stuffing help!!!

Options
JamesonsMommy
JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
I need help with a good stuffing recipe :) Not trying to make it healthy or anything.. just good old traditional stuffing inside the bird. I've always made it on the side but the hubby wants a stuffed bird. Tips for cooking a turkey would be awesome too since i usually make ham...lol

Replies

• Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Heres some tips: (Not low cal though.........)

Cooking a turkey:

- separate the skin from the flesh at the top with your hands and stuff with butter and fresh sage- this will baste the bird when cooking.

- top the bird with streaky bacon, this will also keep in moisture.

- halfway though cooking, turn the turkey over onto its back and cook. The juices will run back through.

Stuffing balls: (adjust ratios according to how many you are serving. This will make about 12 balls)

1 pack good quality sausages, skinned and meat put in a bowl.
    2 tbsp fresh cranberries, or 1 tbsp cranberry sauce.
    1/2 chopped apple
    fresh sage, parsley & thyme
    1/2 cup breadcrumbs
    1/2 large onion, chopped, sauteed and cooled
    1/2 pack smoked bacon, chopped, sauteed and cooled (about 4-6 rashers)
    salt & pepper
    pinch of allspice

combine everything in a bowl and shape into golf sized balls. Cook at 200 degrees celcius (400 farenheit) for about 25-30 mins.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I usually just buy stove top or any other package and doctor it up!!

For the turkey, I use a roasting pan with a cover........put carrots and celery in the bottom of the pan and use as a 'rack' for the turkey.

Spread some olive oil or butter all over the skin, and then season with season salt. Cover turkey and cook away! To get the crispy skin, just cook with the lid off for the last hour or so.

Always comes out super super moist and delicious!

good luck!
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options

Stuffing balls: (adjust ratios according to how many you are serving. This will make about 12 balls)

1 pack good quality sausages, skinned and meat put in a bowl.
    2 tbsp fresh cranberries, or 1 tbsp cranberry sauce.
    1/2 chopped apple
    fresh sage, parsley & thyme
    1/2 cup breadcrumbs
    1/2 large onion, chopped, sauteed and cooled
    1/2 pack smoked bacon, chopped, sauteed and cooled (about 4-6 rashers)
    salt & pepper
    pinch of allspice

combine everything in a bowl and shape into golf sized balls. Cook at 200 degrees celcius (400 farenheit) for about 25-30 mins.

these sound so good! I will have to give them a try
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    This is my grandmother's recipe so you know it's not healthy but it is sooooo good!

Title of Recipe Chestnut and Oyster Turkey Stuffing

Number of Servings stuffs 20lb. Bird Serving Size 1 cup

Pan Size use as Turkey stuffing

Ingredients in order of use:
    1. 16 oz. pkg Pepperidge Farm Herb Stuffing 8. 2 pints oysters, cut up
    2. 16 oz. pkg Pepperidge Farm Corn Bread Stuffing 9. 1 lb. chestnuts
    3. 2 large eggs 10. poultry seasoning to taste
    4. 49 1/2 oz chicken broth 11. salt and pepper to taste
    5. 2 sticks butter
    6. 1 or 2 large vidalia onions (to taste)
    7. 2 stalks celery

Step by Step Directions:
    The night before you need the stuffing, prepare the chestnuts. On the flat side of the chestnut, make a deep X. Put the chestnuts
    in water to cover and bring to a rolling boil and boil for 5 minutes. Turn off stove and cover pot with lid. Take out a few chestnuts at
    a time and peel the outer skin off. Refrigerate the chestnut meat. (Warning: this burns your hands! But it is worth it)

Chop onions and celery and saute in 2-4 tablespoons butter to precook. In a large bowl, beat 2 eggs and add the stuffing mixes,
    chestnuts, and seasonings-stir to combine. Strain oyster liquid to remove any shells and set aside.In a large pot, bring chicken
    broth to a boil and add the sauteed onions and celery. When it comes back to a boil, add the oysters and oyster liquid. Cook for 1
    to 2 minutes to heat the oysters through. Do not overcook. Add the liquid mixture to the crumb mixture and mix together. The stuffing
    should be moist-add more broth as needed and taste for seasoning.

Stuff the turkey and bake any remainder in a casserole dish. If you do not want to stuff the turkey, bake the stuffing in 2 deep
    casserole dishes for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

I cook my turkey the same as dargytaylor and it's always good!
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!!! going to use a couple tips from each one of you :)
  • loserMC
    loserMC Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've never stuffed a bird?? I always use my nannie's recipe. So simple. Pound of breakfast sausage -- cooked and then drained on towels. Use drippings from sausage to saute onion and celery. Cut up day old bread in to medium sized cubes. Mix the sausage, veggies, and bread. Pour stock over mixture -- chicken or turkey -- and allow to sit while bread soaks up stock. Bake at 325-350 for a while, I don't know 30 to 45 minutes? So darn easy and super yummy!!
  • skmolove
    skmolove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'v been using mfp for a week now & was doing my food log, my search for clam balls lead me here. nothing came up for clam balls in database. has any one heard of them or ate them? they are similar to stuffing balls that someone mentioned. my family has been making them for years during the holidays. The database seems to have everything possible listed so i just find it hard to believe that clam balls aren't listed...must be a regional food in my part of PA, ya think?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Go to marthastewart.com.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/grandmas-corn-bread-dressing/detail.aspx

Until I tried this, I like stovetop better than any other stuffing I had. It is delicious!
  • skmolove
    skmolove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thank You!
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If you really have no idea, ask his mother/sisters/aunts. The secret of a happy marriage is turkey stuffing compatibility. The two of you should have explored this before you got married ;)

A good basic bread stuffing:

Stuffing
    for a......................for a
    small turkey..........20lb turkey
    1 lb......................3 lb................white bread loaves, cubed and allowed to dry
    .................................................a few hours to be dry outside and moist inside
    1 2/3 cups............5 cups............chopped celery (will need two heads celery for large recipe)
    2/3 cups...............2 cups............chopped onions
    1/3 stick...............1 stick............unsalted butter, melted
    1/3 tsp.................1 tsp...............salt
    1 1/3 tsp..............4 tsp...............McCormick’s Poultry Seasoning (use more if not a fresh bottle)
    1.........................1.....................nose of another loaf of bread

Mix bread cubes, onions and celery in a large plastic bag (such as a kitchen trash bag). Pour melted butter over them and shake to mix. Add salt and poultry seasoning and shake again. Best if refrigerated overnight.

Stuff turkey neck and body cavities. Use needle and buttonhole thread to sew up cavities, using nose of bread to cover any gap in body cavity that cannot be covered. It is easiest to sew if you have a hemostat to grip the needle. Use more thread to truss wings and legs against body. Thoroughly wash everything that has touched the raw bird.

If you are cooking it outside the bird, don't dry the bread cubes. Put a half cup of broth in the bottom of a crockpot and cook on low several hours, turning occasionally to prevent browning on the bottom.

I used to always use Pepperidge Farm white bread, but this year it balled up like Wonder Bread. I'll have to find another type of bread for next Thanksgiving.