Explaining what "Skinny Fat" is

Options
2»

Replies

• debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    So basically Skinny Fat means you look skinny but have the health stats of a fat person?

Not really, some fat people or people with a high BMI can still have healthy stats.

My current BMI would have you believe that I am obese. I have to disagree, considering how much muscle I KNOW and can SEE that I have. The body mass index is antiquated and obsolete. It's a highly discriminatory and inaccurate gauge of the alleged healthfulness of someone's weight versus their height.
  • debussyschild
    Options
    thankyou for explaining this, as i was a little confused. and now thinking i should be doing some sort of strength training??

I recommend that everyone incorporate some form of strength training as part of their weight loss plan. Contrary to popular belief, it won't prevent weight loss, but it will help prevent muscle loss during weight loss.

YES YES AND YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love::love: :love: :love: :love:
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    So basically Skinny Fat means you look skinny but have the health stats of a fat person?

Not really, some fat people or people with a high BMI can still have healthy stats.

My current BMI would have you believe that I am obese. I have to disagree, considering how much muscle I KNOW and can SEE that I have. The body mass index is antiquated and obsolete. It's a highly discriminatory and inaccurate gauge of the alleged healthfulness of someone's weight versus their height.

Like I said in the post, BMI is really best used for measuring large groups of people, because it's easy to calculate and accurate enough that it works for defining groups of people. It's accurate about 80% of the time on an individual basis. That certainly means that some people are Overweight or Obese according to BMI but have healthy levels of body fat.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options

I think we are saying the same thing. Just wording it differently. I am the same as you, I am considered Obese by that BMI chart, but overall healthy with a Body Fat of 20%. I was referring to Skinny fat as someone who is the exact opposite of that. Someone who has a low BMI, with a higher than average Body fat. The thing that sucks for me is if I could get the loose skin removed I would be average on the BMI scale with a body fat of 10%
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I've been skinny skinny before....I had little muscle or fat and that sucked. I am planning on adding in some muscle this time, but I need to figure out how not to get so sore when I do it. I really want to build muscle, but I need to try not to hurt myself so much in the process.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I've been skinny skinny before....I had little muscle or fat and that sucked. I am planning on adding in some muscle this time, but I need to figure out how not to get so sore when I do it. I really want to build muscle, but I need to try not to hurt myself so much in the process.

Being sore is a necessary part of the muscle building process, and it doesn't mean that you're doing it wrong. It's very different from injuring yourself. The soreness does go down the longer you exercise. What are you concerned about with being sore?
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

I personally like that next-two-day soreness, lets me know I've done something.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    NightOwl, you might enjoy this. Check out the video of a 38 year old, 300+ pound 30+ BF% woman working hard and lifting heavy!
    Skinny-Fat and Moral Panic
    MAY 17

If you haven’t heard this let me fill you in: “Skinnyfat” is a term used to describe people who are thin but not healthy – they may lack muscle tone, be sedentary, have poor eating habits, be genetically unhealthy etc.

Looking further into the use of this word you can see how incredibly gendered the whole situation is by seeing the bodies that are primarily targeted. There are no famous men whose names have been drug into the debate but people like Nicole Richie, Gwyneth Paltrow and other female entertainers who look skinny but have a “high” percentage of body fat.

The Today Show taped a segment back in October about the new “phenomenon” where they measured women who fall into a “normal” BMI and found their percentage of body fat. Throughout the whole segment, the behaviors of being health eating well and exercising were discussed but those were not used as indicators of good health. They used the level of body fat, in the one women discussed she had 27%, and indicated that it was cause for concern. This was yet again another discussion based within the moral panic of fat, not actually talking about the health effects of not eating well or exercising but labeling fat as bad.

The discussion could have been positive if they had only talked about habits over body composition. If they talked about the fact that body size is not an indicator of good health this could have been a positive discussion because it would of discussed the things that fat activism has been saying all along, that habits matter not size. Instead what it actually appears to be doing is creating more panic about fat in bodies when there doesn’t need to be. But what actually brought me to looking more into this subject was not Regan’s post but a friend who directed me to a post made by the gym CrossFit (their South Bay, CA location to be exact.)

For those of you who are not aware of this gym, I would personally categorize it as a high intensity, ultra expensive (monthly dues average $150) gym that caters to people who are very athletic or want to be. I do think that their team mentality can be very motivating but as someone who sees the way this kind of gym could be not accessible to all people of ability and income as well as a potentially bad environment for someone with an eating disorder (their post is a great example of this), I would never join this gym.

This is where the CrossFit article comes in, the premise that they are trying to put across is that CF is for all women and that they get a lot of questions from potential members who are scared that they will “bulk up” if they join. They explain that they will actually gain what they consider to be a “lean toned body”, with a low body level of body fat.

I would disagree with their definition of toned, as it actually has more to do with the state or condition of the muscle, not the appearance of it under the skin. Basically you can tone your muscle without being able to see it (See video below)

This is not a response that I would be surprised to get if I was a trainer, sadly the way female beauty ideals dictate that women be waif thin without any apparent muscle tone is a reality.

What really stuck out to me was the body shaming that then ensued near the middle of the article where they compared the body of a crossfitter and a model, which the author said both had a body fat percentage between 12-15%. I’m not sure if CF strives for all of their members to get to this low of a percentage but it is extremely low. After reading this article I reached out to fellow blogger Ashley Solomon Psy. D, a therapist who specializes in the treatment of eating disorders, body image, trauma, and serious mental illness. ( <– Totally stole that from her site…Thanks Ashley!) She blogs at Nourishing-the-Soul.com

When asked about what levels of body fat is a cause for concern and the health consequences of it, this was her response,
    "I always hesitate to indicate a certain number as too high or too low due to the fact that each individual’s body is very different. In a room of ten people with the same body fat percentage, you could find ten different weights, shapes, and health statuses. That said, for women I would consider 14% to be very low. It could be healthy for a very active woman, one we would consider an athlete. But that would be the low end for an athlete, in my opinion. Again, this is not to say that someone lower (or much, much higher) would be unhealthy per se, but this would definitely be concerning.

The 12-14% you mention is the essential body fat, what would be minimally required for functioning. At low body fat percentage, a woman will stop menstruating (some say at lower than 17%), as you said, and runs the risk of losing bone density. Hormone production decreases and immune functioning decreases as well, making one more vulnerable to illness. One could be weak and fatigued easily and have difficulty recovering from illness and injury."

What has always been a cause for concern over CF is the fact that it is such an intense experience, creating the very place where female athletes could fall into a pattern of extreme exercising and dieting. Contributing to this concern was the articles further body shaming of fat bodies by assuming that someone with 30% body fat or above has no muscle mass at all and all I have to do is show you this video below to show you that is completely false.

http://youtu.be/YVVzgtp0_to

Aside from that, either person the model or the athlete has the possibility to have health consequences, it doesn’t matter if you have muscle mass or not, having that low of a body fat percentage is cause for concern. Proving even further that bodies, skinny, “athletic” or fat can be healthy or unhealthy it’s all about each individual person not the way their body appears on the outside.

The use of the term skinny-fat yet again creates an even more stringent and small window where bodies must be within to be considered morally sound and sadly, CrossFit appears to be just another gym that not only is contributing to this moral panic but trying to profit from it as well.

Note: I have not found any place that CrossFit specifically recommended that low body fat is required for good health, but some places have. Making this whole use of the term skinny-fat even more scary and potentially hazardous.

*wow, the author really bashes CrossFit. Sorry about that. :ohwell:
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    First off, thank you for explaining "skinny fat". It is confusing and I've read and heard so many different descriptions - a lot of which were confusing to understand. So, thank you.

I've actually been kind of worried lately that I fell into the "skinny fat" category based on what I've read about it. But, my BMI and my body fat percentage fall right in the middle of "normal" for my height.
  • debussyschild
    Options

I think we are saying the same thing. Just wording it differently. I am the same as you, I am considered Obese by that BMI chart, but overall healthy with a Body Fat of 20%. I was referring to Skinny fat as someone who is the exact opposite of that. Someone who has a low BMI, with a higher than average Body fat. The thing that sucks for me is if I could get the loose skin removed I would be average on the BMI scale with a body fat of 10%

Agreed :drinker:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am in the 20%, Obese BMI of 30.7 with an average Body Fat% of 20%. Or in layman's terms, Obese but healthy. I will roll with that.

If your body fat is 20%, you are not obese.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am in the 20%, Obese BMI of 30.7 with an average Body Fat% of 20%. Or in layman's terms, Obese but healthy. I will roll with that.

If your body fat is 20%, you are not obese.

Sorry I meant Obese by BMI standards, but healthy by Body Fat Standards or a term, I may have made up Fit Fat
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    *wow, the author really bashes CrossFit. Sorry about that. :ohwell:

All of my professors bash CrossFit too, because some of their gyms (or at least the ones around here) use horrible form and don't adhere to the standards of practice we're taught in certification or the bachelors in exercise physiology classes. Based on the fact that the worst form seems to be what goes viral on youtube, they get the impression that all CrossFit studios are that way, so they feel justified in bashing the whole thing. I'm sure just like any other certification agency, there are good instructors and bad instructors and the bad ones give the good ones a bad reputation, just like the bad ACE trainers give good ACE trainers a bad reputation and so on with every organization out there. But because of the viral video craze and the fact that CrossFit is the popular thing, I'm betting it will be hard to find a fitness professional who hasn't actually seen the CrossFit certification materials who won't bash it, unfortunately.
  • rentrikin
    rentrikin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. I hope many MFPers will be able to read your post. I'm surprised that many people here, who the majority is from the US, doesn't know or understand the word that originated from the very same country as theirs. I'm not American nor I live in US but I understand that term more than themselves & which is why I'm pursuing to have a lean BF%. I came across a forum days ago wherein the OP said something weird that skinny fat is her goal & even bragged that she worked in a healthcare industry for years & yet appears very ignorant when it comes to her fitness goals. :ohwell: