is OVER...How old r you?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    2 cheat days of eating until you're sick could be enough to derail all the progress.
    But why eat until you're sick??
    Just eat at maintenance or a little over. Why do that to yourself?

this. when i was losing weight i regularly had what people call a 'cheat' day as my boyfriend and i are big fans of eating out. i just made better choices than i used to, but if i fancied a pudding i would have one and not feel bad. i lost on average a pound a week and found i never craved anything as i didnt deny myself anything!

everything in moderation!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Who are you cheating, exactly?

I am struggling with the terminology.
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through the posts but all I have to say is speak for yourself. I ease up one weekends but still exercise and usually have at least one meal where I eat whatever I want without any remorse period and I've lost 60 lbs in 7 months. I can't speak for anyone else but they work for me.
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with some of the other posters.

1. 2 days per week seems excessive.
    2. Eating until you are sick does not consitute a cheat day.

I still have 1 day per week that I eat about 500 to 1000 over my usually plan which means I have one or two items that I would usually not have. Such as going out for lunch and having a Gyro and a sweet called Burma for example, but I do not binge eat or exceed 2000 calories. I am still losing so this is working for me and I really could not do it otherwise you have to learn to have the things you love in moderation later when you begin the maintenance portion of the program you may be on.
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Cheat days don't work for you...

Me personally, I can happily have a free day and have no trouble getting back on the wagon. I also don't have any problem cutting myself some slack 'because it's Saturday' without going mental and eating a massive bucket of KFC or whatever.

Also, I'd say that stipulating "I will never eat a cream cake again in my life" is unrealistic and setting yourself up for a fall. Plan these treats into your schedule as something to look forward to and you'll have less chance of cracking and bingeing out.

2 cheat days a week with COMPLETE freedom to eat ANYTHING? Seems a bit excessive... I could definitely undo a weeks worth of work with 2 completely free days. Why not have one day a week and allow yourself 500 calories over maintenance on that day instead?

Good luck!

Jay

Jay
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Glad to know they don't work for you.. but they sure do work for me, since I'm on a lifestyle change and not a diet.

I've eaten out almost everyday this week due to my mom being home for a week from work, and celebrating christmas with random friends and family. Have I gained any weight? Yea, probably.. but can it be fixed by drinking some extra water and working out a bit longer? Yes.

There is a difference between cheating(IE eating a meal out, eating an extra sweet, w/e) and full out binging like you described.
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I don't have regular cheat days, but when something special comes up I'll plan for it. And what helps me from blowing it is that while I will eat what I want, I try to stop eating slightly before I'm full. I'm doing well with smaller portions, so I don't want to streeeetch my stomach and have to readjust to smaller meals. I just tell myself I can eat more of ____ later if I still want it!