Is too much protein bad?

Options
I have noticed the past couple days that my goal for protein intake has gone over. I am sure this is better than my fat or carb intake going over, but is it unhealthy to eat too much protein?

Replies

• Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    no
  • cheddle
    cheddle Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    no

+1
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Unless you are eating a ****load , no.
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options

But what # of grams is considered a ****load?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    MFP sets protein too low anyways so feel free to go over!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    'Too much' protein would be insanely higher than MFP recs. MFP's numbers are on the low side. It recommends something like 40 or 50 for me I think, but I like to go for at least 100g per day. You'd probably have to be trying really hard or else neglecting other nutrients to get 'too much' protein.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Yes, you could get the gout. But it's highly unlikely.
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    bump
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Barring unusual health issues, most people are going to have a challenge consuming a quantity of protein that would actually be dangerous.

USDA guidelines (what mfp uses for default macro values) woefully lowball protein for physically active people.

Most people will be physically fine in a range of .75 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of lean body weight (2g per kilogram if on metric). Where you fall in that range is determined by your own physiology and activity level.
  • Cr8tive_Ingenuity
    Options
    unless you have kidney problems, i wouldnt worry about high protein
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Barring unusual health issues, most people are going to have a challenge consuming a quantity of protein that would actually be dangerous.

USDA guidelines (what mfp uses for default macro values) woefully lowball protein for physically active people.

Most people will be physically fine in a range of .75 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of lean body weight (2g per kilogram if on metric). Where you fall in that range is determined by your own physiology and activity level.

This. :)
  • thinnerisstronger
    thinnerisstronger Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I find that MFP's setting is too low, so feel free to go over!
  • mahidac
    mahidac Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    too much protein is only an issue if you have kidney problems

gout is from a deficiency in the uric acid cycle, or from clearing uric acid - a high diet in protein will not precipitate gout, it usually occurs from an enzyme deficiency - the purine breakdown product from high amino acids wont cause an issue unless they have a predisposed HPGRT or XO shunt pathway abnormality. High protein plus dehydration could precipitate kidney stones - but that's a pretty extreme case (usually cysteine stones only occur with muscle breakdown)

just maintain hydration and you will be fine - you could easily consume 2g per pound of bodyweight and have nothing negative occur.
  • auctoritas
    Options

But what # of grams is considered a ****load?

Roughly more than 300g/day, depending on the person (some people can handle more just fine, some less.) But that's a LOT of protein.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Only when worn around the neck, wandering the Serengeti.:bigsmile: j/k
  • tophat1
    Options
    I always double the MFP recommendation for protein (at least) and halve the carbohydrates. Keeps me full and satisfied!
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    You an tweak your macros too to lower the carbs a bit and hike the protein, I did a lot of google searches and found more than a few that for someone engaged in weight loss and exercise that increasing protein was essential, this included the John's Hopkins website. I don't follow advice from fad diet websites, as a scientist I decided to approach this analytically in spite of everyone's hard core opinions here. I agree with many of the previous posters, you would have to be eating A LOT of protein in a day to cause any issues. Most of us wouldn't even come close even if we were really trying.
  • trackey005
    Options
    Exactly this. Couldn't have put it any better. The more strength training you do, the closer to the 1.5g/lean body weight. When you do any type of strength training, you are breaking down your muscle fibers (which are made of protein). So, in order to promote muscle growth you need to eat protein.