When to rest? When to workout?

Options
My shoulders feel a bit sore today and I did 40 minutes of INSANITY Asylum: Vertical Plyo this morning. I still feel GOOOOOOD and thus I want to go get some more strength training done with resistance bands and dumbbells.

Is it a smart move or a dumb move?

Recovery is important (with the sore neck and shoulders) but I also ate a lot today (beyond my calorie allowance) and I feel energetic. So ... I'm kind of conflicted.

Usually, how much do people rest? I know some do like INSANITY+jogging+yoga all in the same day just because they like it while others strongly advocate for max 4 times a week of workout, etc etc. Some people say soreness is sign to stop and rest. Others say once they workout a bit, the sore will go away.

I'm confused.

Replies

• JuniorTaitt
    JuniorTaitt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    24 hours rest
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    I'd say it sounds like its time for a rest but If you really want to burn some extra calories (totally understandable this time of year!)
    Why not lower body work... running, walking, bicycle etc.
  • leenites
    leenites Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'd say it sounds like its time for a rest but If you really want to burn some extra calories (totally understandable this time of year!)

Because after the plyometrics this morning, my knees feel a bit funny. I've had to stop working out for months due to knee injuries from high-impact Insanity moves. So I try to limit my knee usage. =)
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options

Because after the plyometrics this morning, my knees feel a bit funny. I've had to stop working out for months due to knee injuries from high-impact Insanity moves. So I try to limit my knee usage. =)

Then I'd say your best bet would be some swimming. Very gentle for both shoulders and knees and will burn those cals off!
  • leenites
    leenites Posts: 166 Member
    Options

Then I'd say your best bet would be some swimming. Very gentle for both shoulders and knees and will burn those cals off!

haha. I wish it is an option for me to swim. I cannot swim that great at all. I cannot paddle at one place and stay afloat.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    A nice brisk walk never hurt anyone :-)
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. If you are feeling "pain" then rest or work out a different set of muscles. However, if what you are feeling is just a post workout "stiffness". Do some deep stretching and keep on going.

For me there are weeks where I go crazy for the whole week. But there are also weeks where it catches up with me and I do only my scheduled classes.

Best of luck!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I would recommend at least 48 hours rest per muscle group.